| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 116  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 pm 
And you never will.

Thank you for all the support you guys!

We talked again, and mr poopie finally saw things from my point of view. So, we went out and bought some formula - this was it, the key to my rare, occasional freedom! My one chance at getting some me time. I was excited! Of course, you can probably guess the end of this story. poopiebaby will have nothing to do with it. We've tried everything I can think of, and everything the internet suggests, but I guess after 6 months of nothing but boob juice, he's not going to just take formula as a substitute.

Any suggestions? I will keep trying, but right now I feel awfully discouraged... and irritated that we shelled out $30 on organic soy formula that he refuses to drink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Can you try mixing a bottle with 3/4 breast milk and 1/4 formula? and then slowly increase the amount of formula to get him used to the taste?
You ladies are my lactation heros (heroins?).
I threw in the towel 10 days after Malcolm was born and I beat myself up over it for a year or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:53 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I had to exclusively pump for my first, when my milk ran out I did 25% formula, 75% formerly frozen breastmilk, then 50/50, etc so that would probably work. I had to take care of my niece for a little bit after she was born and she wouldn't take a bottle if her mom was anywhere around. I was nursing at the time and if I was leaking she was pissed if I tried to feed her formula.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm 
And you never will.

I will try again, but the last time I tried pumping I pumped for 20 minutes and got exactly two drops. If I could pump, I wouldn't even be trying formula at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:21 pm 

doh! didn't read that. maybe try when he's sleepy? my son has tons of health issues but he would only drink a bottle when he was about to fall asleep.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

shiitake, sorry, I didn't read that part.
Is poopiebaby eating any solids yet?
And holy crepe he's 6 months old already!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:17 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Poopie, was it powdered forumla? (I'm assuming yes because I couldn't find any organic ready-to-drink.) After Kai refused the powdered stuff we gave him gerber gentle soy ready-to-drink stuff and he seemed to love it. Even after the poor kid threw it up, we tried it one more time and he drank a little...but I didn't give it to him again because at that point I figured he's not able to digest the proteins. But it must taste pretty good if he would still drink it after it made him sick! (I also read online that many babies don't like the taste of powdered.)

As for me, I'm beyond frustrated. My big boob is making 1.5 oz, while my little one is only sputtering out barely 0.25 oz. He's eating more today so I know it won't be enough. But it would be if it wasn't for my little boob! Grrr. I ordered the book "Making More Milk" to see if there is anything else I could try, and called my lc again...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm 

also, what kind of bottle did you use? He just might not like that type of nipple.

At first, I used first years breastflow bottle, and he was ok with it but then after he got sick the 1st time refused it. I tried even with breastmilk and he didn't like it. Then I tried a playtex naturaLatch latex slow flow nipple instead of silicone, and he took the forumla out of that - so it seemed he really didn't like the other type of bottle. He's still using the playtex bottle now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm 

oh yeah bottles-not saying you could be as stupid as me but I didn't know at different ages they need different flowed nipples on their bottles. went much easier when he didn't have to work so hard to get milk out of the bottle!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm 

oh yeah bottles-not saying you could be as stupid as me but I didn't know at different ages they need different flowed nipples on their bottles. went much easier when he didn't have to work so hard to get milk out of the bottle!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

poopie, i have no advice on getting him to take the bottle of formula, but if in the morning, you tend to be 'milkie', if you haven't already, getting up before the babe and pumping can be helpful. it sucks, but that was the only way i got milk sometimes.
oh! and is it possible you need a more powerful pump? a friend of mine was using a playtex pump and not getting anything, she borrowed my medela and womp- milk

aubade- I wasnt online yesterday, but have been thinking of you. i hope the lc has wonderous advice and you have lots of support at work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jildez wrote:
oh! and is it possible you need a more powerful pump? a friend of mine was using a playtex pump and not getting anything, she borrowed my medela and womp- milk

I had an Avent Isis hand pump and it was total shiitake. It worked once before breaking, but I only got an ounce out after about an hour or so. And I got scabs from it! I did better at hand-expressing, but I bought a Medela Swing and it really did a good job getting milk out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:13 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

How do you guys feel about alcohol while you're breastfeeding? I'm not talking about getting drunk, I'm just wondering about the occasional glass of wine. I haven't felt comfortable doing that yet; Walter is still eating every 90 minutes at times. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer in baby books or online regarding safety.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 pm 

I allow myself a half serving of alcohol with dinner no more than 2 or 3 times per week and don't worry about when the next feeding is going to be.

I do the half serving of alcohol because I'm following the rule of thumb that if you can feel the alcohol's effects, the baby will probably feel the effects as well. Half a beer with dinner does not give me any buzz at all, so I'm assuming it's relatively safe.

I've only drunk more than that once, and I fed her pumped milk for the rest of the evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

helbury wrote:
I'm following the rule of thumb that if you can feel the alcohol's effects, the baby will probably feel the effects as well. Half a beer with dinner does not give me any buzz at all, so I'm assuming it's relatively safe.

This was the rule of thumb I abide as well. I would have a whole beer or cider, but I drink very slowly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm 

I hate breastfeeding with a fiery passion - I have an 'aggressive' latcher and my nipples are constantly chaffed / on fire!!! We are three freaking months in, you'd think it would get better... but I am hell bent on doing it till 6 months come hell or highwater. However, I *may* have been a little judge-y about people who refused to breast feed from the get-go before I actually went through it... now, holy crepe, I would never blame anyone for formula feeding from day one! This is not easy at all.

Good luck finding bottles / nipples / pumps / formulas that work for you and your babies, ladies. My LO hardly even takes breastmilk from a bottle.

Re: alcohol - you metabolize roughly 6 oz wine / 1 oz hard liquor per hour. It IS metabolized out of your milk as well, so if you're nursing (ha!) a small drink for a couple of hours or if you have a drink and then feed your baby in an hour, there's nothing to worry about. Make sure you're still drinking water as well, and you'll never have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:51 pm 

So the lc told me to take shatavari and goat's rue, because both are reputed to increase prolactin and breast tissue. The problem is, neither one of them have been studied/proven safe for breastfeeding, it is all anecdotal reports. That makes me nervous. Has anyone else used these herbs or heard anything about them?

She also suggested doperidone, but of course there's all the issues with obtaining it.

Finally, she said I should try breast compressions while pumping. I tried it a bit today, but not quite sure how it is supposed to work when I have big plastic flanges covering my boobs. There is a video online I gotta watch later.

I also called Ameda (my pump brand) to find out if I really do have to wash the parts every time. They said the issue isn't so much that the milk would go bad, it is that it can dry up on the parts and cause them to stop working well. So you really do need to at least rinse them in hot water each time. Maybe it is different with different types of pumps, but I guess for mine I have to rinse. I also read online you can stick them in the fridge without rinsing, which I imagine prevents it from drying and getting sticky, but the fridge here is on another floor and shared by the whole building so that's not a good option.

What I ended up doing is getting an extra set of parts. This way I can pump twice, wash them on my lunch hour, then pump 1 or 2 more times and bring them home to wash. That gets me washing only 1x per day at work instead of 4.

I also got this amazing hands free bra. http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Wishes-Han ... B00295MQLU It works like a charm! What a brilliant invention. I got a bunch of stuff done today while pumping. So I guess it is just a matter of getting into a groove with it. Its funny, wearing this thing and typing at the same time, I totally felt like Super Mom! haha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:29 am 

Here's the video in case it helps anyone else, I found it very helpful, and will try it today:

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeed ... ction.html

It shows women who double their output just by squeezing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
How do you guys feel about alcohol while you're breastfeeding? I'm not talking about getting drunk, I'm just wondering about the occasional glass of wine. I haven't felt comfortable doing that yet; Walter is still eating every 90 minutes at times. I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer in baby books or online regarding safety.

I kind of think that if you're not a drunkard, the occasional drink or two is fine. I guess my mom was pretty shocked when she saw me nursing and drinking a whisky ("she didn't even pump and dump!" she told my sister), but as I don't tend to drink enough to even get tipsy (although, honestly, I think if you were a bit tipsy and breastfed, everybody would be fine). I love brandy and whisky, but I don't even drink regularly -- I often think to myself, "self, let's have a brandy this evening," and then totally forget.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:49 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

by the time you are drunk enough to be harming your baby through your breastmilk, you are in no state to be responsibly caring for an infant anyway. that is the rule of thumb i follow, and since i have no interest (or opportunity) in partying that hard, i just drink the same amount that any mature adult would drink in a social or relaxing situation where they are not planning to get drunk. some days (while visiting family over christmas) that meant a couple of beers throughout the day, a glass of wine with a meal and maybe a liqueur with dessert. most days it means nothing at all or maybe a glass of wine or beer. if i really wanted to drink more, i might time it so i waited until she was nursed down for the night, and then do a bit of heavier drinking then, with the idea that most of the alcohol would be metabolized by 3 or 4 am when she wants to nurse again. but again, i would be more concerned with being responsible for caring for an infant in that state than my alcohol level in my breastmilk. i certainly wouldn't want to be too drunk to drive or safely hold her if she was in my care.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:52 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

littlebird wrote:
by the time you are drunk enough to be harming your baby through your breastmilk, you are in no state to be responsibly caring for an infant anyway. that is the rule of thumb i follow, and since i have no interest (or opportunity) in partying that hard, i just drink the same amount that any mature adult would drink in a social or relaxing situation where they are not planning to get drunk. some days (while visiting family over christmas) that meant a couple of beers throughout the day, a glass of wine with a meal and maybe a liqueur with dessert. most days it means nothing at all or maybe a glass of wine or beer. if i really wanted to drink more, i might time it so i waited until she was nursed down for the night, and then do a bit of heavier drinking then, with the idea that most of the alcohol would be metabolized by 3 or 4 am when she wants to nurse again. but again, i would be more concerned with being responsible for caring for an infant in that state than my alcohol level in my breastmilk. i certainly wouldn't want to be too drunk to drive or safely hold her if she was in my care.

Well said!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:50 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

My SIL was actually advised by the pediatrician to drink a half-glass of wine while breastfeeding in the evenings--I think so that she(and therefore the baby) would feel more relaxed and in a "heading toward bedtime" state of mind.
I get drunk SUPER easily, and after giving birth it was worse--a few ounces of hard lemonade would give me a buzz. So I did accidentally get tipsy a few times in the past six months, but never when my husband couldn't take care of Willow, and I think as long as you can stop at a serving or two, you're fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

If you have a cold and can't take anything I'd suggest lots-o saline gargling and neti-pot action and some Vics-vapo rub slathered under the nose. I'd say take loads of garlic and vitamin C but maybe that wouldn't make breast milk taste so good so I don't know about that.

BUT....since we're sharing breast feedin' stuff I will say this. I breast fed both my children and I hated it. I didn't know until I was about 1 month into breast feeding my 2nd that I had a breast deformity ( tuberous breasts ) that made breastfeeding a huge issue. One breast did not produce milk and the other produced a limited amount. I supplemented and drank the tea and fed on demand and did everything you're supposed to do and it did not get better. I did not know about this deformity until I did some research trying to figure out how to increase my supply.
I was very pro breastfeeding and did not consider any other option before I had children. When I did encounter problems the shame and the guilt that went along with having to supplement with formula was huge. I wish there was some way to encourage mothers to give it their all to 1st try breastfeeding, without the shame and guilt associated w/ not being successful. I would not give my kids a bottle in public because I did not want to be "that mother" that didn't breastfeed.
I felt horrible and guilty and isolated. If you're having trouble for whatever reason and you've tried everything you can think of, like others have said on this thread, you are no less of a mother for giving your baby a bottle of formula.
Caring for an infant is hard enough without feeling the judgement of others for your choices. Yay mommys!!! That's all I have to say about that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:14 am 

greenie wrote:
If you have a cold and can't take anything I'd suggest lots-o saline gargling and neti-pot action and some Vics-vapo rub slathered under the nose. I'd say take loads of garlic and vitamin C but maybe that wouldn't make breast milk taste so good so I don't know about that.

BUT....since we're sharing breast feedin' stuff I will say this. I breast fed both my children and I hated it. I didn't know until I was about 1 month into breast feeding my 2nd that I had a breast deformity ( tuberous breasts ) that made breastfeeding a huge issue. One breast did not produce milk and the other produced a limited amount. I supplemented and drank the tea and fed on demand and did everything you're supposed to do and it did not get better. I did not know about this deformity until I did some research trying to figure out how to increase my supply.
I was very pro breastfeeding and did not consider any other option before I had children. When I did encounter problems the shame and the guilt that went along with having to supplement with formula was huge. I wish there was some way to encourage mothers to give it their all to 1st try breastfeeding, without the shame and guilt associated w/ not being successful. I would not give my kids a bottle in public because I did not want to be "that mother" that didn't breastfeed.
I felt horrible and guilty and isolated. If you're having trouble for whatever reason and you've tried everything you can think of, like others have said on this thread, you are no less of a mother for giving your baby a bottle of formula.
Caring for an infant is hard enough without feeling the judgement of others for your choices. Yay mommys!!! That's all I have to say about that. :)

Greenie-
Bfing hasn't always been easy for me, but i blessedly haven't had the problems you and so man others have had. Thanks for reminding me yet again how hard it is not only emotionally, but physically for some people. I think its awesome that you didn't just give up completely when you had trouble, i think that says so much for your stamina and fierce love and determination. It sounds like what you went through might be similar to what Aubade is dealing with now. I am amazed at how common this is.

As for garlic and vitamin C making the breast milk taste bad- i eat garlic as often as possible, as well as cabbages, and any other strong tasting foods i feel like eating and i figure i am exposing my son to tastes. Now, we eats lots of things other babes don't touch and i think that the 'previews' may have helped. Oh, and i never knew him to turn down the boob, no matter what i had been eating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

greenie wrote:
When I did encounter problems the shame and the guilt that went along with having to supplement with formula was huge. I wish there was some way to encourage mothers to give it their all to 1st try breastfeeding, without the shame and guilt associated w/ not being successful. I would not give my kids a bottle in public because I did not want to be "that mother" that didn't breastfeed.

Wow, where do you live? I think I am the only breastfeeding mom for miles. I only ever see babies with bottles and I never saw anyone breastfeed a baby in public in this country (I saw a hot Latina breastfeed on the monorail at Disney World many years ago) before I did it (and I was terrified someone was going to glare at me when I nursed in public for the first few months -- before I got pregnant, I met one lady (I don't know her, she was just telling a story in a shop) who said she nursed in public and got slow-clapped out of a cafe). I'm a pro now and even nurse my toddler in public sometimes, but ~2.5 years ago, I was scared shiitake-less about it.

The health visitors are supportive about breastfeeding, although I get the feeling it is really a novelty for them, but a nurse was totally horrified when she heard I was breastfeeding in tandem and the pediatrician we were sent to even told me to stop, even though there were no health concerns, he just said it wasn't appropriate. Health professionals seem to just assume everybody formula feeds unless you say otherwise. Everyone always seems surprised that I do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2885 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 116  Next