| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Joy of Vegan Baking
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Chocolate Cake with Chocolate frosting and it was the best choc cake I have ever made. All though I have only made about 6 chocolate cakes in my life. This was so moist...just perfect. I guess I shouldn't say chocolate thought, since I used Carob powder. I know some folks don't dig Carob, but I do..so there. My partner absolutely loved it...I didn't tell him it was carob until after all the compliments.

I have also made the blueberry cake and the carrot and both were great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

yoga girl wrote:
I don't know what it is, but I have had so many problems with nearly every recipe I have tried from this book, that I have thought about giving it to Good Will just to avoid the temptation of making anything out of there again.

Please don't do that! Send it to me instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I made the irish soda bread yesterday and the kid and I really liked it. Okay, she LOVED it.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:21 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've made the pumpkin pie many times, and only once it didn't set up properly. I use extra firm tofu instead of firm and add a little extra starch. Sets everytime now.

I also don't like how many recipes rely on ener-G. I think what I don't like is that I have to get my blender dirty to whip up a tiny bit of liquid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:34 am 
Huffs Nooch

I made a good few things from here but what sticks out in my mind is the scones with the raisins and nuts they were the some of the best I ever had.
Yes I had problems a bread recipe....it worked but it did not taste good at all and it went hard and stale overnight but overall would still give this book 5 stars because everything else I tried worked well/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Has anybody tried the peanut butter chocolate cupcakes? I love this book but I haven't' tried these yet. I need a birthday recipe today!

My favorites from this book are the corn bread, banana chocolate chip muffins, and the pancakes. I even made the pumpkin pie, and I hate pumpkin pie. It was alright to me, and another vegan loved it. Omni boyfriend and his mother didn't like it. I used a different crust.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

cstadt wrote:
Has anybody tried the peanut butter chocolate cupcakes? I love this book but I haven't' tried these yet. I need a birthday recipe today!

I made them a while back, and they were good, but we could easily taste the banana. We didn't mind, but some people might. I did have problems with the texture of the frosting, but that usually happens, since my kitchen is really warm year-round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 pm 
Naked Under Apron

appifanie wrote:
I made the irish soda bread yesterday and the kid and I really liked it. Okay, she LOVED it.

Hooray, I was just coming in here to see if anyone had made this! I want it to go with my AFR Irish Stew leftovers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I've made the chocolate chip cookies, the PB cookies, the Irish soda bread, the cornbread, the apfelkuchen, the almond-date smoothie, the basic waffles, the apfelstrudel, and the lemon cheesecake and they were all great, especially the cheesecake. OMG. So good.

The cranberry orange bread and the carrot cake were tasty but I've had issues with both and had to adjust some ingredients.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

I still haven't baked anything else. Haha! I've had a hard time getting motivated these past few weeks... My blog has also suffered because of this. :-p

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:31 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

appifanie wrote:

I'm starting to think mine turned into a rock because of human error, or maybe oven error. Glad to hear that this recipe is working out for other people!

I would also like to note here that the brownie recipe, although supposedly not cakey, struck me as basically a cake. At least that's how it turned out for me. Guess I should've expected that when I saw it had applesauce in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:34 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Amy wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Hooray, I was just coming in here to see if anyone had made this! I want it to go with my AFR Irish Stew leftovers.

we really liked it! every time the kid ate a slice she told me it was the best bread ever.

SandyBadlands wrote:
appifanie wrote:

I'm starting to think mine turned into a rock because of human error, or maybe oven error. Glad to hear that this recipe is working out for other people!

Yeah even on day 3 it wasn't a rock - hurray! i will say mine was still super sticky and didn't really look like pretty bread. oh, i have pics!

it looks a little underdone in the pic but it wasn't - i just can't ever wait til bread cools to cut it - who can?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:06 am 
Naked Under Apron

I made the soda bread yesterday, and I did like it, but I could really taste the soymilk (Silk plain). Next time I'd probably try unsweetened almond milk. And the dough was really sticky, so I had to add more flour. Also, I used a 10" pan, and wasn't really sure how to shape the dough or put it in there, so I made it fill the pan and it turned out kind of flat.

It was good (my dog went crazy for it, for some reason), but I can't remember now what non-vegan soda bread tasted like! This wasn't exactly what I was expecting- more moist (gross word) and dense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:49 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

The chocolate chip cookie recipe is very tasty and is probably the best choc. chip cookie recipe I've tried. But there is a lot of sugar in the recipe too, so that is something to consider. The peanut butter chocolate pie is really good too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:15 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The pretzels are pretty good. I've made them tons! However, the cornbread was a fail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:02 am 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Like everyone else, I really love the choc chip cookie recipe from this book, but haven't made it in a year or so because I don't keep egg replacer round much.

My attempt to make bread from one of the JVB recipes was a big suckfail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I tried to make the wholemeal loaf from here, and it was just a brick. But that could be me... I feel I am doomed when it comes to yeasted bread.

I've made lots of other stuff from here though that I have really likes. The chocolate peanut butter pie was sensational. I made the chocolate cheezecake, but it was a bit odd. I think it is because I did not use Toffuti brand cream cheese though, I used an Australian brand that is a bit of a different texture. I have really enjoyed making all the different sorts of muffins and scones, and I am pretty sure I made the lemon bars and they were great. Oh, and the chocolate cakes and the apple cakes. And the strawberry cupcakes are just too pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Pancakes. So good and fluffy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

QueenKateofSprouts wrote:
The pretzels are pretty good. I've made them tons! However, the cornbread was a fail.

What! It's my favorite cornbread recipe. I think I may even have it memorized

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Vantine wrote:
Her suggestion that you blend the Ener-G egg replacer in the blender is a really good idea.

I use an immersion blender and it works great (and is easier to clean than the regular blender).

I just made the strawberry cupcakes with buttercream frosting. The "cupcakes" were closer to muffins IMO (more dense, texture on outside and inside)--though I'm used to sweet muffins--and didn't taste very much like strawberries. The frosting was great though. I really love the vanilla cupcake recipe though.

I like the chocolate chip cookie recipe, but I use baking powder instead of baking soda because otherwise it is WAY too salty for me. I have also used white chocolate chips (from vegan sweets--Pangea) and macadamia nuts. By altering the recipe a bit, I've also made "better than fruitcake cookies" as well. Even people who hate fruitcake (or vegan stuff) have complimented them!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Lemon Bars. I really love these and so does my omni-hubby. I also love her drop biscuits too! This book is a go-to for me on a bunch.

My Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:48 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Those look so tasty! Ive made the apple strudel it comes out well. Although I like to shred the apples instead, its how my German grandmother used to make it. Also I add some bread crumbs to earth balance and spread that on the dough before adding the apples.

I agree a lot of her recipes seem to be hit or miss and I often make changes. I'm not sure she had such a great community of testers like around here.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I want to make the Rugelach but will have to omit the Sour Cream (cant find any). Will it work with the Cream Cheese only?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 am 
Nooch of Earl

jerusha wrote:
I want to make the Rugelach but will have to omit the Sour Cream (cant find any). Will it work with the Cream Cheese only?

I haven't made it like this (so take with a grain of salt!) but if you can get plain soy yogurt, I would take a sieve, put a coffee filter in it, and put the soygurt in that. (You'll need more than the quantity called for in the recipe, the point is to drain out the water). Let it sit over a bowl to catch the water for 12 hours or so, and then use the strained soygurt in place of sour cream. I can't guarantee that this will work for this particular recipe, but in general I have much better luck subbing soygurt for sour cream than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

sounds good - will try and report back after the weekend. Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next