| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:10 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 am
Posts: 159
Location: Singapore!
Do you guys get them? It's my first time, and it's a shin splint. It's been six weeks since I stopped training, and all I did this period of time was cross training and swimming. Now I can walk fine, but running is still a little awkward, with just a tiny bit of pain. I'm pretty sure a session of intervals would bring the pain back full force.

I'm both frustrated and scared, cause I don't think a shin splint takes this long to heal right? And I missed the entire december of soccer and cross country training. This coming competitive season will be my last, and I feel like I'll never get back to where I was pre-injury.

My other teammates have gotten injuries before, but they weren't out of training this long! ):

I'm sorry, just a rant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:17 am 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:33 pm
Posts: 9
Location: Charleston, SC
I've had shin splints before and I just take ibprofen and ice them after runs.Eventually they would go away. I've never stopped running because of them. However I was in the Army and didn't have much of a choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: North Carolina
Are you sure it's a shin split? I ask because I ended up with a weird persistent leg injury that turned out to be a stress fracture. I've had quit all weight bearing exercise - even walking! - since mid-October. It's been really, really hard mentally to take it easy, but I know it's what my body needs. I have a doctors appt this week and am hoping he'll tell me I can start easing back into running.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:41 am
Posts: 6862
Location: Portland
You're still very young, so don't worry about never being in good shape again. Fitness and sports are obviously a big part of your life, and that doesn't have to go away because you get older and it's not part of school anymore. I'm 30 now and am just getting back into fitness and working out after a fairly long time not concentrating on that stuff. It's not like your fitness life is over when you hit 16 or 18 or 26 or 76.

My (non-medical) advice is to take it easy and NOT PUSH. You've got plenty of time to be active and play sports... unless you create chronic, permanent injuries by pushing too hard. Sports injuries are very often a sign that you're working your body too hard. I know those endorphins can make you feel like you're invincible, but the human body has some very definite limits, and part of being fit and staying active as you get older will be learning to respect those limits.

Don't do anything that hurts, and be careful!

_________________
If you spit on my food I will blow your forking head off, you filthy shitdog. - Mumbles
I can tell you this - no mother hubbard is going to tell me where to pee. - Vantine


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:43 am 
Impressive boner
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 3864
Location: Nottingham.
It seems like I struggle with injuries all the time at the moment.

I've had coccygodynia since the end of November, even though I haven't fallen on my coccyx since May/June. It's contributed to lumbar pain as I've been trying to sit with the pressure off my tailbone area. I also have some problems with my right knee after being kicked with a roller skate about a month ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:39 pm 
Tofu Pup
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:23 pm
Posts: 2
I'm brand new to this forum so I guess this is my hello and introduction. --I don't even have an avatar yet, but I'm working on it.

I'm also a strength & conditioning coach, personal trainer and massage therapist. One of my specialties is corrective exercise and post/pre-rehabilitation. So this seemed like a great place to make my first post.

"Shin splints" is a sort of umbrella term for lower leg compartment syndrome. There is no one cause with a subsequent treatment. It can result from improper biomechanics, running on an uneven or banked surface, old/worn/wrong running shoes, and a myriad of other issues.

Ice is always a good idea. One caveat that many people don't realize is that unless your Dr., PT, DC, NP or other medical practitioner specifically advises it, never heat something that's already hot or painful--hot meaning inflamed. If you're at the point where your injury is no longer painful but you have stiffness or limited range of motion, heat can then be a good thing. But a better thing at that point is to alternate hot and cold so as to create a pumping effect to move wastes out of the affected area and bring healing nutrients in.

Some things to look at are: are you running on the same surface every day, and if so is it relatively flat, hilly, banked, or off-road terrain? Also, do you know that your biomechanics are correct? I always use resistance training for all athletes. It trains proper movement, range of motion, and muscle memory and the most fundamental exercise for that is a proper squat with feet parallel and the same joint angle at hip, knee, and ankle.

There are of course other contributing factors as well, but these are big causes so I thought I'd post this info first.

I would be happy to provide additional information if this is helpful to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 am
Posts: 159
Location: Singapore!
Windwalkergirl wrote:
I'm brand new to this forum so I guess this is my hello and introduction. --I don't even have an avatar yet, but I'm working on it.

I'm also a strength & conditioning coach, personal trainer and massage therapist. One of my specialties is corrective exercise and post/pre-rehabilitation. So this seemed like a great place to make my first post.

"Shin splints" is a sort of umbrella term for lower leg compartment syndrome. There is no one cause with a subsequent treatment. It can result from improper biomechanics, running on an uneven or banked surface, old/worn/wrong running shoes, and a myriad of other issues.

Ice is always a good idea. One caveat that many people don't realize is that unless your Dr., PT, DC, NP or other medical practitioner specifically advises it, never heat something that's already hot or painful--hot meaning inflamed. If you're at the point where your injury is no longer painful but you have stiffness or limited range of motion, heat can then be a good thing. But a better thing at that point is to alternate hot and cold so as to create a pumping effect to move wastes out of the affected area and bring healing nutrients in.

Some things to look at are: are you running on the same surface every day, and if so is it relatively flat, hilly, banked, or off-road terrain? Also, do you know that your biomechanics are correct? I always use resistance training for all athletes. It trains proper movement, range of motion, and muscle memory and the most fundamental exercise for that is a proper squat with feet parallel and the same joint angle at hip, knee, and ankle.

There are of course other contributing factors as well, but these are big causes so I thought I'd post this info first.

I would be happy to provide additional information if this is helpful to you.


Thank you! I always run on relatively flat roads, it's usually pavements.

I'm not sure about biomechanics, but I'm a flat foot (: I've never had a problem till now, and I find it strange cause I've been running for three years now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:16 pm 
Naked Under Apron
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am
Posts: 1750
Location: New Portleans
mustardseed wrote:
Do you guys get them?

I'm both frustrated and scared, cause I don't think a shin splint takes this long to heal right?

Hang in there MS! I feel you on the scared and frustrated side of things. I overused my shoulder when I had a little tendinitis and it froze up. Frozen shoulder takes from 6 months to 2 years to reverse, so I really do understand how you're feeling. Jordan offered some really good advice. You'll be ok. Maybe in the meantime, you can spend time on other hobbies you don't usually get to enjoy because you're often so busy with team stuff?

xo
kittee

_________________
Cake Maker to the Stars

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:47 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Posts: 354
Not much to add to a lot of good advice, except have you considered seeing a sports doctor or PT? If it's covered by your insurance, you'll know for sure if it's a stress fracture or something else, and you'll have a better idea how to treat it. Since it's a persistent pain, you're right not to run on it. Good for you for resting it. That's not an easy thing to do! Sometimes the smart way to run is not running at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 1064
Location: Bull City, NC
molly wrote:
Are you sure it's a shin split? I ask because I ended up with a weird persistent leg injury that turned out to be a stress fracture. I've had quit all weight bearing exercise - even walking! - since mid-October. It's been really, really hard mentally to take it easy, but I know it's what my body needs. I have a doctors appt this week and am hoping he'll tell me I can start easing back into running.


My first season of cross country, I had what I thought was a terrible shin splint but turned out to be a stress fracture. I'd definitely get it checked out; 6 weeks seems too long for a shin splint to stick around. If you go to your GP you should be able to get a referral to a doctor who'll know what's going on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 524
Location: N. California
molly wrote:
Are you sure it's a shin split? I ask because I ended up with a weird persistent leg injury that turned out to be a stress fracture.


This! It took 2 X-Rays and an MRI to DX a stress fracture in my heel once.

_________________
"So this is guilt, huh? In the past, I've always just counteracted this feeling with other emotions, like sugar or drunk."- Veronica


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 pm
Posts: 159
Location: gritty urban NJ
I hurt myself all the time exercising - pulled muscles, ripped tendons, pinched nerves in my neck form osteoarthritis, sciatica pains, broken bones in my feet, dislocated shoulder just from stretching, etc. Neither my primary care doc or podiatrist could explain *why* all this was happening. But recently I had labwork done and my vitamin D was non-existent. The lab not only ran it twice but sent a sample to a sister lab, just in case their machine was messed up. Nope, they couldn't find any, either. My doc said this vitamin D deficiency could explain just about every bit of pain and injury for the past few years. I'm now on a mega dose of 5,000 iu daily for 10 weeks then repeat lab work. He's hoping it goes up at least to detectable levels by then and depending on the actual number decide whether I stay at that dose or drop down a bit.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 524
Location: N. California
veggiesue wrote:
I hurt myself all the time exercising - pulled muscles, ripped tendons, pinched nerves in my neck form osteoarthritis, sciatica pains, broken bones in my feet, dislocated shoulder just from stretching, etc. Neither my primary care doc or podiatrist could explain *why* all this was happening. But recently I had labwork done and my vitamin D was non-existent. The lab not only ran it twice but sent a sample to a sister lab, just in case their machine was messed up. Nope, they couldn't find any, either. My doc said this vitamin D deficiency could explain just about every bit of pain and injury for the past few years. I'm now on a mega dose of 5,000 iu daily for 10 weeks then repeat lab work. He's hoping it goes up at least to detectable levels by then and depending on the actual number decide whether I stay at that dose or drop down a bit.


That's very interesting. Despite being pretty healthy, I'm fairly pain/injury prone. I have a physical coming up and will be sure to get my levels checked!

_________________
"So this is guilt, huh? In the past, I've always just counteracted this feeling with other emotions, like sugar or drunk."- Veronica


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:31 pm
Posts: 95
Location: Boston, MA
Allow me to join in the rant. I did yoga 2 times a week, walked daily, and was at least fairly active (although not really an athlete).. until I fractured my right ankle at the end of May. 6+ month later I still haven't gone back to yoga, and I can't walk for more than a half mile without my ankle swelling up and feeling achy. Stopped going to see the ortho doc back in Sept. when he told me "come back in 4 weeks and we'll do another set of x-rays". I was tired of being radiated, never got a suggestion for physical therapy, so I'm still trying to come back from that injury.

I also mentioned to the ortho doc that I've always had problems with hyper flexible joints, and he brushed it off.

I ride a recumbent bike 4+ times a week, and try and walk my dog as many days a week as I can (when it's not icy or slippery outside). Injuries SUCK. In my mid 40s, even more annoying because according to the doc "it takes longer to heal".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm 
Impressive boner
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm
Posts: 3864
Location: Nottingham.
I pulled muscles in both my quads today and had to sit out the last hour of training. It was doubly bad as Tara Armov from LA Derby Dolls was coaching my team. Bah!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:02 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:47 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
I am always strapping something these days :(

Namely my left foot/ankle. Broke a metatarsal in my foot before my last fight, pulled a tendon in my right wrist during it. Right wrist is mostly healed now, but foot hurts if I run more than 15km and hit the bags/pads too hard. Rolled my left ankle a couple of weeks before christmas, and didn't let it heal properly before I went back to training, paying for it now. Currently have issues with a fractured bone in my left forarm after blocking a kick a few months ago... my body hates me :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Struggling with Injuries
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:47 pm
Posts: 112
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
veggiesue wrote:
I hurt myself all the time exercising - pulled muscles, ripped tendons, pinched nerves in my neck form osteoarthritis, sciatica pains, broken bones in my feet, dislocated shoulder just from stretching, etc. Neither my primary care doc or podiatrist could explain *why* all this was happening. But recently I had labwork done and my vitamin D was non-existent. The lab not only ran it twice but sent a sample to a sister lab, just in case their machine was messed up. Nope, they couldn't find any, either. My doc said this vitamin D deficiency could explain just about every bit of pain and injury for the past few years. I'm now on a mega dose of 5,000 iu daily for 10 weeks then repeat lab work. He's hoping it goes up at least to detectable levels by then and depending on the actual number decide whether I stay at that dose or drop down a bit.



This is making me think I should hit the doctor for some blood tests....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer