| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beachbody Fitness (P90X, Insanity, etc.)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
someone in the women's thread is proud of herself because she - are you ready? - stopped eating orange cheese. really.

This makes me laugh because I did that once upon a time. I found out the artificial coloring was causing migraines.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:36 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

deearess wrote:
appifanie wrote:
someone in the women's thread is proud of herself because she - are you ready? - stopped eating orange cheese. really.

This makes me laugh because I did that once upon a time. I found out the artificial coloring was causing migraines.

well sure, artificial color in terms of migraines, but she's proud of herself for abandoning orange cheese for weight loss!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
deearess wrote:
appifanie wrote:

well sure, artificial color in terms of migraines, but she's proud of herself for abandoning orange cheese for weight loss!

Food coloring makes me put on weight. ha!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Most of the cheese here is yellow/cream coloured so when I think of orange cheese I think of Tofutti American slices or Cheezly Nacho cheeze not actual cheese!

I'm thinking of trying the lentil soup recipe from the P90X newsletter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Just signed up for beach body, so expect to see me over there too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:47 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kdsaj wrote:

Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Kitteh wrote:
kdsaj wrote:

Yay!

This way I can't lose motivation during the winter, right? Except, you're in a different hemisphere and the weather is becoming more and more amazing everyday while it continues to get more and more crepe-y here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 am 
Baking In The Flavor

P90X !!! "I hate it..... but I love it"
What kind of soup are you stirring in your Karen's Pot-stirrers today? I've got (vegan) alphabet soup!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm 

kdsaj - welcome and thanks!! :) let me know if you have any questions!

also, i've been migraine-y for 28 hours or so so not real attentive/useful, but I'm usually better.

Amandah wrote:
What kind of soup are you stirring in your Karen's Pot-stirrers today? I've got (vegan) alphabet soup!

gazpacho! it's always gazpacho!

eta: I'm in a chat with Steve Edwards now, and I asked him if for vegans it's more important to shoot for the ratios (i.e. phase 2 is 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat) via whatever means necessary (protein shakes/bars/etc) or to eat a varied whole foods diet and he said to eat a varied whole foods diet. So, rock on!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:02 pm 
Chip Strong

I actually decided not to do Insanity because it seemed way too cardio focused and I do more than enough cardio. If I find myself stuck inside a lot this winter that will probably change.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:06 pm 

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
I actually decided not to do Insanity because it seemed way too cardio focused and I do more than enough cardio. If I find myself stuck inside a lot this winter that will probably change.

Are you still doing all your running and biking? If so you could probably just do the weight portions of P90X?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm 
Chip Strong

appifanie wrote:
Imitation Of Chris wrote:

Are you still doing all your running and biking? If so you could probably just do the weight portions of P90X?

I'm biking every day to/from work, which is about 12 miles, and I actually make an effort for ten of those.
I started using my kettlebell again yesterday, so I think I'm going to try and stick with that for 4 days a week - it's just about getting past the boredom and repetition of the initial conditioning program.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

appifanie wrote:

also, i've been migraine-y for 28 hours or so so not real attentive/useful, but I'm usually better.

eta: I'm in a chat with Steve Edwards now, and I asked him if for vegans it's more important to shoot for the ratios (i.e. phase 2 is 40/40/20 carbs/protein/fat) via whatever means necessary (protein shakes/bars/etc) or to eat a varied whole foods diet and he said to eat a varied whole foods diet. So, rock on!

Suggestions for topics would be appreciated. I feel like a total gomer on forums. I was super worried that I'm not drinking enough protein shakes or something! I know I'm not protein deprived by any means, but the way Tony talks about protein bars, shakes, and that stupid recovery drink, I thought that I was slacking.

I think I missed the link to your blog about the vegan version of the recovery drink. Could you hook me up with it, please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Kitteh wrote:
Most of the cheese here is yellow/cream coloured so when I think of orange cheese I think of Tofutti American slices or Cheezly Nacho cheeze not actual cheese!

yeah, I've never had yellow/orange vegan cheeze but I certainly don't associate those colours with 'real' cheese either! Food shouldn't be fluorescent, people! : )

We've been kicking on with week five, reeaaally enjoyed/nearly died doing the back and biceps workout on Sunday! I think that's quite possibly the most sore my arms have ever been after a workout, love love love it!
I'm kinda sad that there's no more new workouts from now till the end though...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I think I must be the only one who has done Debbie Siebers' Slim Series (Beachbody) workouts. I don't want to punch her in the face (although this could be useful for the punching exercises), and that's what I enjoy about it. I have Tony's P90 Master Series, but I find him incredibly annoying. That being said, I'm interested in trying P90X one of these days, but I'm still faithful to ol' Debbie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

alice1drland wrote:
I think I must be the only one who has done Debbie Siebers' Slim Series (Beachbody) workouts. I don't want to punch her in the face (although this could be useful for the punching exercises), and that's what I enjoy about it. I have Tony's P90 Master Series, but I find him incredibly annoying. That being said, I'm interested in trying P90X one of these days, but I'm still faithful to ol' Debbie.

Oh, I want to punch Tony in the face everyday but Sunday (rest day). He's so freaking annoying!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Okay. My DVD's should be here Saturday. We'll see what all the fuss is about...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 pm 

kdsaj wrote:
alice1drland wrote:

Oh, I want to punch Tony in the face everyday but Sunday (rest day). He's so freaking annoying!

Yeah, his tone is almost... condescending? Unintentionally so, I'm sure. Or maybe it's because he's so desperate to make working out seem fun, like he's talking to a bunch of kids who are refusing to do their jumping jacks. Either way, it's not cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 pm 

kdsaj wrote:
appifanie wrote:

Suggestions for topics would be appreciated. I feel like a total gomer on forums. I was super worried that I'm not drinking enough protein shakes or something! I know I'm not protein deprived by any means, but the way Tony talks about protein bars, shakes, and that stupid recovery drink, I thought that I was slacking.

I think I missed the link to your blog about the vegan version of the recovery drink. Could you hook me up with it, please?

I think that's the Tony from 2004 who was trying to pimp out his stuff. A recovery drink is good for after workouts (I use 1 tbsp of rice protein in about 8oz of juice) but aside from that, don't worry about it. I don't think I ever got around to a detailed blog post about that - hmmm. Okay, here - just this "Also, the recovery shake used by non-vegan P90Xers is a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein (which I'm still working on - I get a little thrown given that phase 2 of the diet is supposed to be equal ratios of carbs:protein overall). "

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm 

OWW - My biceps are the most obvious change for me so far - I like them!

Alice - Really? I don't think he seems like that at all and I've never heard that from anyone!

eta: In the interest of full disclosure, in the BB chats he does through the site, I find him a bit annoying - he just sort of goes off on a tangent and expects no one to type or ask questions. Steve Edwards is way cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

appifanie wrote:
OWW - My biceps are the most obvious change for me so far - I like them!

Alice - Really? I don't think he seems like that at all and I've never heard that from anyone!

yeah, we were half-expecting to cringe at the cheeziness/arrogance/whatever of the tone on the dvds and we were totally pleasantly surprised! We think Tony's actually pretty funny, and certainly haven't found him condescending yet...

ha, I was used to doing some pretty decent bicep curls at the gym, but faaaaaar out that workout was intense!
I really don't think I'm changing shape/size/whatever in any way though, but I'm not trying to so that's fine.
That being said, we didn't do initial measurements but eventually decided they might be interesting to monitor so we did 30 day ones this weekend and will try to do 60 and 90.
Also, I was totally disturbed by how similar my husband's waist size is to mine... damn skinny waisted boy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kdsaj wrote:
Kitteh wrote:
kdsaj wrote:

Yay!

This way I can't lose motivation during the winter, right? Except, you're in a different hemisphere and the weather is becoming more and more amazing everyday while it continues to get more and more crepe-y here.

Yes, it's definitely easier to work out in spring/summer but we'll all be here to motivate each other!

Amandah wrote:

<3 I always say lentil!

appifanie wrote:

This is EXCELLENT! And what I've been trying/doing anyway.

Karma007 wrote:
Okay. My DVD's should be here Saturday. We'll see what all the fuss is about...

I hope you love it!
oncewerewesties wrote:
appifanie wrote:

yeah, we were half-expecting to cringe at the cheeziness/arrogance/whatever of the tone on the dvds and we were totally pleasantly surprised! We think Tony's actually pretty funny, and certainly haven't found him condescending yet...

Same here, I think he's funny and I don't find him annoying at all! My bf was home for the first time during one of my work outs yesterday and he and I were laughing at Tony screeching like a teradactyl during the arm circles. Back & biceps was an awesome work out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

Quote:

Yeah, that kind of stuff is what annoys me, though. The pterodactyl thing. I just want an explanation, demonstration, we'll do it together with no funny goofball stuff and we're done. And I'm not saying I want someone to be a dick and be mean to me as we work out "together," but I also don't want to feel like I'm in a Jazzercise class. Maybe he's different in P90 Master Series; I have no idea! Tony's tone to me comes across as, "Hurka durka durk durk awwww YAY-uh! Hurk durk? DORF."

I'm sleepy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

alice1drland wrote:
"Hurka durka durk durk awwww YAY-uh! Hurk durk? DORF."

This made me laugh for about 10 minutes. I needed that, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

appifanie wrote:
kdsaj wrote:
appifanie wrote:

I think that's the Tony from 2004 who was trying to pimp out his stuff. A recovery drink is good for after workouts (I use 1 tbsp of rice protein in about 8oz of juice) but aside from that, don't worry about it. I don't think I ever got around to a detailed blog post about that - hmmm. Okay, here - just this "Also, the recovery shake used by non-vegan P90Xers is a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein (which I'm still working on - I get a little thrown given that phase 2 of the diet is supposed to be equal ratios of carbs:protein overall). "

I'm using a hemp protein shake right now, which is probably similar to rice (right?). I wanted to stay away from the soy, and hemp was the first non-soy protein shake I saw at whole foods.

I'm in need of a really good (tasty and good nutrient profile) protein shake that is inexpensive. What brands do you recommend or not recommend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 82  Next