| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 115  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:04 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Kelly wrote:
TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
(I saw a hot Latina breastfeed on the monorail at Disney World many years ago)

DisneyWorld is like the land of breastfeeding! Last year when we went, sometimes I would go to a bench to nurse Silas and find another woman nursing her baby there too. I was the only american I saw nursing though. One woman that I ran across a few times was so awesome, she'd just throw her whole top down and get comfortable, just the way I would at home, no matter where she was. I wanted to cheer. Another woman came up to me on our last day and said She just had to tell me how happy it made her to see babies getting breastmilk, especially in public and at his age (he was about 18 months), and went on and on about how she wished she had been so confident while her kids were babies. <3 I live in a really rural place, where it's super rare to see anyone nursing or even know anyone nursing past a few months, so this was huge for me.

I remember thinking, "wow, she just popped her boob right out!" I didn't care (until I had kids, I always assumed most people breastfed and hardly anybody used formula -- obviously, I didn't grow up where I live now, although I never saw anybody breastfeed in public where I grew up), I just hadn't seen anybody doing it before. I always kind of loved that the first person I saw nursing in public was a beautiful Latina.

mittenmacher wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
I was even at Starbucks one time meeting with a friend, I was BFing (with a nursing cover on!) and my husband was sitting on the other side of the cafe. He told me later that one guy started talking about how gross it was that I was breastfeeding in public, and the other people around joined in talking about how I should go home if I had to do that, or just pump and give him a bottle if I'm going to be in public (I wish it were that easy!).

It's not like you were pooping at the table! Good grief! Grow up, people.

I worked at a SBUX in PDX once and somebody peed there all over a chair and I'm pretty sure somebody pooped there once, too. There were a lot of crazy people at that shop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

I pop the boob out everywhere. EVERYWHERE. The town I live in is pretty breastfeeding friendly... about as friendly as I've ever found... and people still sometimes give me the hairy eyeball. Especially now that the Emperor's older. Now that he's older, people will walk right up to me and say things like, "Wow, he still nurses?! How much longer are you going to nurse him for?!"

There's something about babies and baby related things like what/when/how babies eat that really brings out the rude side in a lot of otherwise very nice people.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

coldandsleepy wrote:
I pop the boob out everywhere. EVERYWHERE. The town I live in is pretty breastfeeding friendly... about as friendly as I've ever found... and people still sometimes give me the hairy eyeball. Especially now that the Emperor's older. Now that he's older, people will walk right up to me and say things like, "Wow, he still nurses?! How much longer are you going to nurse him for?!"

There's something about babies and baby related things like what/when/how babies eat that really brings out the rude side in a lot of otherwise very nice people.

isn't that the truth?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i would breastfeed in public, but since my son was about 4 months old, he won't, he is too interested in everything else to nurse. but i don't hide that i breastfeed and i live in an area where very few people breastfeed and those that do seem to stop around 6 months, i am surprised by some of the comments i have gotten, i was raised by hippies, and extended breastfeeding (some to 5) was the norm, so some of the things people helpfully tell me- like breast milk isn't nutritious after 6 months (i've even been told after 3 months), breastfeeding my older child keeps him from learning self control (really???)-surprise and frustrate me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know I am always ranting about how I live in an area where nobody breastfeeds, but I guess I should mention I've never gotten any flack or stink-eyes from it.

The most BFing flack I've ever had was from my family. Despite being pro-breastfeeding, my MIL and mom gave me flack for "nursing too much" (I nurse on demand) and my dad says everybody should cover when they nurse (including me in my own home if he is there). Fortunately, they all live rather far away and practically never visit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:52 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I only breastfed for a short time, but when I did the people who gave me the most crepe were Malcolm's uncles (on his dad's side). I could have wrapped myself in a duvet and they still wouldn't have been comfortable in the same room with me. So whenever they were over (often) I would be treated like I had the plague or something. Newborns nurse for a long time, so sitting alone in a bedroom for 45 minutes at a go trying to hear what everyone it talking about at the other end of the house was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

jildez wrote:
i would breastfeed in public, but since my son was about 4 months old, he won't, he is too interested in everything else to nurse.

Silas went through a stage where he wouldn't let me nurse him in public either. Too much exciting stuff going on! But then he went right back to anytime, anywhere a few months later. I don't think I've gotten any dirty looks, which is pretty shocking for where I live and his age.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

AmandaMelanie wrote:
I only breastfed for a short time, but when I did the people who gave me the most crepe were Malcolm's uncles (on his dad's side). I could have wrapped myself in a duvet and they still wouldn't have been comfortable in the same room with me. So whenever they were over (often) I would be treated like I had the plague or something. Newborns nurse for a long time, so sitting alone in a bedroom for 45 minutes at a go trying to hear what everyone it talking about at the other end of the house was awesome.

that's so messed up! And I thought expecting any sort of cover up ( unless you're most comfy that way ) was silly....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I posted this on the 'someone in real life is wrong' thread in the foyer, but I think it needs to be posted here too while we're bisqueing about other people's opinions of breastfeeding (that's what we're doing, right...?)

My friend has the most ridiculous opinions on public breastfeeding EVER. Every time I see her she tells me about another story she heard on the news about a lady who got kicked out of a public place for breastfeeding, then waxes poetic about how she thinks it's okay as long as they don't whip the full tit out for all to see. The most recent thing she said was that she thinks it's gross for women to breastfeed at the table in a restaurant and that they should go to a bathroom stall to nurse if the baby is hungry.

Instead of getting crazy and reactionary to each of her asinine, ignorant statements I am saving them up for when she has a kid and is breastfeeding so I can be a passive aggressive bisque and see what she thinks THEN. I'm really hoping she tries to nurse at a table in a restaurant so I can ask her if she doesn't think she should go nurse in the bathroom.

There are a LOT of statements so far. She does not have kids (yet) and has no baby experience, but she does like to give me advice and such all the time. Annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm 

AmandaMelanie wrote:

and this happens to so many people. i do hope as more people bf it becomes accepted and normal. the greatest thing for me was being invited over by out turkish neighbors when my boy was just 3 or 4 weeks old and having this very observant, muslim family completely encourage me to bf at the dinner table.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I like to think of it from the babie's point of view, and compare to adults.
Would an adult like to eat their dinner in a bathroom stall? Covered with a blanket? Probably not. What makes everything think the baby wants to eat in a filthy bathroom stall?
I think there are a handful of women who take things to the extreme to trigger a response, and I'm not sure how that really helps anything. Thoughts?
If anyone brings up negative issues surrounding breastfeeding, I try to give them positive views on it to change their minds, and hopefully reduce the amount of dirty stares moms get while nursing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:53 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've only ever had to nurse Kai in public once at the airport. We were in a relatively secluded area and I used a cover so it was fine. I'm kinda shy - I use the cover in front of everyone but my husband and mom. And I'm a homebody so I dont go out that much anyway.

The best was probably Christmas dinner- he was crying and hungry so I nursed him at the table while everyone ate! Haha luckily it was only my brother, his wife, niece and her boyfriend this year and they were cool about it.

Even though I'm shy about it, I don't think others should be. I think women should be able to do it without cover whenever they want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:19 am 
And you never will.

Everyone should check out this facebook page of Historic Photos & Prints of Breastfeeding.

I love the pictures, and it demonstrates how throughout history (and pretty recent history, at that!) breastfeeding in public wasn't considered anything but normal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 pm 

Those photos are great!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I've breastfed in public a few times in restaurants and baby-friendly stores. I wear a smock, but it's hard to be discreet because Walter is the noisiest eater you have ever heard. I almost want to record it so you could hear. There's gulping, smacking, grunting, growling, squeaking... I wear a smock in public, and it sounds like I have a bear cub under there. Man he loves to eat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Haha mitten that's funny. Dash is sometimes loud but that's only when he's famished.

poopie, thanks for that link, it's pretty great to see all that art / those pictures. There's some lovely work on there!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mittenmacher wrote:
I've breastfed in public a few times in restaurants and baby-friendly stores. I wear a smock, but it's hard to be discreet because Walter is the noisiest eater you have ever heard. I almost want to record it so you could hear. There's gulping, smacking, grunting, growling, squeaking... I wear a smock in public, and it sounds like I have a bear cub under there. Man he loves to eat.

My SIL's first kid nursed loudly!! When I was pregnant with ToddlerCrafter, she was nursing (while her parents stared right at her boobs and ran a weird, loud, and totally-not-ironic running commentary) and the kid slurped, gasped, and gulped at the approximate volume of a jet engine. The whole scene was very very surreal.

I have a question for you nursing ladies: do you feed top-down or bottom-up? I pull the neckline of my shirt down (or the side of my tank off my shoulder, etc.) to nurse. I tried nursing bottom up and even if I hunch over like nobody's business, I have to pull my shirt up so high and it is way more revealing (and annoying) than top-down.
(My busty friends say they have no choice but to nurse bottom-up, but I figure with bigger boobs, they don't have to hunch over as much, either.)

Just to be clear, I'm not judging anybody's nursing styles, I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:23 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I never even considered top-down. I wear stretchy teeshirts and pull the bottom of them up. I would have to wear shirts with huge necklines in order to get them underneath my boobs. It just wouldn't be practical for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:00 am 

I prefer top-down, but it requires a button-down shirt. I have two hooded long-sleeve tshirts with enough snaps down the front (not all the way) so I can just unsnap and nurse that I can't stop wearing! I guess I just like my belly to stay warm.

I bought a few button down blouses for work too. But when all my button down shirts are dirty I have to do it bottom up. Which I really hate because it is freezing in my office!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:54 am 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Depends on the shirt. My tank tops are always top-down, but most other things are bottom-up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:54 am 
Married to the wolfman

TheCrabbyCrafter wrote:
(My busty friends say they have no choice but to nurse bottom-up, but I figure with bigger boobs, they don't have to hunch over as much, either.)

I have huge boobs, and when the Emperor was first born, I was definitely shirt up, because I didn't think the necks on any of my shirts would stretch enough. Then I acquired a couple of super stretchy shirts and ones with button fronts and started popping the boob up. Now I'm such a boob popping professional that I can get these things out of ANYTHING. Yesterday I wore a man t-shirt with a normal manly neckhole, and I still managed to get my boob up and out of it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am 

I usually nurse bottom-up, but I always wear a nursing tank underneath so I don't show my belly. I have some tops that are stretchy and low cut enough for me to pop my boobs out of the top. I'm not sure that being small boobed helps that much with nursing top-down. My boobs are small enough that I can't flop them around much at all. That can make it difficult to nurse pulling my shirt down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I prefer v-neck, easy to pull top downs. But I do both.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:16 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mittenmacher wrote:
I never even considered top-down. I wear stretchy teeshirts and pull the bottom of them up. I would have to wear shirts with huge necklines in order to get them underneath my boobs. It just wouldn't be practical for me.

Pretty much this. I had a hard time finding nursing bras that didn't peak up even modest v-necks so I would have had to basically destroy the neckline of every shirt I own. Button ups seem convenient, but even without huge nursing boobs I've always struggled to find them cut in a way that will button over my boobs without pulling and not be oversized everywhere else.

I continued to wear a belly band for a few months after my son was born (since I still couldn't button regular pants) so I never felt like I was showing much. By the time I stopped wearing the band he was a big baby who covered plenty of me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I grew really close to the two other moms who had their babies with our midwives close to Ezra's birthday. They're both a size 4 or smaller and have really tiny boobs. I remember the first time we were all together after having the babies and both of them just pulling down their shirts to feed (one still didn't need to wear a bra!) And there was me with my 38DDDs. I didn't even know you COULD breastfeed by pulling your shirt down. It was so obvious to me that it would never work...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2870 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 115  Next