| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 am 
Tofu Pup

Hiya! I just happened upon a nice coffee shop that has vegan cookies, muffins and cupcakes. It's called Café Novo and it's at 1986 Bloor St. W., right across the street from High Park.
http://cafenovo.ca/

Lots more vegan stuff here!

Post subject: Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:21 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

That's great. Thanks for the recommendation.

I love that they make their OWN baked goods AND they are participating the in Indie coffee passport thing AND they don't charge extra for organic soy milk!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love Toronto!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:44 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Woohoo ! When I'm back in Toronto I'll have to check out Cafe Novo.

I've wanted to join dinner club for a while now but becoming vegan made it difficult. Anyone interested in a vegan dinner club? 5 or 6 members, you meet once a month at someone's place, each person brings a dish, you have dinner. Yum! Anyone up for it?

Edit: I'm in Victoria for three months for work. I'll be back in Toronto at the end of November. December's no month to start something social, since Christmas just takes over your calendar. So really it would start in January, if anyone else is interested!

My new online dating blog: http://oklavafish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I am very interested in being part of a dining club. (cuz damn I sure do love to eat.)
I'd also be into organizing or helping to organize.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'd love to be part of a dinner club! I can even volunteer my house to host it, if people don't mind going off the subway line

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

i'm totally interested in a dinner club!

while i've got a tiny place, i'm right at the dupont subway station. i'd host anytime!

very exciting.... and thanks for the cafe heads up! maybe i'll head there tomorrow for some studying... and treats...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just wanted to pop in and give Toronto a big hug. I moved to Vancouver from Toronto almost two years ago, and I miss it like crazy.

Please take good care of my city.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:50 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Yay! That's 4 for a vegan dinner club--this has potential. Woohoo!

Don't worry mishka--we'll take care of T.O. so Rob Ford can't mess it up too much. *sadface*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

DANDIES IN TORONTO!!! at panacea (bloor west of bathurst)

Essence of Life also now stocks Daiya, but sadly they are selling out in mere hours of their past 2 orders.. The owner told me he's going to be ordering more cases at one time :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:27 pm 

Oops! I forgot!!
(aka Nadia)

Vegan Bake Sale
Sunday October 31 2010
Please join us for another Vegan Bake Sale during Kensington Market's final Pedestrian Sunday of the year. The streets are closed to cars and are filled with street performances..
This one will be Autumn themed with pumpkin and apple pies, pumpkin cinnamon rolls/plain cinnamon rolls, cupcakes, cookies etc.
This is our final outdoor bake sale for 2010! We hope to find an indoor location soon.

We are still fundraising-to help us get this business off the ground as well as to develop a non-profit organization geared to helping families and their children learn healthy eating habits through hands-on workshops that include games/arts.

We are also still collecting non-perishable food items (dried beans, whole grain pastas, coconut milk, dried herbs and spices etc.) for the vegetarian food bank. The only one that exists in the GTA (2 locations now).

More info? http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/eve ... 7903599022

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:31 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm visiting Toronto soon and I'm really excited about going to Panacea!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:04 pm 

check out essence of life in kensington market too. cheaper prices. and there's a little store sugar &spice i think in the market too. they've got vegan jelly beans. yummm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:18 pm 

i'll be there for pedestrian sunday; yay bonus bake sale!
love kensington market, and urban herbivore (i stock up on those monster muffins).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:03 am 

oct 31 bake sale: We are in the midst of baking such things as pumpkin pecan cinnamon rolls/plain pumpkin cinnamon rolls, cranberry/pear bears, pumpkin brownies, smores brownies (with vegan marshmallows!), mini pumpkin and mini apple pies, pumpkin oatmeal cookies, maple cupcakes, pumpkin chocolate chip cupcakes... Can you feel Autumn in the air?

Mishka-I am really thinking about moving to BC in the next few years (or somewhere warmer..).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:41 pm 

i had a pumpkin brownie, and orgasmed numerous times while consuming it.
thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm 

biorobotics wrote:
i had a pumpkin brownie, and orgasmed numerous times while consuming it.
thank you.

Ah! I wish I had known :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:28 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hey all! I thought I would ask the friendly PPKers about this since you're all such awesome people. (Blatant sucking up--but also totally true.)

A friend is holding a silent auction for the diabetes foundation--does anyone know of or have space in Toronto where they could host it, for free? An art gallery or club/bar or perhaps a dance or yoga studio that might donate space for about three hours on an evening or weekend in December. Any suggestions, referrals, something from a friend of a friend, or places to check out?

Thanks in advance, awesome PPKers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:49 am 
Tofu Pup

I'd be into the vegan dinner club too! I'm going to be away Jan and Feb though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:25 pm 

evolvedtriangle wrote:
Hey all! I thought I would ask the friendly PPKers about this since you're all such awesome people. (Blatant sucking up--but also totally true.)

A friend is holding a silent auction for the diabetes foundation--does anyone know of or have space in Toronto where they could host it, for free? An art gallery or club/bar or perhaps a dance or yoga studio that might donate space for about three hours on an evening or weekend in December. Any suggestions, referrals, something from a friend of a friend, or places to check out?

Thanks in advance, awesome PPKers!

1-How about Scadding Court community centre by bathurst and dundas?

2-Today was at Essence of life where i bought a buccaneer and twilight 'candy bar'. Children and I scarfed 2 down in minutes. I *ahem* returned and bought 3 more so that we'd have some at home (dangerous as now another one has disappeared). If you have never eaten one of these chocolate bars they are DELICIOUS!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:37 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Calico closed. Jared is off to be a private chef for a wealthy family in the city. Sadness :(

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.c ... ent=177845

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:08 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

@ magnolia416 - Thank you so much for that tip. I get a lot more writing done in an hour at a cafe than an hour at home. It would be nice to find something other than a bagel for a vegan nosh while hanging out.

I'd also like to join a vegan supper club, though I love Isa's description of the brunches they held. Something like that could be a lot of fun, too.

If Panacea runs out of Daiya and you're in the area, check out Fiesta Farms on Christie. I alternate where I buy it, though mostly at Panacea because I want to support them. However, I also want to encourage my local family-owned grocery to keep providing these kind of products. They recently added another brand of vegan yogurt, which excited me, because I think I've finally found my favourite (mind you, up to this point I've only tried the raspberry, but even my fussy Mum has decided she likes it. She prefers to not have something if the vegan version is not up to her standard of her omni memories, thus there isn't much in the way of vegan cheese that she'll eat, though she used to live of extra-old cheddar and toast).

Mmm, winter potlucks full of hearty casseroles, stews and apple dumplings and apple crisp. I bought the Mimicreme whipping cream, and really need to bake something yummy to try it out on. A potluck is the perfect idea for this time of year because I need to try out some new recipes for Christmas dinner, before the fact, see what works. Then I have to get them prepared to heat up/finish cooking on the day, since I work Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

SheDevil wrote:
@ magnolia416 - Thank you so much for that tip. I get a lot more writing done in an hour at a cafe than an hour at home. It would be nice to find something other than a bagel for a vegan nosh while hanging out.

I'd also like to join a vegan supper club, though I love Isa's description of the brunches they held. Something like that could be a lot of fun, too.

If Panacea runs out of Daiya and you're in the area, check out Fiesta Farms on Christie. I alternate where I buy it, though mostly at Panacea because I want to support them. However, I also want to encourage my local family-owned grocery to keep providing these kind of products. They recently added another brand of vegan yogurt, which excited me, because I think I've finally found my favourite (mind you, up to this point I've only tried the raspberry, but even my fussy Mum has decided she likes it. She prefers to not have something if the vegan version is not up to her standard of her omni memories, thus there isn't much in the way of vegan cheese that she'll eat, though she used to live of extra-old cheddar and toast).

Mmm, winter potlucks full of hearty casseroles, stews and apple dumplings and apple crisp. I bought the Mimicreme whipping cream, and really need to bake something yummy to try it out on. A potluck is the perfect idea for this time of year because I need to try out some new recipes for Christmas dinner, before the fact, see what works. Then I have to get them prepared to heat up/finish cooking on the day, since I work Christmas.

what's fiesta farms like? i just moved to the neighborhood and i keep meaning to go check it out (and then i forget about it).
also... where did you find the mimicreme? i told my mom i'd gather whatever non-dairy whipped toppings i could and we could taste test cause she was a major whipped cream lover. anyone have any tips on this?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:07 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Fiesta Farms is pretty good for a lot of things. First place I saw Becel's vegan margarine, and the owner has listened when we've asked them to consider carrying certain products. The prices for organic produce are usually good (usually better than Loblaws up the street). Mum likes going for the tasters on the weekend, and has found a number of companies tat they've had in have some vegan products.

Another place for good organic produce prices in the neighbourhood is the little grocer at Manning and Bloor, diagonally across from the big Korean store. They can be better than Fiesta with what they have. I do love being at Fiesta, though, when the organic is less expensive than regular. Puts paid to the idea that organic is way more expensive.

The Mimicreme was from Panacea. It's expensive, but I figured it was healthier than Nutriwhip, or whichever one of those edible oil products is vegan. If you get it before I try mine and report back, make sure you're getting the one for whipping. There is a coffee creamer, recipe cream replacement and the whipping one. I was a huge fan of real whipped cream, and so far there hasn't been much to choose from, veganwise. Just Nutriwhip, and now Mimicreme, as far as I know. No-one seems to carry Soyatoo anymore. Fiesta was the first place I saw it, but that was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

SheDevil wrote:
Fiesta Farms is pretty good for a lot of things. First place I saw Becel's vegan margarine, and the owner has listened when we've asked them to consider carrying certain products. The prices for organic produce are usually good (usually better than Loblaws up the street). Mum likes going for the tasters on the weekend, and has found a number of companies tat they've had in have some vegan products.

Another place for good organic produce prices in the neighbourhood is the little grocer at Manning and Bloor, diagonally across from the big Korean store. They can be better than Fiesta with what they have. I do love being at Fiesta, though, when the organic is less expensive than regular. Puts paid to the idea that organic is way more expensive.

The Mimicreme was from Panacea. It's expensive, but I figured it was healthier than Nutriwhip, or whichever one of those edible oil products is vegan. If you get it before I try mine and report back, make sure you're getting the one for whipping. There is a coffee creamer, recipe cream replacement and the whipping one. I was a huge fan of real whipped cream, and so far there hasn't been much to choose from, veganwise. Just Nutriwhip, and now Mimicreme, as far as I know. No-one seems to carry Soyatoo anymore. Fiesta was the first place I saw it, but that was a long time ago.

awesome, thanks so much for the input! i'll be getting on this mimicreme whip asap and will report back.

i'm definitely going to check out those stores this weekend! so far i've been getting most of my organic produce at karma co-op, though i've had to pick up a few things from noah's tiny selection. karma's got a nice selection though! it will be nice to have so many options close by.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 690 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next