| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This is RIDICULOUS.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:50 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

Oh, beloved PPK, I need some serious advice about Frodo. He's come a long way with his behavior problems, but the last week has been a doozy.

Recently, Frodo has been having a lot of potty "accidents," mostly in my bed. He isn't even allowed on my bed, so this is a double offense in my eyes. These accidents aren't because he hasn't been outside, normally it happens within an hour of a walk or being outside. He has also been chewing EVERYTHING in sight, even breaking into my laundry basket to chew up my clothes. Everything in the bedroom is kept in the closet with the exception of a mirror, my bed and a laundry basket. Somehow he managed to push open the door open to take out a few feminine supplies (clean, of course) and chewed them up on my bed. He also marked the side of my bed.

Omfg. Someone help me before I do something unvegan.

Post subject: Re: This is RIDICULOUS.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am 
Semen Strong

That sounds really stressful! Do you have access to a dog behaviourist or trainer? They can probably let you know what might work best.

It sounds like he likes chewing, so maybe get him some big hard rubber chew toys or a large rawhide (NV) that he can take his chewies out on. My MIL's pittypuppy has the kind of energy that requires her to always be chewing something.

I haven't ever crated our dog, but I hear from friends who do that that often works well - maybe crate/confine him in a large comfortable space where he can't do as much damage. We use a babygate to keep Cuddles out of the cat room - maybe get one to keep Frodo in the kitchen?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:52 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I also recommend crating/baby gates, we've used both in the past (the crate to sleep in because Bonny liked to pee and crepe in the middle of the night [they both slept in one large crate so they didn't mind] and the baby gate for the same reason Tofulish does). Also, you can get sweet potato rawhides! I've seen them in a catalog along with other sizes of sweet potato treats. Just be careful because I saw some in Petsmart and got all excited, then realized that they were regular rawhides coated with sweet potato.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Is this happening when you aren't there? I have to third the suggestion to crate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

How old is he and how long have you had him? Is he neutered? Sounds like normal puppy or adolescent behaviour to me. Many many times with a puppy or adopted dog, you're super careful in the beginning- supervising all the time, taking the dog outside frequently, rewarding good behaviour...and then everything seems to be going well so you get a bit more lax. When I adopted my doggy, she had no accidents the first few weeks because I was watching her so closely, and she was a bit shy so was sticking by my side. Then I started thinking "oh she's housebroken now!" but she wasn't. So when I stopped being on top of her all the time and she gained the confidence to wander out of my sight, all of a sudden there were accidents and chewed up shoes and all that wonderful stuff!

You have to go back to square one. Pretend this is a little 8 week old puppy that you just took home today. Crated or somehow confined to a safe area when you are not there. Closely supervised when you are (or even leashed to your belt to keep him right with you). Take him outside on leash every couple of hours. Praise him and give a little treat when he goes outside. Make sure you really clean up all accidents with cleaner made specifically for pet accidents, so the smell is gone and won't attract him. Make sure he has plenty of appropriate chew toys and that all non-appropriate items are secured out of his reach (keep your bedroom door shut for now). If you haven't signed up for obedience classes, do it now. A group class or private lessons with a good positive trainer will help you build a bond with your dog and teach him to look to you for guidance. Tons of mental (training, solving puzzles, treat dispensing toys) and physical (walks, playing, playdates with other dogs) stimulation. Bored dog=bad dog and tired dog=good dog. One of the best things you can do is to stop feeding him his meals in a bowl. Use the food as training treats and start working on those commands (drop it, leave it, come, sit, down, wait, etc.) that will make your life soooo much easier. (Again, I really advise getting help from a good trainer. They can help you deal with frustration and setbacks.) And use treat dispensing toys (tons of them at any pet store or pet catalog) to keep him occupied when you need a break.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:01 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
How old is he and how long have you had him? Is he neutered? Sounds like normal puppy or adolescent behaviour to me. Many many times with a puppy or adopted dog, you're super careful in the beginning- supervising all the time, taking the dog outside frequently, rewarding good behaviour...and then everything seems to be going well so you get a bit more lax. When I adopted my doggy, she had no accidents the first few weeks because I was watching her so closely, and she was a bit shy so was sticking by my side. Then I started thinking "oh she's housebroken now!" but she wasn't. So when I stopped being on top of her all the time and she gained the confidence to wander out of my sight, all of a sudden there were accidents and chewed up shoes and all that wonderful stuff!

You have to go back to square one. Pretend this is a little 8 week old puppy that you just took home today. Crated or somehow confined to a safe area when you are not there. Closely supervised when you are (or even leashed to your belt to keep him right with you). Take him outside on leash every couple of hours. Praise him and give a little treat when he goes outside. Make sure you really clean up all accidents with cleaner made specifically for pet accidents, so the smell is gone and won't attract him. Make sure he has plenty of appropriate chew toys and that all non-appropriate items are secured out of his reach (keep your bedroom door shut for now). If you haven't signed up for obedience classes, do it now. A group class or private lessons with a good positive trainer will help you build a bond with your dog and teach him to look to you for guidance. Tons of mental (training, solving puzzles, treat dispensing toys) and physical (walks, playing, playdates with other dogs) stimulation. Bored dog=bad dog and tired dog=good dog. One of the best things you can do is to stop feeding him his meals in a bowl. Use the food as training treats and start working on those commands (drop it, leave it, come, sit, down, wait, etc.) that will make your life soooo much easier. (Again, I really advise getting help from a good trainer. They can help you deal with frustration and setbacks.) And use treat dispensing toys (tons of them at any pet store or pet catalog) to keep him occupied when you need a break.

Good luck!

Can we make this a sticky for "If you have dog behavior questions, start here"? I wish this had been in a flyer when I adopted Mare! We got there, but it it took several months of trial-and-error for me to learn all of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

some good advice someone on a dog specific forum gave me that really worked well even though I hesitated forever to actually do it. Keep a leash on him (short) and tie it to your belt or around your waist when you are home. Don't let him out of your sight so when he is home with you he can't get in trouble without you seeing it and giving him a nice firm no. It sounds annoying but it really helped me with one of my dogs that was geting into everything! Also a tired dog is a good dog. If he is getting enough physical energy out try doing some clicker training with him to get some of the mental energy out.