| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk about eating balanced!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:48 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I fail a lot when it comes to eating well. I used to eat awesome at my parent's, then went 3 years in college with no cooking and now am not into the swing of things at all.

Example is my food today:
Bean burrito w/ multi-grain tortilla
Frozen Rising Moon ravoili
maybe 1/4 cup curry with tofu and veggies
Big hot chocolate
3 pieces of chocolate
5 ginger chews

You can see my laziness abounds. If this has happened to you, what do you do to correct it?

Post subject: Re: Let's talk about eating balanced!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Veggies can be hard for me to make sure I'm eating enough each day. I make a huge salad if I am behind on eating greens that day. Either as a snack between lunch/dinner or dinner itself. I also throw greens in my smoothies.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:24 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I should really start doing smoothies in the morning, but I need food that doesn't make noise. I sometimes have work at 5 a.m. and my partner is still asleep. I don't want to wake him with the blender.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:36 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have my smoothies before dinner, to prevent me from starving if I need to cook something first. Maybe try cooking in batches and freezing/keeping some in the fridge and making a rough plan for the week?

I'm not a naturally organised person, but I force myself. It's either that or being hungry at inopportune times. Sunday is usually my "make tons of food and bake" day, which includes preparing things that can be eaten cold for packed lunches. I get a box of produce once a week, so I need to figure out how to use it all up without relying on non-perishable and packaged foods too heavily. Generally, I know what I'll be getting, so I make a note of what I could do with certain vegetables and factor in approximately how long I have to use it up. My freezer is tiny though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:08 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You know, your day doesn't look that bad...just depends on how much of what you ate. Bean burrito = great protein and healthy carbs. Ravioli = carb, proteins, fat, veggies. Curry = protein, fat, veggies.

1/4 cup sounds small, but if you are listening to your body and hunger signals then maybe it was okay for you.

Seems like you prefer convienience foods? Am I right? There's lots of way to eat balanced when you don't have the time or patience to cook. You just need the money!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:09 am 
Naked Under Apron

Sarah wrote:
I should really start doing smoothies in the morning, but I need food that doesn't make noise. I sometimes have work at 5 a.m. and my partner is still asleep. I don't want to wake him with the blender.

i get up super early as well and i love making a big 'ol green smoothie for myself in the mornings. i take the blender out onto the back porch or i'll bring it into the bathroom downstairs (and shut the door) to blend away. doesn't wake my spouse up - and i get to enjoy my smoothie! you can also make a smoothie the night before, pour into a glass jar, cover it up and refrigerate. enjoy when you wake up. w00t!

for me, eating healthy is tough, but i just kinda make myself do it. i'm getting better and my cravings for junk are slooooowly going away, but i find that taking some time on sunday afternoons to prep some veggies and other healthy options for the week is helpful. i usually cook a grain or two (brown rice and maybe some millet or quinoa), cut up a bunch of veggies (for dinners and for snacking), soak nuts and oat groats, and i cook some beans as well. this way i can make a quick bean & grain bowl (topped with a tasty sauce (one of my favorites bowls is a chickpea, kale bowl over brown rice & drizzled with lemony-tahini dress)), a delicious stir fry, or a burrito stuffed with all kinds of yummies. i also LOVE making bean burgers. take a bean, a grain, and a whooooole bunch of veggies. saute your veggies, add in some spices then smash in some beans (sometimes i'll smash in potatoes or sweet potatoes) & add your grain (if you like you can add bread crumbs, flour, or cornmeal as well). form into patties and bake or saute them. i make a bunch to freeze - it's awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:59 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

It took a long time, but now I'm hyperaware of my nutrient intake on a daily basis. I got used to making a meal or snack and, before even deciding what to eat/make, figuring out what I'm lacking for the day (protein, veggies, fat) and trying to incorporate it.

Usually I eat toast with peanut butter and at least one piece of fruit in the morning - breakfast with carbs, protein, and vitamins. Good way to start, as long as you get veggies in during snacks/lunch/dinner.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm struggling at the moment... I was eating so well about six months ago, and felt better than ever. Since then though, I've moved interstate with my boyfriend, and he's into eating heavy, carb-y meals all the time, and I am constantly having to force him to add veggies to things. I'm feeling less energetic than usual, which bites. But i'm trying to cook more than him, so that I get to make the food choices, heh heh. Unfortunately though, once he's in the kitchen - HE'S IN THE KITCHEN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I am struggling huge lately, mainly because the Candida Diet means so much planning and I have been really lazy.

I used to have a huge green smoothie in the morning with fresh fruit and a huge handful of spinach. Then I would have a big salad to eat through out the day and then eat a big meal for dinner, roasted veg, quinoa and tofu or something to that effect.
I found when I wasn't on this no sugar diet that I ate a lot of fruit and that made me feel more balanced.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/