| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:33 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

...because I can't stop talking/thinking about my IUD. Mine's fine, how are yours?

Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:06 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't have one. What's having one like? Does it give you magic powers?

My best friend asked me about it, and I don't really know anything about IUDs, except it goes inside the uterus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

CNA wrote:
I don't have one. What's having one like? Does it give you magic powers?

My best friend asked me about it, and I don't really know anything about IUDs, except it goes inside the uterus.

There are 2 kinds that work in different ways and have different effects on the body.

The copper IUD (brand name Paraguard in the US) is non hormonal. It works mostly thanks to the spermicide effect of the copper. It lasts around 10 years. It tends to make one's periods a bit heavier.

The hormonal IUD (brand name Mirena all over the world) contains the same hormones as the implant. It works mostly by thickening the cervical mucus to stop sperms from climbing up the cervix. It lasts 5 years. Like all stuff hormonal, it affects the periods a little bit: some people spot a lot, some people have lighter periods, some people see their periods disappear alltogether.

The non hormonal IUD is the most widely form of reversible contraception used worldwide. Both have very high success rates, both in perfect and typical use, higher than the pill. Both can be used by childless women, although some doctors still don't know this. However, neither are all that comfortable to have inserted if nothing has been through your cervix before.
The Wikipedia articles are a good place to start reading:
Mirena and copper IUD.
The IUD Divas livejournal group has lots of testimonials.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely pass it on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Mine is fantastical and I love it! Three friends were interested after I got mine, they all got one (one got mirena, two got paragard) and they love them too!

IUD revolution!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:10 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Update on mine:

The Mirena has been in for about 6 weeks now. I need to schedule my check up. For those who were following before, I was concerned because the string was poking my boyfriend. SInce then, it's "softened" up or moved around and he doesn't feel it as often. Yay! Let's hope it stays that way. If it does, I'm going to be 100% thrilled with my IUD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had one placed after the birth of my daughter in 2008, but after a year of constant spotting I had it pulled out. I wonder if it was because it was the Mirena? How are the copper IUD's? I'm fine with heavier periods, just as long as I don't bleed in between them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Mine is lovely. I have a copper one. It has given me no trouble since I got it a year and a half ago

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Oh and I have a Mirena, got it in March 09. I haven never been pregnant and do want children some day ; my idea was that since I travel a lot I wanted a means of contraception that was not doctor dependent.
Now I have drawn out but very light periods, too light to use my cup except for 2 days. I kept my strings long, and they tickle my partner but not in a bad way. The only bad thing is that now, just before my period, I get cervix cramps on top of good ol' uterine cramps, and they suck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I love mine so much I got my teenager one...getting pregnant by looking at a cute boy runs in the family.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Mine made it to the new boards safe and sound. I <3 it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:29 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Mine (and I've named him Trevor), is just fine. He's been with me since July 2009 and we're totally best buddies. No problems with him at all since he settled in.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:41 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

Ok, I am really interested in getting one but I'm concerned about the pain. How badly does it hurt when first inserted?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:47 am 
Level 7 Vegan

thisheregiraffe wrote:
Ok, I am really interested in getting one but I'm concerned about the pain. How badly does it hurt when first inserted?

How much pain killers are you willing to take? I took about 350mg of vicoden before I went to the office. Then, they gave me 800mg of ibprofen.

And it still hurt. And my butt was clenched so hard that it was lifting off the table. The doctor kept telling me to lower my butt. She said it took longer for me because I hadn't had a child.

The pain is not enough to scare you off though. It's so brief and the payoff makes it worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:28 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made an appointment to talk about getting an IUD next week.

What is everyone's experience with Paragard? I am trying to avoid hormonal birth control at all costs, so I hope this will work out okay.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Here is my experience with Paragard!

I've just hit the one-month mark with my Paragard, and it has been a fantastic experience so far. I'm 25, np (nulliparous, ie, never pregnant), and had only ever used condoms as contraception.

Insertion was a little painful, but only for the sounding (3 seconds of one really bad cramp), and then for the insertion itself, which lasted maybe, at the outside, 20 seconds because my gynecologist had a little trouble releasing the IUD from it's little insertion tube. I had taken 800mg of ibuprofen beforehand, and took smaller doses every 6 hours throughout the day. My cramps that day were about on par with bad period cramps. I only spotted that day, and even then, not very much. I occasionally spot after sex now, but we're talking just a bit of red in my discharge, not any real bleeding.

Pre-IUD, my period was 4 days long and consisted of half a day of [i]terrible/i[] cramps, and only two heavy days. My first IUD period was 3 days of cramps (first day terrible, the other two just annoying but not bad), all Ibuprofen-treatable, and lasted 5 days of heavy bleeding.

My insurance would only cover IUDs AFTER my deductible, but my deductible is higher than the IUD, so it ended up costing me $500. (Which is less than two years' worth of condoms, so it's worth it for me as long as it stays in for the next two years!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

Love my IUD! Best decision I ever made. That and the decision to be born. Because that was my decision, after all.

ETA: mine is Mirena, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited by walrus on Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:43 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Karma007 wrote:
I love mine so much I got my teenager one...getting pregnant by looking at a cute boy runs in the family.

mom of year nomination!

My year and a half Mirena is great.
I don't get periods anymore from the hormones, which is disturbing at first if you have always used a period as "nope, not knocked up."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 am 
Level 7 Vegan

truepeacenik wrote:
My year and a half Mirena is great.
I don't get periods anymore from the hormones, which is disturbing at first if you have always used a period as "nope, not knocked up."

I think that's where I'm headed. I was supposed to get my period the day I got my IUD. Just got some spotting a couple days later. Now, I'm about a week after when I should have started and no spotting, nothing. I think I'm done with the periods.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Mine (T-380A) is freaking dynamite! I've had it for almost four years now. Periods every 4 months or so, and no side effects. I had a slight scare a few months ago when I could no longer feel the strings but got an ultrasound to confirm it was still hanging out up there.

I can't believe more (North American) women don't use them!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:19 am 
protein lump

Una wrote:
I had one placed after the birth of my daughter in 2008, but after a year of constant spotting I had it pulled out. I wonder if it was because it was the Mirena? How are the copper IUD's? I'm fine with heavier periods, just as long as I don't bleed in between them.

i've had a paraguard for a little over 3 years. in that time i've had 2 bouts of between-period bleeding that has been fairly intense. the last bout was over the summer... maybe july? i bled for 19 days straight. it was mostly light enough that i didn't even have to wear a pad - mostly just dark underpants just in case. but, goddamn, it was annoying.

overall, though, i love it and would recommend it to anyone. even with the little annoying bits that come with it.

(aelle mentioned cervix cramps. i get those too sometimes and.... ow!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:22 pm 

Yeah, cervix cramps are the worst!

Still all worth it though, mainly because of the no-hormone thing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

aelle wrote:
Oh and I have a Mirena, got it in March 09. I haven never been pregnant and do want children some day ; my idea was that since I travel a lot I wanted a means of contraception that was not doctor dependent.
Now I have drawn out but very light periods, too light to use my cup except for 2 days. I kept my strings long, and they tickle my partner but not in a bad way. The only bad thing is that now, just before my period, I get cervix cramps on top of good ol' uterine cramps, and they suck.

Huh, my gyno said that I shouldn't use my cup to be safe. You use yours and don't feel it pulling on your Mirena? My fear is the suction will pull it right out! Which probably won't happen, but I can't help but think it will!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:26 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I love love love my copper IUD. I have a Nova-T (the copper one available in Canada) and I have short, (4-5 days) heavy but pain-free periods.

I think more women should have access to information about the IUD, as well as a choice in their birth control method. I found it incredibly difficult to find a doctor who would be willing to insert my IUD as I am nulliparous... I had to go to the abortion clinic to get it done. I saw three gynecologists before that who just wanted to put me on the pill. I left so many offices in disgust.

And I've had it for 4 years now, and I can't get a straight answer on what I should do from here on in - does anyone know if I need to have it replaced? The literature that came with the IUD said replace after three years, but last year when I went to have it done the doctor said it's better not to disturb it because the next one could be expelled. (?)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:20 pm 

You just freaked me out! I also have the Nova-T, which I thought was identical to the Paraguard, and thus fine to leave in for years. But I just looked it up on rxmeds and it says 30 months! (!!) I've had mine for about four years. I know it's still working and all, but now I'm paranoid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next