| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: You've come a long way, vegan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 am 
WRETCHED

Andre3000 <3

And I just googled him too, I didn't know he was born 2 days after me. Maybe that is why I love him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:57 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

IsaChandra wrote:
Most people understand vegan diet to mean a diet in which you eat vegan. I don't think that means it's watered down.

Well I pour water over all my food before I eat it, so my vegan diet is watered down!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

veganskater wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
veganskater wrote:
So if a person wears a fur coat, leather boots, silk scarf, animal tested make up (if they are female or a male into new wave), smokes but doesn't eat animal products they would be "vegan"??

But the article refers to the fact that vegans don't wear leather, etc. It also talks about the vegan diet, as in what vegans eat. Did you read the article? It's ok to say "vegan diet." No one is saying it's vegan to wear fur. You're arguing something that no one is saying.

I am not arguing, I am make a point that veganism isn't a diet it is a lifestyle, I take issue with it being called a diet. The article should be called vegan lifestyle is going mainstream or something along those lines. I just don't want to see veganism as the next fadkins diet....

The term "diet" simply describes everything you eat. It doesn't mean you're dieting. A vegan, as part of their vegan lifestyle, will eat a vegan diet. And the term "argue" means you're making a point. If you're making several points, or the same point over and over again, you are "argumentative".

And personally, even if it did become somewhat fashionable, I can think of worse fads than saving the lives of animals. A few people rooting for something on a shallow level doesn't make the passionate vegans any less serious and deeply motivated. An article like this should exemplify that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

Coming soon at Never Felt Better Vegan Shop 1" buttons that say "Veganism is a lifestyle, not a diet" get at me if you want one :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:14 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

veganskater wrote:
My only complaint is the title of the article, veganism isn't a diet it is a lifestyle, otherwise it was a good article. Also I got to ask where the hell did the whole hippie vegan thing come about? I mean 20 years ago when I first went vegan the only other vegans I knew where punk and hardcore kids, all my dead head hippie friends where mostly vegetation, I honestly don't think I have ever meet a hippie vegan, though I don't hang out many places where hippies would be.

http://www.thefarm.org/lifestyle/index.html

They are the only self described vegan hippies I'm aware of, but I imagine there are more. The Farm was fairly well studied so it's possible that's where the reference came from.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 pm 
Saggy Butt

That makes sense about the Farm, though because they use honey I never called them vegan. Love that cook book, mine is held together with duct tape.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:47 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

now I feel stupid because I didnt know he has a kid with Erykah Badu. Andre3000, not veganskater.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

jerusha wrote:
now I feel stupid because I didnt know he has a kid with Erykah Badu. Andre3000, not veganskater.

I wish Erykah Badu was my baby moma, she is fine!!!