| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Montreal Musts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

My flight is booked for the end of January, so now you get to tell me what I must do/see/eat. I will freeze my asparagus off, so I want it to be worth it.

Post subject: Re: Montreal Musts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Chuchai http://chuchai.com/
The most amazing asian vegan food ever! I would reccomend the Crispy duck on spinach, Chili Basil Duck, Black mushroom noodles, Peanut butter dumplings and the skewers.... Actually, most of it is amazing!

Aux Vivres http://www.auxvivres.com/en/home/
Vegan sandwich shop and smoothies. Has great desserts too. On the weekends you can get brunch and their Fried Polenta is amazing!

Yuan 2115 Saint-Denis
Asian resto with mock meats. Really good! They also have a mini shop where you can buy products

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

More places here: http://www.montreal.com/tourism/veggie/index.html

The only one I wouldn't recommended is La Faim du Monde. Personally I though the food was very bland. Out of four people, only 1 person liked their dish.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:58 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

merci! I can't wait to finally try that Aux Vivres coconut bacon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

You should try the BLT in the chabatta. They wrap it instead of putting it in a sandwich and it soooo much better. That's the one with the famous coco bacon. :)
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

reesepryde wrote:
You should try the BLT in the chabatta. They wrap it instead of putting it in a sandwich and it soooo much better. That's the one with the famous coco bacon. :)
Enjoy!

Actually, it's the BLT in chapati. I recommend getting a side of dragon sauce and drizzling a bit on before each bite. Or, just go full on for the dragon bowl with grilled tofu. It's hands down the best dragon bowl I've tasted. Brunch is served at Vivres on weekends from 11am to 4pm. As my posted reviews go, do NOT get the waffle plate unless you want to die from sweety-overload doom.

Don't bother with Faim du Monde unless you're out of choices. Do go to Le Cagibi as they're local and vegan-friendly (also, they possess a liquor license)

To see? Check out the local weekly free paper Montreal Mirror to see what's happening. See what exhibits are on at the museums, my fav is the contemporary art one downtown with free entry on Wednesdays (5-9pm).

The core of Montreal is definitely best seen by foot. Dress up warm and take a walk on Mont-Royal from the Plateau side (Parc Avenue), the path ways have signage and are open in the winter too.
Take a walk up Saint-Laurent boulevard from Saint-Laurent metro (stop at Cagibi, actually, it should take a good 30 minutes of straight walking, then head back to your hotel -- you can step into shops along the way to warm up). This will give you a sense of "the main" and what the Plateau is like. You can even walk up or down Saint-Denis street that runs parallel to Saint-Laurent but I find it's not as nice. Walk down Mont-Royal avenue and feel the (more) French side of the Plateau.

I'll say it again: dress warm! The wind blows down from the mountain and the water that surrounds the island of Montreal makes the cold nippy. (Oh, you could go to Old Montreal/Old Port if you want to get touristy. But I figure it's kinda dead in winter)

Tweet me @meansoybean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

La Faim Du Monde, as I find it, has really wonderful food and successfully accommodates my dietary restrictions (I'm celiac) unlike no other. Go there if you want a really amazing tofu burger or a beautiful salad. They are a fusion restaurant influenced by Asian, Mexican, and Indian cuisine. They're also the only vegan-friendly restaurant in the city that offers a great selection of alcoholic beverages (most specifically all the great Montreal beers - part of the experience).

Make sure to hit up La Panthere Vert (The Green Panther) and Crudessence for some wonderful 100% vegan food. La Panthere Vert is very decently priced and has some pretty damn good falafel if I
remember correctly. Crudessence is a raw food restaurant, but their lasagna and pizza are to die for.

Depending on how long you're staying and how much travelling around you plan on doing it may be best to get a tourist pass with the STM for transportation. Check out http://www.stm.info for information.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Restaurant Yuan végétarien
400 Sherbrooke E, Montréal, QC H2L 1J6
(514) 848-0513 ‎
We eat here when we visited this summer. They have an all you can eat option (which I believe is $18 for dinner, cheaper for lunch... can't quite remember) which is awesome if you are a Vegan bottomless bit like my boyfriend! LOL, he was very happy that he could totally pig out. The staff are super friendly, too. When they found out it was our first time there, they brought us a nice pot of tea on the house.

Aux Vivres is great, hands down. we had both dinner and breakfast there. Also, I really love a good cup of coffee and they do an awesome job with their coffee, they make their own coffee cream (its a blend of soy and coconut milk) and I who love someone to steal their recipe for me...wink!

Chu Chai is so delicious but the portions are very small. I was good, but the boyfriend was still hungry after. But I would still go back there next time I'm in town, just not go on a day when I'm really hungry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

mm, green panther is yummy. and aux vivres. crudessence was pretty crappy last time we went, but maybe other people have had better experiences.

what are you planning to do while you're here? you should go skating! and la fete des neiges in on in jean drapeau park too!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:59 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

So much to do! Have you checked out tripadvisor? http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... uebec.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm going in late March, so this is all good info.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:26 am 

Yes Le Cagibi is right near La Panthere Verte, which I have yet to visit. I hear their "golden balls" (falafel) are amazing.

Yuan... yeah it's all right, but where else are you going to find vegan chinese in Montreal, right? I highly recommend the chow mein as I find it's their best dish.

Crudessence is good for the juices/smoothies. The Saint-Graal (granola, fruit, yougurt parfait) is amazing. If you value raw food you'll probably enjoy the daily meal(s) there.

Another place I've never been to, but is smack dab in the middle of downtown is Ô bol. Surprisingly vegan.

Oh, and I totally forgot the 2 Le Commensal locations! Vegetarian/vegan buffet by weight, but by the looks of their site they're offering fixed pricing or some such now. The McGill College location is downtown, the St. Denis location is a bit more east in the Latin Quarter.

Tweet me @meansoybean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:53 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Glad to see this info! My inlaws live in Mtl. and we plan to go visit again. Last time I went about five years ago I wasn't vegan so this thread is very helpful!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

spirite lounge! i`m surprised no one has mentioned it.

there is one man that does all the cooking, serving, etc. the decor is wild, the food he cooks is amazing, and even if it wasn`t, the experience alone makes it worthwhile. (but, the food is delicious). there is a real focus on not wasting food - if you can`t finish your portion, you pay $2 which goes to charity, which the spirite lounge matches. you do have the option of choosing a small portion to begin with.

here are some reviews that give some more details: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/spirite-lounge-montreal

it was the most memorable meal i ate in montreal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Everyone's pretty much covered the vegany deliciousness side of Montreal. However, I suggest spending a Saturday night at Foufounes Electriques for entertainment. Good music (rock, indie, hardcore, punk, metal, rockabilly, ska), $1 bottles of beer (I suggest paying the extra $0.25 to try out a bottle of our organic local beer, Boreale. Dee-lish). Plus, you'll probably see me rocking out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:50 am 

vijita wrote:

Coconut bacon?!? Hmmm. Just how cold is it in Montreal in October and November? Maybe I can convince my mister to go to Montreal instead of Vegas this fall.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:01 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Epicurvegan wrote:
vijita wrote:

Coconut bacon?!? Hmmm. Just how cold is it in Montreal in October and November? Maybe I can convince my mister to go to Montreal instead of Vegas this fall.

It was actually really nice this year! It only started getting cold the beginning of December

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm 

reesepryde wrote:
Epicurvegan wrote:
vijita wrote:

It was actually really nice this year! It only started getting cold the beginning of December

Great! Montreal is looking way nicer than Vegas :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 am 
Tofu Pup

You must must must go to Green Panther (Panthere Verte). In my opinion, the best falafels in Montreal!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I just tried Bonny's on Notre Dame and they were fantastic!
Their site is www.bonnys.ca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Off topic: Reesepryde, you look like my bartender.

If you go around the Verdun area of Montreal, there's this teeny tiny cosmetics shop that's well hidden right off Wellington Ave. called Artisanart or something like that. I'll look check the name when I walk by tomorrow to double check, but the place is heaven. It's similar to LUSH but smaller, and the woman who owns it is incredibly accommodating. You want a spicy smelling body soap and lotion set that's vegan? She'll make it for you. Vegan lip balm? No problem. Seriously. Heaven.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:16 am 
So Totally Yiffy

aleshiaramone wrote:
Off topic: Reesepryde, you look like my bartender.

If you go around the Verdun area of Montreal, there's this teeny tiny cosmetics shop that's well hidden right off Wellington Ave. called Artisanart or something like that. I'll look check the name when I walk by tomorrow to double check, but the place is heaven. It's similar to LUSH but smaller, and the woman who owns it is incredibly accommodating. You want a spicy smelling body soap and lotion set that's vegan? She'll make it for you. Vegan lip balm? No problem. Seriously. Heaven.

Hahaha thanks, I guess!
Where do you bartend?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

reesepryde wrote:
Hahaha thanks, I guess!
Where do you bartend?

My bartender is a cutie, so it's a compliment. I don't bartend, but he's the one I go to (since I only go to one bar). His name is Vanier and he works the upstairs bar at Foufounes Electriques.

And to contribute something to the thread: On Wellington Ave. in Verdun there is a place called Branche D'Olivier, and they sell vegan freaking ribs. You heard me. Boneless style vegan hot sauce-y ribs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

chimrichalds wrote:
spirite lounge! i`m surprised no one has mentioned it.

there is one man that does all the cooking, serving, etc. the decor is wild, the food he cooks is amazing, and even if it wasn`t, the experience alone makes it worthwhile. (but, the food is delicious). there is a real focus on not wasting food - if you can`t finish your portion, you pay $2 which goes to charity, which the spirite lounge matches. you do have the option of choosing a small portion to begin with.

here are some reviews that give some more details: http://www.yelp.ca/biz/spirite-lounge-montreal

it was the most memorable meal i ate in montreal.

The Spirite Lounge is now closed. La Faim Du Monde also closed this week due to poor management.

I'm really sad about The Spirite Lounge closing last year actually. It was my favourite restaurant in all of Montreal up until that point. Unfortunately the owner seemed to have gotten sick. The story behind the place was so awesome too. I'm going to miss the atmosphere in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:26 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

La faim du monde closed?
Honestly, it was some of the worst food EVER!
I know others have had some great experiences there but I went with my bf and parents and only 1/4 liked what we ordered.