| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Hampshire USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:59 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've been to Portsmouth with my husband quite a few times. We usually end up at the Friendly Toast and The Portsmouth Brewery. TPB had a great tempeh wrap the last time I was there! Where else should we go? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New Hampshire USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

when i lived in the area i ate at shalimar and flatbread pizza a lot. flatbread's staff seemed very familiar with what was and wasn't vegan, and often helped me make their vegetarian special of the day vegan. there was a tiny mexi place called something like dos amigos. they had a vegan chili, and it was pretty easy to make their stuff vegan. also, in the back of the HFS there's a little cafe area called madeline's, and they always have a lot of vegan to-go deli options.

i feel like there was even more, but it's been a few years since i've lived there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
when i lived in the area i ate at shalimar and flatbread pizza a lot. flatbread's staff seemed very familiar with what was and wasn't vegan, and often helped me make their vegetarian special of the day vegan. there was a tiny mexi place called something like dos amigos. they had a vegan chili, and it was pretty easy to make their stuff vegan. also, in the back of the HFS there's a little cafe area called madeline's, and they always have a lot of vegan to-go deli options.

i feel like there was even more, but it's been a few years since i've lived there.

Thanks! I was wondering about Shalimar. We ate at Flatbread when I ate cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I grew up in Exeter and visit my family there a few times a year, and I go to Portsmouth often. We usually go to Friendly Toast and Flatbreads. The HFS at least used to sell Tofutti Cuties individually, which made a great little dessert after either restaurant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay! Plans to return are revitalized! If anyone knows of a good job and/or place to live in the Portsmouth area, let me know! Thanks :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:57 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

The above suggestions are pretty right on...nothing much has changed.
There's plenty of options here and there but the only all vegan places are kinda off the grid. Susty's in Northwood is surely worth a trip when your in the state though! Soooooo tasty.
Portsmouth Brewery still has tempeh which is nice. In the summer The Juicery is great.
Apparently there is a vegan community kitchen/restaurant in Concord, just learned about this....http://veganconcordkitchen.webs.com/....i must go

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

without interruptions

http://www.veganconcordkitchen.webs.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:43 am 
Tofu Pup

I eat at the Country Life Restaurant in Keene all the time. It's an entirely vegan buffet run by the local 7th Day Adventists.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I worked at the Portsmouth Health Food store for a year as the Manager/Chef of the deli. While I was there, I created a lot of vegan recipes that they are still using I think. I can't vouch for the food since I'm not there, but I think the recipes are still in production.. ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:24 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Also.. I created a lot of recipes for Cafe Indigo when I worked there years ago.. again, I can't vouch for what they are doing today.. but it is an all vegan restaurant located in Concord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:27 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

melomeals wrote:
Also.. I created a lot of recipes for Cafe Indigo when I worked there years ago.. again, I can't vouch for what they are doing today.. but it is an all vegan restaurant located in Concord
I don't know about the actual place, but they had Cafe Indigo carrot cake at my Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago, and it was AWESOME! I was going to get their chocolate cake offering, but then I saw the Candle Cafe vanilla bean cheesecake...

VeganDietitian wrote:
I eat at the Country Life Restaurant in Keene all the time. It's an entirely vegan buffet run by the local 7th Day Adventists.

Can I just say how much I love 7th Day Adventists?! I went to one of my husband's friend's wedding, and I randomly could eat everything because they were 7th day. They had a veg loaf for the main course!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:49 am 
Chip Strong

If you're in Concord definitely check out Cafe Indigo! There's also a Mexican place called Hermanos that apparently has veganizable items but I have not investigated yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm 

appifanie wrote:
Okay! Plans to return are revitalized! If anyone knows of a good job and/or place to live in the Portsmouth area, let me know! Thanks :D

this again. help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Concord just got a ?Boloco? burrito place I have heard good things about, Bejing and Tokyo has bean curd options to live for and they usually have a vegan dish at the Concord Co-op Cafe.

Back in the 603!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

appifanie wrote:
appifanie wrote:

this again. help!

I wish I had info to help! Good luck--hopefully you get back to the New England soon!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The Juicery rocks so hard! Cafe Indigo is quite awesome but isn't open on weekends except for the 3rd Sunday of the month for brunch.

There's a crepe place in Dover that my husband's boss's friends own and apparently they have some vegan eats. It's called Silver Moon Creperie. I haven't been there, so I can't vouch for the quality. http://www.silvermooncreperie.com/

There's a place in Exeter that's supposed to have really good vegan burgers, but the name is totally escaping me. Also, if you're in Portsmouth with car access, you need to take the 30-40 drive to Susty's in Northwood as it is awesomely amazing and wonderful. http://www.sustysnorthwood.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
appifanie wrote:
appifanie wrote:

this again. help!

I wish I had info to help! Good luck--hopefully you get back to the New England soon!!

thanks!

iloveheeze wrote:
The Juicery rocks so hard!

I went to the Juicery 2 or 3 times and it was never worth it. Either it was really busy and there was 1 person working or it wasn't busy and there were 2-3 people working, all who preferred to chat to themselves than to me. I forget one thing I ordered and the other thing had frozen mango and it wasn't at all good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:37 am 

Well, I think it's worth it. There can be a long wait, but I've always had good juices and smoothies there. I guess it just depends on when you go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:31 pm 

Okay, just back from a trip to Concord. I have to tell you that there's a vegan all you can eat place that I think is part of that community center thing. Basically, you pay 9.50 and can get all you can eat of a four course meal including dessert.

I only discovered after having some crazy good burritos as Dos Amigos down the street (both places are on Main Street), they have really yummy baked tofu there and their burritos are really tasty (if a little lacking in salt). There's also an Egyptian place off of Main street that supposedly has great vegan food, but the husband and kid were in full blown burrito mode so I didn't check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:56 am 

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and haven't seem to had much luck connecting to anyone, or even getting anyone to notice I'm here, so i thought I would pop in here and say hello. I live in Manchester and unfortunately don't really know of many places to go that I can get some good vegan eats. I like India Palace but they seem to put ghee in everything. I also like Consuelo's. A tiny taqueria that seems to have good options.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:45 am 

Hey, I'm from Manchester originally. I've never been to Consuelo's, but I remember hearing good things. Where is it?

I've heard that Jewell and the Beanstalk has good tofu scramble...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

VeganDietitian wrote:

ksc?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 pm 

iloveheeze wrote:
Hey, I'm from Manchester originally. I've never been to Consuelo's, but I remember hearing good things. Where is it?

I've heard that Jewell and the Beanstalk has good tofu scramble...

It's off of Elm St. I don't remember exactly where. I'm rubbish with directions. Never been to Jewell's but they get a good wright up in The Hippo every year so I am sure it's worth a try.

I just went to Cafe Indigo in Concord for the first time with a friend the other day. SO GOOD. I had a falafel burger and a lemon cookie bar thing and it was AMAZING. I bought a carrot cake to go for my fiancée but he didn't really like it. He said it was too "dense". I have yet to find anything vegan he really likes. ::sigh:: Topic for another place.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:19 pm 

If you have the chance to drive all the way up to Susty's, you have to go! It's so good and they always have yummy desserts.

And your fiancee is crazy because that carrot cake is the stuff that dreams are made of.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:31 am 
ugh

Lixa wrote:
If you're in Concord definitely check out Cafe Indigo! There's also a Mexican place called Hermanos that apparently has veganizable items but I have not investigated yet.

I'm going to try out Hermanos Cocina Mexicana later today! Here's their menu: http://www.hermanosmexican.com/menus#dinein

Looks like you can sub veggie crumbles* & vegan cheese in many items. There is also a vegan dessert - Mexican Chocolate Mocha Cake!

* The crumbles are from Cafe Indigo.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman