| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UGH! Snow boots I got for Christmas aren't vegan!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My dad came to visit me the weekend before Christmas, and we went to the Merrell store to check out snow boots. I remember I'd seen some vegan friendly options on their web site, but I didn't take notes or anything. When I went to the store, the sales associate looked at me a bit strange when I was asking about the materials, but came back and told me the shoes I'd chosen (http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/20470W/0/Womens/Moab-Mid-GORE-TEX-XCR?dimensions=0) contained synthetic leather. Technically that's true, but they also contain real leather! I didn't find out until just now. We had a blizzard last week, so I've definitely worn them. I'm not sure what to do!!

I've written to Merrell, and I'm hoping they'll let me exchange them, but I don't have much hope. I'm kicking myself for being so stupid. I guess I'm just posting on here for someone to commiserate.

What would you do in this situation?

Post subject: Re: UGH! Snow boots I got for Christmas aren't vegan!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 am 
WRETCHED

If Merrell does exchange them, they'll get rid of them as they can't sell them. If it was me, I'd take it as a lesson learned and either use them or give them away to someone who would.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am 

linanil wrote:
If Merrell does exchange them, they'll get rid of them as they can't sell them. If it was me, I'd take it as a lesson learned and either use them or give them away to someone who would.

Yeah, I've been using my pregan stuff as an effort to curb consummtion and also to not waste, but this is one of the first things I've bought (albeit unknowingly) since becoming vegan.

I'm just so bummed out. They're really nice snowboots. There are amazing vegan friendly boots on the merrell site, but I really don't have the money for them. (Hence my father giving my snow boots for a present in the first place).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:51 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I would probably wear them, and know better next time! At least they're not going to waste.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

VeganMeredith wrote:
I would probably wear them, and know better next time! At least they're not going to waste.

This. Wear then and take it as lesson learned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:44 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I agree. Wear and learn. (I would be upset too, but don't beat yourself up about it. Mistakes happen.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:50 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, I would wear them. It sucks, but it was an honest mistake. It's not like you didn't ask at all.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:05 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

VeganMeredith wrote:

Yeah. Sorry to hear about that but we all make little mistakes and at least you are doing your best! They look mostly synthetic with a really small amount of leather. I know it's still not 'perfect' but don't beat yourself up about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

The same thing happened to me. I shopped for snow boots a few weeks ago and found a tag that said man made synthetic materials, so I thought I was golden. After I bought them I looked at them again and now I think that tag may just refer to the rubber. The box and the tag both say man made, but when I got a closer look at the boots, the "pleather" looks like real leather to me.

Whatever. I paid for them, so I'm wearing them. I think I'm too inept to be vegan, because I make mistakes all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Unlucky.
Personally I'd kick myself with them on, then sell them on FleaBay and buy some vegan ones.
Or if I was feeling particularly flush just give them to someone who really, really needed them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm 

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. Someone from Merrell wrote a nice email stating that I could exchange the boots. I'm going to ask what they do with exchanged items they can't sell, but are still in excellent condition. It seems like it would be great if shoe companies or stores donated things like this, but I'm pretty doubtful. I'm an optimistic person, but I'm not that naive.

If they confirm that the boots will be trashed, I'm going to try to decide between giving them away, selling them, or donating. If I sold them I would be able to put the money toward a vegan pair (as horselesspaul suggested; don't worry, I'm emotionally kicking myself in the butt). Or I'll just wear them. You can't see any leather at all on the shoes...

GAH!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:16 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Awh, that moment really is a bummer. Don't kick or blame yourself, you are not stupid, twas just a mistake! If you're really worried and consciousness about the leather is seriously bothering you, sell them to someone who'll love them. But if it were me, if the boots were useful to me, good quality, and could get a lot of good Canadian winter wears out of them, I'd just keep them and watch carefully for ingredients next time. At least you'll be using them well =)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:32 pm 
Chip Strong

I would keep them and wear them and try again next time. You tried! Or give them to a friend who is my shoe size or donate them and buy another pair, if you can afford this option.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm 

UPDATE: In case you were interested, as it turns out Merrell donates "lightly worn" shoes to Soles4Souls. Since my boots are like new, I'm going to exchange them for a vegan pair so I can get a pair of snowboots and someone else will get a pair, too! I'm also going to talk up Merrell because besides letting me return the boots that I found out weren't vegan, they donate their shoes, and they have well marked vegan shoe options (if I would have just written down the style name/number before going to the store!!).

More info about http://www.soles4souls.org/.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's such a good outcome! Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:12 am 
So Totally Yiffy

That's excellent. Nice one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

That's great!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Wow, what a great outcome! I'm in need of some good winter boots so I'll go check their website first.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

fantastic, a win-win situation!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:17 am 
ugh

That's looks like a great organization! I'm going to try to convince the new vegan shoe store here to become a "participating location" (collection spot) for Soles4Shoes.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:38 am 

b.vicious wrote:
That's looks like a great organization! I'm going to try to convince the new vegan shoe store here to become a "participating location" (collection spot) for Soles4Shoes.

Do you mean Sudo Shoes, b.vicious? Just curious, ;)

Yeah, I think that would be a great opportunity for any shoe store that accepts exchanges on worn merchandise (not that many do).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:26 pm 
ugh

ndpittman wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Yeah, I think that would be a great opportunity for any shoe store that accepts exchanges on worn merchandise (not that many do).

Ha, yes! I didn't realize you're in Boston. Anyway, I posted about it on their Facebook page, hopefully something comes of it.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:54 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

That's great! I have Merrell boots that are a few years old and they are amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:12 pm 
Semen Strong

That is a great outcome! Nice work and hurrah for perseverance!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:00 pm 

b.vicious wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
b.vicious wrote:

Ha, yes! I didn't realize you're in Boston. Anyway, I posted about it on their Facebook page, hopefully something comes of it.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on another vegan shoe store! I can't wait for spring to get more cute shoes there!

I'm so thankful for the way everything worked out. The online customer service people at Merrell were AWESOME. I'm going to the store tomorrow, and I hope they live up to the awesomeness of the online customer service people I dealt with.