| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Types of massages
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Abelskiver wrote:
When I made the appointment I said I didn't have a gender preference but when they scheduled me with a male I kind of thought "uh oh". Luckily the therapist made me feel really comfortable and I would totally book him again.

They asked me and my boyfriend that too for our couples massage. We said we had no preference. They gave him a woman and me a man. I wondered if that did that because men could be more uncomfortable with other men touching them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

graffitipassion wrote:
Abelskiver wrote:
When I made the appointment I said I didn't have a gender preference but when they scheduled me with a male I kind of thought "uh oh". Luckily the therapist made me feel really comfortable and I would totally book him again.

They asked me and my boyfriend that too for our couples massage. We said we had no preference. They gave him a woman and me a man. I wondered if that did that because men could be more uncomfortable with other men touching them?

maybe, but i know my husband would be annoyed. he fondly refers to our old massage therapist as "man hands."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

an ex was a massage therapist. of all the different kinds of massages she gave me, the deep tissue one was my favorite (except for the obvious other kind).

Blog: http://blogthejerk.blogspot.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mikedesert
Band: http://www.myspace.com/hornssf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:45 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Son of Seitan wrote:
(except for the obvious other kind).

Hey-ooo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

The lactic acid myth has been around for a long time, but the most recent research shows that massage actually inhibits the release of lactic acid from the muscles. This isn't a problem, though, seeing as research also shows that lactic acid, far from being the cause of delayed-onset muscle soreness, is actually an important fuel for certain types of cells in the body. So massage is still a good idea.

That being said, water is a good idea too! Soreness after a massage can be expected for up to 72 hours, depending on the type of massage given. If you're still sore after that, there's a problem with how you were treated.

Kat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I think I am injured from my massage. It's been a week and my shoulder still hurts. It does often hurt, but hadn't for some time before the massage, so I can't be sure, but I don't think I'm going back, at least until I figure out what is wrong with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

rachell37 wrote:
CQ, you might be able to answer this: Is there any particular benefit to hot stone massage compared to a regular massage?

Usually what I tell people about a hot stone massage is this: if you can afford it, it's worth trying at least once to see if you enjoy it. Some people LOVE hot stone massage, and if you're someone who LOVES it, that's the benefit right there, and you'll only find that out if you try it. Some people don't like it at all, and so for them obviously it's not worth it. Personally, I love GIVING hot stone massages, but I don't like receiving them as much. So I wouldn't go get one myself, but I do recommend them because I know that for people who do love them, they're GREAT. If you enjoy it, it can be an even more relaxing experience than a regular massage. (And of course, if you don't enjoy it, it won't be relaxing at all, so you'll just not get one again and go get a massage that you do enjoy next time.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:06 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

seitanicverses wrote:
Do you have any thoughts on deep tissue massages?

"Deep tissue massage" is a different thing from "a nice, deep massage". Most people who request "deep tissue massage" really just want a nice, deep massage. Deep tissue massage specifically targets your "deep tissues" -- the muscles that are "deepest" in your body/furthest away from the surface. If you're having a problem with your deep tissues, deep tissue massage can address it. Swedish massage, which is what most people really want when they ask for a deep massage, is also sometimes called "sports massage" -- if you hear someone say they practice "sports massage", it's really the same thing as Swedish massage. What you probably want, it sounds like, is a Swedish massage, and you'd ask your massage therapist to use "deep pressure".

Quote:
Will I have to get naked with a stranger?

There is no reason why you should have to get naked. If your massage therapist tells you to take off more clothing than you are comfortable with, find a different massage therapist! Yes, there are some techniques that are less effective if you've got clothes on, but if you're not comfortable, your massage therapist should be able to use a different technique on you. I always tell clients to get "as undressed as you're comfortable". If someone prefers to be naked, that's fine. If someone wants their massage through a snowsuit and raincoat, that's fine too, we'll find something that works for you. The WHOLE POINT of a massage is for you to be comfortable and get YOUR needs met.

The massage therapist should be using proper draping techniques too, so even if you are naked or mostly-naked, you would be covered with a sheet (both for modesty and so you stay warm!) except for the part(s) they are working on at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

When I got my massage the therapist said that exact phrase! So I kept ye 'ol pantaloons on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

If you like an elbow burrowing into your knots, you want deep tissue. For me it helped more than going to a chiropractor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This thread prompted me to book a massage for this Sunday. I'm excited!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I just booked a 80 minute therapeutic massage, because my muscles have been sore and I have stress headaches weekly. I get kinda jumpy when sensitive places on my body are being touched, should I point those out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm so happy you guys are getting massages! Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i've gotten two deep tissue massages in the last couple of months for my frozen shoulder. i think he focuses mostly on just trying to separate my muscles and tissue n stuff, since it is all fused together, but it is a pretty painful experience and hurts for a couple of days afterward. i do think it helps tho. i go to a wellness center, the same place where i get my acupuncture. it's $77 for the massage and i tip $10.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:49 am 
Bathes in Braggs

by the way, the ex I spoke of was always "trading massages" with other massage therapists, and she'd complain about certain ones "not digging deep enough" and being crappy. I'm no expert, but it's pretty common sense that if you have a bad experience, find someone else...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:49 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I often go to a walk in Japanese style clothed massage place. I love that they can nearly always fit me in even though I'm too slack and indecisive to make a booking. I love having my shoulders done on the funny chairs - they get really tight from the way I sit working on documents at my desk, and from carrying bags around on one shoulder. I do find that it does tighten up again over time and I feel like I need to go once a week, but it definitely sorts out the pain on the day, which makes it seem worth going.

I've tried lots of the Asian-style walk in places in the city centre and this place is my favourite because you can pick the time you want (from 10 mins onwards) and tell them where you want them to work on - the other places have 'set menu' type massages of fixed times. I also find this place much better at solving specific pain issues, and I'm almost never sore the following day. When I go to other places I don't feel like they quite hit the spot as well, and I do tend to be quite tender for a day or so afterwards.

I'd love to ask a question of the massage therapists here though - what is the purpose of the elbow to the butt-cheek maneuver?? (I'm sure it's an elbow, with all their body weight into it). When I have longer table massages at Asian places they usually do it and I find it incredibly painful! I am very overweight so maybe they are missing the spot, or maybe I just have some sort of ultra tight butt muscle from wearing my Earth shoes. I don't know a polite enough way to say 'please don't elbow me in the butt during this massage' to people who may not speak enough English to know what I'm on about. :/ I should though. I'm terrible at speaking up, although this one usually hurts enough to try to say something (through the face hole in the table... speaking towards the floor... with my (face) cheeks squashed... ha ha).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:54 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I go to a different place for 'aromatherapy' massages too (it's a place that sells aromatherapy products, so they use one of their own blends rather than create a new one, which can be had for extra $ but I don't find necessary), as a treat once in a while. I keep coming back to one lady there who I just adore. I really feel like she gives off heaving vibes through her hands or something. She's just amazing. When I've had full body massages before I've usually felt self conscious about being overweight, but I never do with her, she just must have this warm personality or something, and the essential oils are uplifting, that always makes it all OK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:44 am 
WELFARIST!

choirqueer wrote:
Awesome answers to my questions...

Thanks for all your help and information CQ. I haven't gotten my massage yet, but I think I'll start with a Swedish massage when I do and go from there! <3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

bionic-chocolate wrote:
I'd love to ask a question of the massage therapists here though - what is the purpose of the elbow to the butt-cheek maneuver?? (I'm sure it's an elbow, with all their body weight into it). When I have longer table massages at Asian places they usually do it and I find it incredibly painful!

I've never had just the elbow pushed into my butt. But I've had them push their entire forearm into it. It dispurses the pressure and feels really good. I don't think I would like just the pointy part of the elbow in my buttcheecks either!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:34 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

bionic-chocolate wrote:
I'd love to ask a question of the massage therapists here though - what is the purpose of the elbow to the butt-cheek maneuver??

Yeah, there are some really painful things that some people find therapeutic! I honestly have no idea what benefit there could be from causing someone pain in that way, but my general rule for massage is if it doesn't feel good, it's not what you need! If I wanted to give people health treatments that didn't feel good, I'd be a dentist or a proctologist!

Seriously, though...it's a mistake to think that just because a massage therapist does something to you it must mean that it's a good idea. You know your body way better than any MT does. If the language barrier is preventing you from being able to get what you need from your massage, it's totally appropriate for you to find an MT who speaks your language. It's not about being rude or disrespectful...your MT should be respecting you by not causing you unwanted pain, and if for whatever reason you're not able to communicate your needs to your MT in a way that results in your getting the massage that meets your needs, it really is a good idea for you to find an MT you can communicate effectively with!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I love massage, but I don't love at the end when a lot of therapists like to shake your body side to side. It really makes me feel like a beached whale when they do that. I always mean to ask them not to do that before the massage starts, but I forget and they always do it at the end, so I feel if I ask them then I'm totally not relaxed anymore.