| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cantina Los Caballitos / Cantina Dos Segundos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Randi- that is really weird and surprising about Dos Segundos. I wonder if they set aside just a few tables for reservations? I'd still go, but try to go on the earlier side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:20 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

^^ thats what I was thinking... I mean worse case you cant get a seat there (which id doubt) theres still plenty of places to eat right around there. A full plate, el camino real, bar ferdinan, homeslice, and if you don’t mind walking/driving up on girard, sketch, ekta, kraftworks… im sure im missing some other viable options close.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:07 pm 
Hip Goiter

Yeah I want it so badly that I think I will take my chances. Eric I haven't been to any of the places you listed - what is the best 2nd choice for dinner?

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:45 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hmm well el camino is also Mexican/southwest food. They have seitan and can make a few items vegan (just an fyi their seitan wing sauce is not vegan) and plenty of omni dishes and is up the street next to the piazza. A full plate is right over there too, they have good fries, and some alright main dishes with a bunch of vegi burgers, bbq rib thingys and whatnot. Homeslice has some alright vegan pizza/cheesesteaks along side w omni versions. I think I have photos on our blog of most of the food if you want to see what youll be working with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:00 pm 
Hip Goiter

HI! I'm back. It was AMAZING.
You guys were so right that maybe Dos Segundos just likes to keep most tables open for walk-ins. We got there at 6:45 tonight, table for 5, and there were 4 big tables open! (Of course, it got real packed real fast.)
It was amazing.
For appetizers, we got the mixta salad, the nopal (cactus paddle!) salad, trio of chicken wings (not for me) and the deep-fried avocado special (filled with sausage and cheese, thank goodness, bc otherwise, deep-fried avocado sitting in my belly...). I loved the salads. The nopal/cactus was hotdamn spicy, oh man. Jalapenos and smoked paprika and who knows what, but it was good. But the mixta was my favorite. So great, really pleasant but still interesting.
After eating all that and 2 bowls of the free chips and salsa (which came immediately, so that was nice, but I ate wayyy too many mindlessly), I was almost too full to even try my vegan fajitas. Oh my goodness, what an amazing dish. It was SO MUCH FOOD. A pile of tomato salsa, a pile of guacamole, huge heaps of black beans and white rice, then what seemed like an army's worth of the main event - red and green peppers, mushrooms, onions, smoked tofu and seitan. Holy shiitake it was good. I have about 3 dinners' worth of leftovers in my fridge.
Then the waitress (Babs, who was great) asked if we wanted dessert and my dad asked if any were vegan, and she said x, y, and z cakes are from Vegan Treats. Oh lordy Lard. We had the Cookie Cake (like cookies and cream?), all shared one huge piece and some was still left over. I felt terrible about leaving Vegan Treats uneaten but seriously, so full. Such a great place. So glad I went!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:12 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I was there last night at about 6:45, too, trying to catch Happy Hour, obviously. Glad you liked it! We both had a Mixta Salad (you can add on tofu and it's even better) and the Seitan Empanada special to share (vegan without the dipping sauce, which contains cream).

The Vegan Fajitas is my favorite dish but I never order it unless someone is willing to share because it is indeed enough for 3 dinners.

We just ordered catering from them for a party next week, and they are doing 3 vegan apps and some of the vegan fajitas with fixings for our crowd. I'm pretty sure it'll be amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm glad you were able to get in!