| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:40 pm 
Offline
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:10 am
Posts: 801
Location: Boston, MA
FootFace wrote:
I think the comment about the girl/baby Hitler was meant to be scathing satire.


Unfortunately, even if it is satire, I doubt the majority of the people who are reading and commenting are able to understand this.

I used to read Free Republic during the lead up to the war and was absolutely terrifying to realize the mentality of many people.

_________________
Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day
http://www.melomeals.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 pm
Posts: 4051
Location: Malvern, PA
I appreciated that post, Fascist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 am 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3002
Location: Soy City
ShawnieT wrote:
brian wrote:
I assume everything tweeted or facebooked by any Palin or other politico is written by a ghost writer, and I'd treat this no differently. There's a reason why people like them have "handlers"; their image is carefully controlled and manipulated.


But Palin's "handlers" have shown they are not particularly great at their jobs. She has always had a tendency to "go rogue," or otherwise go off-message on television, in print and online. If her people were actually decent at handling her image, half of America wouldn't be sitting around talking about how she's a ignorant, evil, though admittedly folksy moron who would be catastrophically dangerous for this country. But we are. Because she is.

I disagree; I think they're doing an amazing job of ensuring she remains in the public eye. Think about it. She had a failed VP run. She quit her role as Governor of Alaska. She landed a job a correspondent for Fox News and a full season of a show solely about her "life" in Alaska. News outlets are even speculating that she will run for President in 2012. Have you heard nearly half as much out of John McCain since his campaign ended?

She's not going off-message at all. Her handlers are purposely painting her in a light that will appeal to one subset of people while disgusting another subset so that they will constantly talk about her. People in the middle or people who don't care still cannot escape her because she's constantly on the TV, or in the mainstream news outlets, or in workplace discussions. We can't get rid of her, despite her lack of relevance, because no one will stop talking about her.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 am
Posts: 236
brian wrote:
I assume everything tweeted or facebooked by any Palin or other politico is written by a ghost writer, and I'd treat this no differently. There's a reason why people like them have "handlers"; their image is carefully controlled and manipulated.


I like to think Putin writes his own tweets.

_________________
I learned how to do pivot tables on excel, and masturbated furiously. - katiecarlos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 am 
Offline
A Bad Person
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:24 pm
Posts: 3002
Location: Soy City
¡gato! wrote:
brian wrote:
I assume everything tweeted or facebooked by any Palin or other politico is written by a ghost writer, and I'd treat this no differently. There's a reason why people like them have "handlers"; their image is carefully controlled and manipulated.


I like to think Putin writes his own tweets.

Without knowing which Putin account you're referring to (and assuming this isn't a joke), I doubt any of them are actually Vladimir Putin, or even someone representing him since none of the accounts are verified.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 am
Posts: 236
brian wrote:
¡gato! wrote:
brian wrote:
I assume everything tweeted or facebooked by any Palin or other politico is written by a ghost writer, and I'd treat this no differently. There's a reason why people like them have "handlers"; their image is carefully controlled and manipulated.


I like to think Putin writes his own tweets.

Without knowing which Putin account you're referring to (and assuming this isn't a joke), I doubt any of them are actually Vladimir Putin, or even someone representing him since none of the accounts are verified.


The one I write is the real one.

_________________
I learned how to do pivot tables on excel, and masturbated furiously. - katiecarlos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 am 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm
Posts: 460
I've been surprised by the percentage of my friends and performers who I admire who have come out against criticizing Palin for having a role in the shooting. Their position is that even if Palin is a horrible person and bad politician, it doesn't mean her crosshairs map is responsible for Loughner's actions. While I agree it's possible that the crosshairs map didn't come into mind for Loughner at all, it doesn't get Palin off the hook for what was an inappropriate action. Whether the shooting had happened or not, the crosshairs map would still have been wrong, and it seems like Palin's team knows it since they're taking it off the web and pretending it was a surveyor symbol and not a target.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 am 
Offline
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 10219
Location: Illinoize
BFH wrote:
Whether the shooting had happened or not, the crosshairs map would still have been wrong, and it seems like Palin's team knows it since they're taking it off the web and pretending it was a surveyor symbol and not a target.


This is how I feel. I don't think it's her fault, however, her reaction is shitty. She could've just said that while she believes that the shooter is responsible for his own actions, she now realizes that her target campaign was probably in bad taste and she'll try to be more sensitive in the future.

But then she would be ignoring the time honored tradition that politicians have of back pedaling like mad.

_________________
"The Tree is His Penis"

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:00 pm 
Online
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9479
Location: Seattle
Sarah Palin didn't kill anyone. But the nonstop drumbeat of gun imagery and paranoia (from her, Beck, Sharon Angle, etc. etc.) sure isn't helping anything.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm
Posts: 460
Palin is accusing the media of "blood libel." THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT MEANS!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:06 pm 
Online
Grandfathered In
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9479
Location: Seattle
It's all about Sarah Palin. What she's suffering now is pretty much the same as what the Jews have suffered since the 12th century. Basically?

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 6999
Location: bindlestiff
That quote from her just hurts my head. What in the hell? Does she have any idea what that means? Who wrote that for her?

_________________
Ovoids=not vegan --invictus

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:49 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Oaktizzle
Poor Sarah Palin. Honestly, I think the mainstreaming of conspiracy theories ala Glenn Beck, the Tea Party, etc. is more dangerous to the national discourse than Palin's target map, but her perpetual victimhood is really laughable.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm 
Offline
Ignore this!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:43 am
Posts: 366
FootFace wrote:
Sarah Palin didn't kill anyone. But the nonstop drumbeat of gun imagery and paranoia (from her, Beck, Sharon Angle, etc. etc.) sure isn't helping anything.

This. And, Palin is despicable.

_________________
"oooohhh, Jesus is a lil weiner" -lubimiller
"I don't want to wake up pregnant by tempeh!" -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1137
Location: Arizona
BFH wrote:
Palin is accusing the media of "blood libel." THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT MEANS!


Total fail.

_________________
Empathy, he once had decided, must be limited to herbivores or anyhow omnivores who could depart from a meat diet.
--Philip K. Dick


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:54 pm 
Offline
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
Regardless of her role in any of this, that's the creepiest most insincere video I've seen in forever. Who talks like that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm
Posts: 1066
Thessaly wrote:
Regardless of her role in any of this, that's the creepiest most insincere video I've seen in forever. Who talks like that?


I'm keeping myself from watching it. Way too much victim complex.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm 
Offline
Venomous Head of Veganism
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 8586
You tell em! TELL EM!!!

_________________
"You guys are a little bit fast to identify as not-mumbles. " ~ mumbles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critiques of her violent rheto
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm 
Offline
Ignore this!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:43 am
Posts: 366
janejellyroll wrote:
BFH wrote:
Palin is accusing the media of "blood libel." THAT'S NOT WHAT THAT MEANS!


Total fail.


Wow, that woman keeps peeling away layers of ignorance to reveal even more appalling layers of ignorance! What a scary, shameless individual. Instead of retracting and apologizing, I bet she tries to claim an alternate definition of blood libel.

_________________
"oooohhh, Jesus is a lil weiner" -lubimiller
"I don't want to wake up pregnant by tempeh!" -amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7307
Location: Portland
Uh, guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libe ... al_term%29

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:07 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2134
Location: 510
jordanpattern wrote:


Serious lawlz.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:12 pm 
Offline
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 7307
Location: Portland
mel c wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:


Serious lawlz.


You're just trying to cover your shame at not having been aware of this new, cutting-edge definition.

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
Don't you know that vegan meat is the gateway drug to chicken addiction? Because GMO and trans-fats. - kaerlighed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Austin
mel c wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:


Serious lawlz.

I like how in the talk section people explain that Palin didn't mean to imply that Democrats were planning to kill Jews. Because that's the usual definition of blood libel.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:17 pm 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 2134
Location: 510
mollyjade wrote:
I like how in the talk section people explain that Palin didn't mean to imply that Democrats were planning to kill Jews. Because that's the usual definition of blood libel.


"so as not to impugn Sarah Palin's reputation as she is a Living Person"

What?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sarah Palin's response to critcism of her violent rhetor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 pm 
Offline
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Austin
mel c wrote:
"so as not to impugn Sarah Palin's reputation as she is a Living Person"

What?

Wikipedia has strong rules about writing anything negative that can't be strictly verified on a living person's biographical entry. But there are lots of records of her using the phrase this way, so that doesn't really apply.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer