| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

julie wrote:
I had the strings trimmed super super short-almost all the way off and no more pokey business.

I just wanted t say that the phrase "no more pokey business" made me really happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I had the Paragaurd inserted on Friday whilst on my period. I usually tolerate pain very well. I've had cavities filled without pain meds + I have had several piercings done with little pain. But for some reason, I was so scared about the IUD! I even called up several friends trying to get them to join me at the appt to hold my hand! No friends came with, but I went ahead with it, relying on 4 advil I took an hour before. My Dr was really great. She explained each step as she was doing it and kind coached me through the process + the cramping. All in all, the insertion wasn't bad! It wasn't so much painful as it was a feeling of "Woah, what the fizzle!?! I've never felt this before!" There was a sharp cramp during the insertion that lasted like 3 seconds and then a slow cramp that lasted like 10 seconds. There has been no additional cramping beyond the Dr.'s office. Bleeding hasn't been heavier by any stretch for me. In fact, perhaps lighter. My IUD story has so far been a good one! I am hoping next period is just as uneventful as this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Had my 1 month checkup on Friday. All is good! Second period with IUD just started yesterday. So far the cramps feel different but I wouldn't say worse. Overall I am so so so happy I did this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Had my check up on Fri. Nurse said that everything looks great, and she didn't have to do any adjusting. Should technically be starting my second period by now (already been 28 days). The first one was early, so perhaps this one is late? I just want to get on a schedule so that I know when my sexy time is going to get messed up! heh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:37 pm 

5 weeks since my last period makes me nervous. I don't like irregularity. This hormonal thing better figure itself out soon...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

simplybecause81 wrote:
5 weeks since my last period makes me nervous. I don't like irregularity. This hormonal thing better figure itself out soon...

You got the Mirena, right? I've had it for a while now. My memory is terrible, but I think it has been 6 months or so. I only had one period, about a day of spotting 6-7 weeks after insertion...and nothing since.

I know the Mirena is known to shorten or completely eliminate periods and it's probably slowing yours down! I wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Paragard will arrive at my gynecologist's office within 7-10 business days and I have an appointment to get in inserted on February 10th!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 pm 

graffitipassion wrote:
simplybecause81 wrote:

You got the Mirena, right? I've had it for a while now. My memory is terrible, but I think it has been 6 months or so. I only had one period, about a day of spotting 6-7 weeks after insertion...and nothing since.

I know the Mirena is known to shorten or completely eliminate periods and it's probably slowing yours down! I wouldn't worry about it.

Yep. Mirena. Good to know. I spotted slightly daily for the first 7 weeks after insertion (and also had what HAD to have been a period with horrible cramps and everything). I know that it can make my period disappear altogether, but I didn't think that it would this quickly. I'm just nervous because we usually double up and also use condoms (even when I was on the pill), but we've let ourselves be a bit more spontaneous lately because of the IUD and not always using one...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:43 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

pranaferox wrote:
Paragard will arrive at my gynecologist's office within 7-10 business days and I have an appointment to get in inserted on February 10th!!!

This is funny, I have an appointment to get my messed-up Mirena removed and replaced on the 10th too!

What time!? Mine is at 2:30 Pacific. Maybe we can send happy pain-free vibes into the universe to each other.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

graffitipassion wrote:
This is funny, I have an appointment to get my messed-up Mirena removed and replaced on the 10th too!

What time!? Mine is at 2:30 Pacific. Maybe we can send happy pain-free vibes into the universe to each other.

My appointment is 1:30PM EST :(. So we won't go through it together.. but close enough!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

pranaferox wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:

My appointment is 1:30PM EST :(. So we won't go through it together.. but close enough!!

Haha...so close!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 am 
Baking In The Flavor

It's my 2 year anniversary with my Paragard (insert party air horn blast here) and I've never once had a problem with it! Good luck to those getting one... mine hurt pretty bad going in, but it was worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:33 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I thought, after my horrendous insertion, I would never learn to love this bad boy but I do! I do I do I do! First couple of periods gave Niagara Falls a run for its money, but since then it's been a-ok.

I realised last week though that I'm going to be on my period for my wedding day, unless my cycle starts extending/shortening itself magically. Shark attacks and white dresses don't go so well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I feel so irresponsible. I think mine is expired, but I've been putting off a doctor's appointment for far too long. Okay, I blame my horrible insertion. But still, I need to go to the doctor already! A pregnancy would be so terrifying right now.

Any consoling removal stories? I think I'll be getting another the same trip, since we've pretty much decided not to have any kids, and my copper IUD is the best birth control method for me!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm pretty sure getting one removed is WAY easier than getting one inserted. Every story I've heard says it's just a pinch unless the strings have completely disappeared or something and they have to go rooting around for it. I wouldn't worry about it at all. My stupid IUD took 4 attempts to get put in so I figure pulling the stupid thing out will be a piece of cake compared to that.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:02 pm 
Chip Strong

i was terrified of getting mine removed because the insertion was SO painful for me, but it was unbelievably easy! don't fear it, vijita!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:19 pm 

Thanks, guys! My strings were cut really short and I've never been able to feel them, and the few times I had my IUD checked my doctor ordered an ultrasound, so I'm a bit nervous. But I'm sure it will be fine!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

vijita wrote:
Thanks, guys! My strings were cut really short and I've never been able to feel them, and the few times I had my IUD checked my doctor ordered an ultrasound, so I'm a bit nervous. But I'm sure it will be fine!

I'm curious to hear your experience. I can feel my strings, but my insertion was hell. I'm scheduled to get my Mirena out and a Paraguard in later this month. I figure the removal will be fine, but shoving another one up there is not something I'm looking forward to. This time, I'm taking my boyfriend with me so he can drive me home and make me dinner and stuff after if it is as bad as last time. I'm also a bit concerned about being on a hormone-free bc, but that is another issue. I've been on hormonal bc since I was 12 and am not sure what my body will do if left to it's own devices!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, I just had my Mirena removed and replaced in the same session. I'd only had the Mirena for 4 months, but the strings were poking the boyfriend too much and the doctor couldn't fix it.

The removal was no biggie. She had trouble finding them at first, and since they were super short, she had to use a special instrument to get it out. I felt a tug...a little bit of pain, and it was out.

The insertion of the new one was more painful than the removal, of course. The intensity of the pain was the same level...it just lasts longer than the removal. My butt was tensed and high in the air like the first time. It's so embarrassing the way my body reacts to that kind of pain! My knees just want to slam shut on doctor's head!

I didn't get to take any good drugs this time. Last time I popped a Vicodin afterwards and cruised through the rest of the day. This time, only advil, and it's cramping. Sorry to be so crass, but it feels like I have to use the bathroom SOOOOO bad and someone is in the toilet. And I just have to hold it, keep holding it. OW.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Ughhh, the day I got mine in was one of the worst/most painful days of my adult life (I only had Tylonel). I feel for you, graffiti!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm 

graffitipassion wrote:
Okay, I just had my Mirena removed and replaced in the same session. I'd only had the Mirena for 4 months, but the strings were poking the boyfriend too much and the doctor couldn't fix it.

The removal was no biggie. She had trouble finding them at first, and since they were super short, she had to use a special instrument to get it out. I felt a tug...a little bit of pain, and it was out.

The insertion of the new one was more painful than the removal, of course. The intensity of the pain was the same level...it just lasts longer than the removal. My butt was tensed and high in the air like the first time. It's so embarrassing the way my body reacts to that kind of pain! My knees just want to slam shut on doctor's head!

I didn't get to take any good drugs this time. Last time I popped a Vicodin afterwards and cruised through the rest of the day. This time, only advil, and it's cramping. Sorry to be so crass, but it feels like I have to use the bathroom SOOOOO bad and someone is in the toilet. And I just have to hold it, keep holding it. OW.

GOD I KNOW. After my insertion, which only really featured a sharp sharp pain when my doctor stabbed my uterus, I hopped in the car and began the rural 35 minute drive home. When I miraculously made it into town, I burst into my boyfriend's workplace like a crazy person and spent about an hour in their bathroom in utter agony. I came out crying and was in that state for days. My insertion and the following 48 hours were the worst cramps/bleeding/pain of my life times 100. I hate telling such a horror story because I know many walk in and out happily, but since I have a pretty high pain tolerance and have experience injuries and illness that would probably be considered a lot scarier, I feel the need to forewarn. I wasn't interested in sex for about a month.*

I dunno, when I get mine removed, I'm demanding heavy painkillers with no shame.

*all said and done though, I'm really glad I went with the copper IUD. Lots and lots of pain for a time is still > than weird unpredictable reactions to hormones, for me anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:41 pm 

fork! My Paragard didn't get to my gynecologist in time for my appointment and she's all booked up until March 3! This was supposed to be 1/3 of my boyfriend's Valentine's Day present (not really, but it would've been nice).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am 
Baking In The Flavor

pranaferox wrote:
fork! My Paragard didn't get to my gynecologist in time for my appointment and she's all booked up until March 3! This was supposed to be 1/3 of my boyfriend's Valentine's Day present (not really, but it would've been nice).

You're not supposed to have sex for a few days after getting Paragard inserted so it's probably good that you didn't get it right before V-day!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

radish wrote:
You're not supposed to have sex for a few days after getting Paragard inserted so it's probably good that you didn't get it right before V-day!

Not necessarily! Granted, I had an easy insertion, but I had sex the day after I got my Paragard!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

vegetalion wrote:
radish wrote:

Not necessarily! Granted, I had an easy insertion, but I had sex the day after I got my Paragard!

My doctor definitely told me not to even try for 3 days.

Just to update I've had mine since November & my periods are getting a little less heavy & although they're still way more painful I prefer this 100 times more than the hormone induced insanity of being on the pill!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 704 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next