| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: wholly guacamole snack packs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I found these at the regular supermarket today and tried them out in a sandwich:

http://www.eatwholly.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=231

Really good! I never thought a pre-made guac would be good but these are tasty and would be really handy to take to work.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

Post subject: Re: wholly guacamole snack packs
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I think the stuff tastes pretty good. I avoid the big packs because they tend to go brown pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Samesies! I always stay away from premade guac because it's so easy to make, but my best friend started getting this all the time and was really impressed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:09 am 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

I have a few of these in my fridge at work. I use them for emergencies when I get really hungry. They are a little saltier than I would like but they are a good snack.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 am 
Chard Martyr

I've never been able to find the snack packs (Fee talked about them on the old boards, I think)- only the big ones, bummer. Did you get them at your regular grocery?

I would try them if I could get my hands on some, because the big ones are pretty decent, but like fatcat said, they go brown too easily. I meant to check at TJ's last time I went if they still sell the frozen individual avocado halves- that's as close as I can get to snack-packy guac goodness.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Meggs wrote:
I've never been able to find the snack packs (Fee talked about them on the old boards, I think)- only the big ones, bummer. Did you get them at your regular grocery?

I would try them if I could get my hands on some, because the big ones are pretty decent, but like fatcat said, they go brown too easily. I meant to check at TJ's last time I went if they still sell the frozen individual avocado halves- that's as close as I can get to snack-packy guac goodness.

yeah I found them at a regular grocery but it was the first time I'd ever seen them- they were by the Yves and Lightlife fake meats in the produce section.

I forgot about those TJs avocado halves- those are pretty good too! Haven't bought them in over a year though, so I'm not sure if they're still around either.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:55 pm 
Chard Martyr

Totally crazy- I stumbled upon these today at my Target that recently became a "super" Target (or whatever).
It's like you're psychic, Quarantined. Or you aligned the stars for me. Or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wait, hold on. Frozen avocado halves? As in, it does not ruin an avocado to freeze it? If so my life just got alot easier. Do they do anything special to them before freezing or have any preservatives or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm addicted to those things. They have just enough garlic to make me happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

vegetable_assassin wrote:
Wait, hold on. Frozen avocado halves? As in, it does not ruin an avocado to freeze it? If so my life just got alot easier. Do they do anything special to them before freezing or have any preservatives or something?

This is news to me as well. I only ever freeze mashed/pureed avocado these days. Once I put an avocado in the freezer (whole) and it came out all rubbery. It softened enough to be edible :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:02 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

cakenstein wrote:

This is news to me as well. I only ever freeze mashed/pureed avocado these days. Once I put an avocado in the freezer (whole) and it came out all rubbery. It softened enough to be edible :(

I tried these once and was disappointed in how the texture was when they thawed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 pm 
Chard Martyr

cakenstein wrote:

Nope, just avocado halves. No preservatives as far as I recall. But it's been quite some time, so I'm not sure if TJ's even carries them any longer. I was not put off with how they defrosted. I left them in the refrigerator overnight and they were great the next day. But like I said, it's been a while, so don't quote me on anything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:28 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
fun fact, some store brand "guacamole" doesnt not contain any avocado at all

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/n ... ole30.html

And my southern californianess laughs at all of you. I bought organic avocados today at the store for 85 cents a piece. We have high rent, but fucking-a, we also have avocados up the bunghole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:39 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I bought these at Costco today!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:16 am 
Chard Martyr

Adam Crisis wrote:
And my southern californianess laughs at all of you. I bought organic avocados today at the store for 85 cents a piece. We have high rent, but forking-a, we also have avocados up the bunghole

That's so gross. Here, have a bowl of partially hydrogenated oil and food coloring guacamole.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:18 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I buy that stuff a lot. Avocados are just so expensive around here, but that stuff will go on sale all the time. I don't have a problem with the stuff going brown, probably because I usually end up eating it all in one sitting. I do like adding diced tomatoes to it though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:40 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just bought some more of these yesterday! And Adam Crisis, GTFO with your 89 cent organic avocados.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Meggs wrote:
cakenstein wrote:

Nope, just avocado halves. No preservatives as far as I recall. But it's been quite some time, so I'm not sure if TJ's even carries them any longer. I was not put off with how they defrosted. I left them in the refrigerator overnight and they were great the next day. But like I said, it's been a while, so don't quote me on anything.

I had them a few months ago. They were packed in those vacuum-sealed plastic things before freezing, so that there wasn't any air around them. But other than that, no preservatives. All the things that I used them in after thawing them were things that called for mashed avocado, and I had no issues with the texture.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:48 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Quarantined wrote:
I just bought some more of these yesterday! And Adam Crisis, GTFO with your 89 cent organic avocados.

hahaha, youre probably just stuck with Hass ones too

you havent lived till you have a fuerte or bacon avocado that was picked ripe off the tree that morning

go eat one of those gross Florida ones!

hugs and kisses,

AC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

Now you're just being mean, Adam.
Best I can get is regular Hass on sale for .99
Larisa wrote:
I had them a few months ago. They were packed in those vacuum-sealed plastic things before freezing, so that there wasn't any air around them. But other than that, no preservatives. All the things that I used them in after thawing them were things that called for mashed avocado, and I had no issues with the texture.
Wow, so they still have them? I looked for them when I was at TJ's last time, but didn't see them. Granted, I didn't look very hard, and I didn't ask, but that's good that they still have them.

Not all of us are lucky enough to have avocados year-round for a reasonable price. Or different TYPES of avocados!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am a little bit addicted to those. I slathered some on a veggie burger for lunch today! Deelish.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:49 pm 
Inflexitarian

Meggs wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
And my southern californianess laughs at all of you. I bought organic avocados today at the store for 85 cents a piece. We have high rent, but forking-a, we also have avocados up the bunghole

That's so gross. Here, have a bowl of partially hydrogenated oil and food coloring guacamole.

I don't know who I'm madder at: Kraft for killing the sacred Guacamole, or the woman suing cause she can't read a label on a pre-made dip before using it and being disappointed it's not really food.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love WG - I have only trued the original...Is the spicy good? I tried a spicy guac from another company and it burned hard core - not so good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they consistently put out (PDF) coupons, so make sure you have some on you at all times.
http://printablecouponsanddeals.net/ref ... uct-2.html

i stock up when they're free/cheap, and freeze them, and then all it takes is a glass of hot water and a few minutes, and they're ready to be nommed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 am 
Chard Martyr

assilembob wrote:
I don't know who I'm madder at: Kraft for killing the sacred Guacamole, or the woman suing cause she can't read a label on a pre-made dip before using it and being disappointed it's not really food.

I'm going with the woman. So many companies do things like this. But... maybe we're just used to reading labels, so we don't typically fall victim to this sort of thing? Plus, it has whey in it, so we wouldn't be picking the Kraft stuff up anyway.

I'm with you, AV, I've been putting avocado slices or WG on my sandwiches nearly daily for the past few weeks.
Thanks, Supercarrot!

eta: missmuffcake, I don't know if I've had the hot one. I currently only have the original one.