| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 83  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:26 am 
Inflexitarian

i have been getting cheered on and other positive comments from people as i ride around this past week or so...i love feeling so much solidarity with other bikers this time of year. also i am somewhat perversely looking forward to when it gets even colder and snowier in chicago than it has been, and i will start biking around in my new (to me) SNOW PANTS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I got out and clocked 10 k yesterday (first time it hasn't been raining and was actually sunny) I forgot how good riding makes me feel!

(I've no choice though now, seeing as my bus pass expires in three days. : P) Best way to get out on the bike.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

It's 40ºF here and sloppy and disgustingly not winter-like. I want snow. I had to take off my mittens last night on the way home. I clearly need to move farther north.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:22 pm 
Inflexitarian

Catalina wrote:
It's 40ºF here and sloppy and disgustingly not winter-like. I want snow. I had to take off my mittens last night on the way home. I clearly need to move farther north.

It was almost 60 here the other day! It was so springy, totally weird and wrong. But today, back down to 20 with bitingly cold wind. My thumbs got so cold through my mittens while I was biking that they were rather painful even after I was inside and they warmed up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hey, so I have a question. Can anyone recommend some caliper brakes that fit knobby tires? I'd to put some on my fixed gear but I would need a front brake with wider clearance to fit them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Dane wrote:
Hey, so I have a question. Can anyone recommend some caliper brakes that fit knobby tires? I'd to put some on my fixed gear but I would need a front brake with wider clearance to fit them.

what size tires?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:

what size tires?

I was given a set of 700 X 32 cyclocross tires, so that's what I was going to try an use. My brake now technically fits around them, but there is barely any clearance. If I ultimately can't use them no worries, but they're a nice set of tires so I thought I'd give them a shot if I could find a reasonably priced front brake.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am a bicycling badass, I just got my street cred today! Riding in the snow! : D I hate riding in the snow, but I love the responses I get...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 am 

Dane wrote:
Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:

what size tires?

I was given a set of 700 X 32 cyclocross tires, so that's what I was going to try an use. My brake now technically fits around them, but there is barely any clearance. If I ultimately can't use them no worries, but they're a nice set of tires so I thought I'd give them a shot if I could find a reasonably priced front brake.

hmm you might be able to get away with a long reach brake caliper. something along these lines: http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Nexus-Brake ... 5adbe6d073

i have a set of shimanos at home i could measure for you. what is the approx wide with the knobs of your tire and ill check if they would work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:18 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

On the way home from work, went out on lake mendota to take in the view.

it was around 20F. Warmer than it had been for a few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 am 
Nailed to the V

Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:
Eric. wrote:

what size tires?

hmm you might be able to get away with a long reach brake caliper. something along these lines: http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Nexus-Brake ... 5adbe6d073

i have a set of shimanos at home i could measure for you. what is the approx wide with the knobs of your tire and ill check if they would work.

From the rim to the top of the tire it is 2.2cm, they are 3.5cm wide. If you could measure I'd REALLY appreciate it! It's starting to get snowy here and I'd love to get out on this bike over my mountain bike!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I want to ride on a lake! We have a small river across the street from us that is used for cross country skiing, I bet I could ride on it.

Tonight we're putting together my winter commuter. A free frame, possibly free fenders, scavenging spare parts from our collection and freebies from the shop. Should be pretty decent by the time we're done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:43 am 

Dane wrote:
From the rim to the top of the tire it is 2.2cm, they are 3.5cm wide. If you could measure I'd REALLY appreciate it! It's starting to get snowy here and I'd love to get out on this bike over my mountain bike!!

alright so i measured and the reach (height) is ~2" (5.08cm) and ~1.75" (4.445cm)

what i would suggest is to measure from the center of the braking surface on the rim to the hole in the fork (vertically) to tell if these will have the reach. I can measure that tonight and give you those numbers as well.

Catalina wrote:
Tonight we're putting together my winter commuter. A free frame, possibly free fenders, scavenging spare parts from our collection and freebies from the shop. Should be pretty decent by the time we're done.

nice! just keep in mind you want your winter commuter to be the most dependable bike in your fleet. Last thing you want is a long walk to or from work :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:43 am 
Nailed to the V

Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:

alright so i measured and the reach (height) is ~2" (5.08cm) and ~1.75" (4.445cm)

what i would suggest is to measure from the center of the braking surface on the rim to the hole in the fork (vertically) to tell if these will have the reach. I can measure that tonight and give you those numbers as well.

I appreciate that. I'll give it a measure this evening!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:18 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I finally have a bike. It's a Trek 531 that I bought for a song from Melisser, and I've only had the chance to ride it up and down the block, really.

I'm not very confident riding in the city, and I haven't bought a lock yet. I also want to get rid of the quick release on my front wheel. However, I've signed up for an urban cycling workshop offered by the local bike coalition, so I'm excited about that. I would like to get to a place where I can commute to work by bike (it's not far, but I have to bring a heavy bag with me, and navigate some fairly busy downtown streets) and where I can start training to do longer/harder rides.

The weather is beautiful today, so I may just try to get up my gumption to take my bike on the bus and head out to the trail that runs along the beach to just tool around. Happy biking!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

jordanpattern wrote:
I finally have a bike. It's a Trek 531 that I bought for a song from Melisser, and I've only had the chance to ride it up and down the block, really.

I'm not very confident riding in the city, and I haven't bought a lock yet. I also want to get rid of the quick release on my front wheel. However, I've signed up for an urban cycling workshop offered by the local bike coalition, so I'm excited about that. I would like to get to a place where I can commute to work by bike (it's not far, but I have to bring a heavy bag with me, and navigate some fairly busy downtown streets) and where I can start training to do longer/harder rides.

The weather is beautiful today, so I may just try to get up my gumption to take my bike on the bus and head out to the trail that runs along the beach to just tool around. Happy biking!

The SF Bicycling map, which I'm sure you have, is a godsend. I loved commuting through different neighbourhoods! At first I got a bit stressed around Market but there are enough fellow cyclists to copy to keep you feeling pretty chill. Can you bring your bike into your office with you? Bicycle theft in SF didn't seem as bad as in Vancouver, but I did get my seat stolen twice, in the middle of the day (parked on Valencia).

Man, I miss my commutes! Happy cycling, Jordan!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Damn Zero! You are a bad asparagus!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:22 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

jordanpattern wrote:
I also want to get rid of the quick release on my front wheel.

Congrats!

If I were you I would keep the quick release (flats are a reality even with liners / gatorskins) and get a cable to go with the U-lock I imagine you have in mind.

Unless there is a compelling reason to swap it out?

Happy riding!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

congratulations on your bike, jordan! fyi, it's just as easy for people to steal wheels with quick release hubs. personally i use two small u-locks, one through the front wheel and one through the rear wheel inside the triangle area of the frame. check out sheldon brown's explanation with a picture demonstration!
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

i've been such a badass with my snow riding so far, but today there was at least an inch of ice on every street and sidewalk and i had to just give up and walk the last couple miles to get to school. walking was probably just as dangerous, though! it was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Dane wrote:
Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:

I appreciate that. I'll give it a measure this evening!

Looks like it is about 2.25 inches. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

fed up of the cold, wet winter weather now, so here's a photo from last july of me riding in the first (and last!) MTB race i took part in since the early 90s...

it was a weekend long event comprising some relatively simple trials obstacles, a mini-DH race (this photo was during that part) and then a 2 hour XC race the following day, with starting time decided by scores/penalties accrued from the 2 events of the preceding day. all had to be done on the same bike/tyres, so it was kind of a test of all-round ability basically. just like the old MTB races used to be. the emphasis was much more on the social element of it though; 300 odd mountain bikers hanging out in an old disused quarry for a weekend was always going to be a good time. out of all of us, there were 7 vegans. and i knew all of the others already, ha!

i can't wait for there to be dry, dusty trails again this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:34 pm 

Dane wrote:

sorry for the long delay, ~2.25inches as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

mooo wrote:
congratulations on your bike, jordan! fyi, it's just as easy for people to steal wheels with quick release hubs. personally i use two small u-locks, one through the front wheel and one through the rear wheel inside the triangle area of the frame. check out sheldon brown's explanation with a picture demonstration!
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

i've been such a badass with my snow riding so far, but today there was at least an inch of ice on every street and sidewalk and i had to just give up and walk the last couple miles to get to school. walking was probably just as dangerous, though! it was ridiculous.

Mostly, the quick release makes me nervous that the wheel will fall off, or that I'll improperly (or forget completely to) reconnect the brakes. I took an urban cycling class the other day, though, and the instructor recommended the two u-lock method. He also said that in SF, cable locks (even the good ones) are completely useless, so I'm looking for two good u-locks. And a good helmet - I don't like the hand-me-down I have right now!

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

Eric. wrote:
Dane wrote:

sorry for the long delay, ~2.25inches as well.

Coolness. I appreciate all your help with this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:31 am 

if you find a shop by you that had some in stock throw those tires on and see if theyll let you test fit them real quick since it could be a tight fit reach wise. also if your not scared to use a dremel a bit you can always extend the reach by grinding the brake a bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 83  Next