| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UK Gathering 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

jojo wrote:
http://www.herstonleisure.co.uk/accommodation.htm they're listed on the website that says they allow campfires, they're still near Monkey World & they have yurts and 8 person cabins with hot tubs!

What did people think of this place? Did anyone have any other options for us to check out? I've e-mailed them to ask for the May & August prices, I've only ever been camping in July / Aug & it didn't seem overly expensive. As for flights, when I've booked them this far in advance I haven't noticed a significant price difference between May & Jul / Aug bearing in mind we'll be doing this in the school holidays either way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like the look of those log cabins, but they're probably crazy expensive. But they sleep up to 8 people (and I bet they aren't counting floor space), so it might not be so bad. If it's reasonable, I'd totally be down with that.

ETA - I've just had a look at flights, and it seems you can't fly Edinburgh or Glasgow to Bournemouth or Exeter. But Edinburgh/Glasgow to London and then train to wherever else might be cheaper and faster than the train the whole way.

ETA2 - It looks like flying to London and taking the train to Wool (the nearest I could figure out) would run about £110 return total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Jojo, that place looks nice, I like that it's a 15 minute walk to the beach. I'm intrigued to know how much the different options are. And... MONKEYWORLD!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 am 

holylopez wrote:
Jojo, that place looks nice, I like that it's a 15 minute walk to the beach.

I liked that too, I got an e-mail with prices but they vary week to week so I'm just waiting to get the May 1/2 term dates from hana before I post them. There's a 3 night minimum stay everywhere except the campsite bit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

rachell37 wrote:
I like the look of those log cabins, but they're probably crazy expensive. But they sleep up to 8 people (and I bet they aren't counting floor space), so it might not be so bad. If it's reasonable, I'd totally be down with that.

ETA - I've just had a look at flights, and it seems you can't fly Edinburgh or Glasgow to Bournemouth or Exeter. But Edinburgh/Glasgow to London and then train to wherever else might be cheaper and faster than the train the whole way.

ETA2 - It looks like flying to London and taking the train to Wool (the nearest I could figure out) would run about £110 return total.

Good news! Flybe go to Exeter...
http://www.glasgowairport.com/portal/page/Glasgow^General^Flight+information^Flight+timetables^Scheduled+flight+timetable/
http://www.edinburghairport.com/portal/page/Edinburgh^General^Flight+information^Flight+timetables^Scheduled+flight+timetable/

Flybe also fly from Glasgow and Edinburgh to Southampton, and then there's a direct train from Southampton Airport Parkway to Wool (about an hour's train). This is the route I'd choose. The problem with flying to London is that even if you get a really good deal, you're effectively flying in the wrong direction, and pretty much adding the whole width of England to your journey once you've reached London.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 am 
Ninja Master

jojo wrote:
jojo wrote:
http://www.herstonleisure.co.uk/accommodation.htm they're listed on the website that says they allow campfires, they're still near Monkey World & they have yurts and 8 person cabins with hot tubs!

What did people think of this place? Did anyone have any other options for us to check out? I've e-mailed them to ask for the May & August prices, I've only ever been camping in July / Aug & it didn't seem overly expensive. As for flights, when I've booked them this far in advance I haven't noticed a significant price difference between May & Jul / Aug bearing in mind we'll be doing this in the school holidays either way.

I think this places looks good! and monkey world yay.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sorry for kind of disappearing guys, work has been mad this week. May half term is the 30th May to 6th June, so I'd be on holiday from the 28th of May. Summer holidays start 26th July. I am happy with wherever as long as it has flushing toilets and hot water, but the log cabins, yurts and park homes all look really nice at the place Jojo posted.

I feel really bad that people are feeling put off of coming because we're discussing places in the South West. If there's anywhere we could go that people have found further up country then I am sure we could look into those places. Also, if the expensive-ness of going anywhere in half term/summer hols is prohibitive for people, perhaps we could look into a weekend instead?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:12 pm 

Right, I spoke to the lovely people from Herston & I have some options! I'm looking at weekends because the prices are no different & I assume it'll be easier for people with mon-fri jobs to get time off at the weekend. I was thinking fri, sat, sun night?

If we want to go in May 1/2 term (w'end of the 1st of June) :

Camping in a tent with access to hot water & flushing loos £25pn for a mid sized tent (2-4ppl)

Yurt, they only have 1 6 person yurt left @ £80pn

Log Cabin with hot tub, they only have the fancy 3 bedroom 7 person (the website says 8 but it's wrong & you can't have pol on the floor!) £175pn (that's only £25pppn if we fill it)

If we want to go in summer (fri, sat, sun weekend between July 29th & Aug 26th)

Camping with access to hot water & flushing loos is £35pn for a 2-4 person tent

Yurts, lots of yurt availability at the moment £80pn for a 6 person yurt

Log Cabins, they have the cheaper 2 bedroom ones available, still with a hot tub, they still fit 7ppl & cost £150pn

What does everyone think? What's your ideal scenario? I'm well up for sleeping in a tent but if there are only 5 people wanting to stay in a cabin / yurt I'll be happy to go along with that to keep costs down but bear in mind no tent means no fire! Also when is the best time for everyone? The only time I totally can't make it is the last week of August but I would prefer July / early Aug to May.

As hana said if anyone is put off by it being in the South West please say so & suggest another option.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's a lot more reasonable than I expected it to be. If I can find a cheap way down there, I'm totally up for the log cabin if we can fill it.

I think I'm OK for all the school holidays, though I'd prefer late July / early August just because I'm on holiday at the end of June. Then again, if it's only a weekend, it looks less crazy than taking another week off. So, pretty much whenever for me. I'll look into travel again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm not really fussed about location, so if people want it to be more central that's fine too. Maybe we should start a poll or something?

Thanks, Jojo, for getting all that info! It looks like a pretty nice place with lots of options (though I can't believe it costs £25-35 a night to camp!). As for timing I too would prefer a weekend, personally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 am 

MessyVeggie wrote:

Thanks, Jojo, for getting all that info! It looks like a pretty nice place with lots of options (though I can't believe it costs £25-35 a night to camp!). As for timing I too would prefer a weekend, personally.

That's the camping price for a 4 man tent, it's cheaper for a smaller tent & if you're a backpacker it's even cheaper but again you need to have a small tent!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 am 
Ninja Master

I had a 2 man tent for sonisphere and it was tiny, i would prob bring a bigger one if I can borrow my friend's!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:28 am 

baps wrote:
I had a 2 man tent for sonisphere and it was tiny, i would prob bring a bigger one if I can borrow my friend's!

Yeah, I wouldn't have more than 2 people in my 4 man tent. 2 man tents are SO tiny!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:23 am 
So Totally Yiffy

The location seems good.
I thought the yurts looked nice until I saw the video which proclaims that they are bound with horse hair. Trying a little bit too hard to be authentic there in deepest Daarzit for me, sadly. Polypropylene anyone?
My work in the US has been moved to the Autumn (apparently they call it The Fall.. which always makes me start talking like Mark E. Smithaaaa) so any time is fine with me now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Traditional yurts are made out of wool (felt), so the horse hair doesn't surprise me, stupid as it is.

We should get a head count in order to work out how to do stuff, really? Did they say how much campsites were for backpacker tents, Jojo?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:48 pm 

MessyVeggie wrote:
Traditional yurts are made out of wool (felt), so the horse hair doesn't surprise me, stupid as it is.

We should get a head count in order to work out how to do stuff, really? Did they say how much campsites were for backpacker tents, Jojo?

For backpackers the price is £12pm but it has to be a small tent & you can't book / arrive by car.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:07 pm 

MessyVeggie wrote:
I'm not really fussed about location, so if people want it to be more central that's fine too. Maybe we should start a poll or something?

Yes, I don't think we need a poll but if people are unhappy with the location we've been discussing they need to say so & suggest somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:49 pm 
Mediocre Tart

jojo wrote:
MessyVeggie wrote:

Yes, I don't think we need a poll but if people are unhappy with the location we've been discussing they need to say so & suggest somewhere else.

Well, I would say so and suggest somewhere else (I found a super-awesome sounding Lighthouse on Skye!) but it seems to me that pretty much all of you who are interested already live in the south of England so there seems little point in suggesting anywhere else. A poll would just cement matters.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:13 am 
Huffs Nooch

That looks good. I can't say for sure yet what time I am able to get off work so don't want to say I am definitely coming, I definitely can't do May or June but if you guys decide on another month I will try to get some time off and come along. Also would be happy to do the cabin thing. Anyone know what's the closest airport to there?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

If we were to go the last week of July (for example), interrobang?! and I could both get flights for £8.22 each way with Flybe! Thanks for the heads up, Ruby Rose!