| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston people
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:23 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Quarantined wrote:
ok, everyone is going to hate me but I finally tried No Name and I was not blown away. I think maybe it's just cause I'm not a superfan of sweet and sour in general. But also the texture of the meat was a little dry, I thought, even under all that sauce.

I like Grasshopper, but I'm right there with you on the No Name; I like a big plate of battered, fried stuff as much as the next girl, but the Sweet & Sour Sensation basically gives the same treatment to to tofu, and I've always vastly preferred that. I also find that if you get a big plate of greens, it seems to help offset the "oof!" factor a bit.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:42 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Quarantined wrote:
VeganFoodRocks wrote:
legumes4lyfe wrote:
The No-Name is delicious, and that's what matters.

No Name is the best. And the wonton soup, at least the broth. I found a recipe for what looks like it could very similar to No Name. I am scared to make it because it will probably become the only thing I cook. Ever.

ok, everyone is going to hate me but I finally tried No Name and I was not blown away. I think maybe it's just cause I'm not a superfan of sweet and sour in general. But also the texture of the meat was a little dry, I thought, even under all that sauce.

Oh nooooooooo! I was there Sunday and got the No Name and it was a really good balance of crispiness and chewiness.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Desdemona wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

I like Grasshopper, but I'm right there with you on the No Name; I like a big plate of battered, fried stuff as much as the next girl, but the Sweet & Sour Sensation basically gives the same treatment to to tofu, and I've always vastly preferred that. I also find that if you get a big plate of greens, it seems to help offset the "oof!" factor a bit.

ok next time I will try the Sweet & Sour sensation, thanks for the tip!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

VeganFoodRocks wrote:

Oh nooooooooo! I was there Sunday and got the No Name and it was a really good balance of crispiness and chewiness.

I'm just such a hater haha.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:58 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

hey bostonites!

mr. carrot and i are going to be in your fine city this weekend. (just in time for pizza day on the 29th! yay! anyone else going? let's meet up! it'll probably need to be late-ish, since we're going to hang with some family in dartmouth on friday (after a grueling drive from philly) and don't want to be rude by leaving too early on sat. we actually might not make it to boston on saturday, so it's all up in the air. bleh.)

anyway! i am definitely going to grasshopper, and we got a groupony thing for ronnarong thai tapas (in somerville) and then on our way home, we're going to get BBQ in rhode island. (aah to travel on the whims of your groupons) as for non-groupon'd food, i read on happycow that the red lentil place has brunch? and a friend has insisted that i go to flour. (i was going to get the ethiopian deal too, but didn't know when i would shove it all in... my stomach, that is. on second thought, i probably should have gotten it, and we could have just gotten takeout for the road. heh. injera and tibs in the car, can you imagine?)

as for non-food, what do you suggest?

i had done some looking around on boston.com and bostonusa.com, and this is what i found that sounded interesting. (p.s. on sunday night we're going to royal rumble!)

Spoiler: show
5. Brewery tours and tastings
Sam Adams Brewery offers tours of the Jamaica Plain facility with discussion of how founder Jim Koch brews the beer. Tours and tastings occur on Monday-Thursday, and Saturday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Fridays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., starting every half hour. Similarly, Harpoon Brewery hosts tastings every weekday at 4p.m., with additional tastings on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays at 2p.m.

11. Walk along the Freedom Trail
Get a real taste of history by taking a self-guided tour along all or part of the 2.5 mile trail. Just follow the red-brick or red-painted line from the Visitor Information Center on the Boston Common and enjoy the 16 historic stops along the way, including Faneuil Hall, Paul Revere's house, and the Old North Church.

12. Tour the USS Constitution
The USS Constitution, also known as "Old Ironsides," cruises Boston Harbor. Take a tour of the Navy yard, exhibit hall, and oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world.

18. Historic Beacon Hill
Take a walk and get lost down narrow cobble brick roads in the historical Beacon hill area.

24. Visit the Mount Auburn Cemetery
Those looking for a historically rich and beautifully landscaped retreat should visit "America's first garden cemetery," Mount Auburn Cemetery. Located on the border of Cambridge and Watertown, the cemetery features classical monuments.

Evolution Exhibit
Harvard Museum of Natural History
Address: 26 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 495-3045
Neighborhood: Cambridge

Robots and Beyond: Exploring Artificial Intelligence at MIT
MIT Museum
Address: 265 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA
Phone: (617) 253-5927
Neighborhood: Cambridge
is there anything else you think a nerdy vegan couple should investigate? <3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would go get pizza on the 29th if you guys want to meet up- I haven't had any pizza in too long, and Vegan Pizza Day is the perfect opportunity.

For non-food stuff, if you like baseball you ca do a Fenway tour if you like baseball. My mom and I did it last month and it was fun, it'll be kind of cold though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

oh also as you mention the Sam Adams tour, I've heard it's pretty good. You get some free samples then after you get a shuttle bus to this bar Doyle's in Jamaica Plain and get a free beer, it's a pretty good bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am 
ugh

You should tour Taza Chocolate in Somerville! http://www.tazachocolate.com/ContactUs/ ... ory_Store_

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:24 am 

ooooh! a chocolate factory tour. yes please!

(and i think i dislike most sports enough that mr. carrot wouldn't want to put me through the fenway tour, especially in the winter. :-p if it were the spring, and we were spending more than 1 day in boston, then maybe.) <3

i'll PM you my phone number, quarantined, in case we make it up to peace o'pie on saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The Sam Adams tour (few dollar donation recommended) is awesome. The MIT Museum (cheap, but not free if I remember correctly) is also great! And everyone I've taken to Old Ironsides (free!) has loved it...plus there shouldn't be much of a line and it is a pretty short tour. Beacon Hill is awesome, super cute with neat little shops.

If you are walking the freedom trail you'll be in my neighborhood! If you only have a day, I'm not sure that I would necessarily recommend it. Depends on the weather and how much walking you want to do, I guess.

I wish I could do pizza with everyone... I'm way too busy with work and school, and am trying to scrape together enough free hours to go snowboarding for half a day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I highly recommend brunch at Red Lentil! I cannot WAIT to go back. The smoothie I had was delicious and the tofu scramble was AWESOME.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:27 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Nooooo I will be out of town this weekend, but I really want to meet you!

Mount Auburn isn't really an option with this much snow. It's lovely, though; come back in the spring! Oh, and while looking at beer tours, I'd recommend Harpoon Brewery over Sam Adams (though being able to do both would be fun. And I think Harpoon charges $5? but they are much more generous at the tasting there than at Sam Adams).

For the record, I love walking around Beacon Hill, and it's not far from Faneuil Hall, another iconic Boston site. And if you two are into museums, the Isabella Stewart Gardiner museum is also iconic and awesome and has a cool backstory.

ALSO, if your brunch plans aren't set in stone, I'd recommend True Bistro over Red Lentil. I like the food a lot better, plus you'd be supporting an all-vegan place instead of just a vegetarian one!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 pm 

mmmmm. i'm getting excited! <3

i'll make sure to bring my snow pants and i'm a-gunna buy a pair of snow boots that don't leak. (oops) so the freedom trail is long? hmm. maybe we'll do a drive-by. hah.

i remember hearing something about an ice cream place? is that no-longer open? (wheeler's was it?) i went to a book signing by him, and what he was offering was more like ice milk. (which is good when you're in the mood for ice milk. it brought me back to my childhood with those ice milk bars coated in chocolate.) i'd be interested in trying other flavors. it's possible that he was out of his element when on the road, and didn't have everything he needed to make a good product.
http://www.icecreamproject.com/
oh, i see here that they're closed on sundays. eek! http://theveganscoop.com/store.html
do you know if i can find it at wholefoods or other small stores?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm 
Cranky

Wheeler's is no longer open.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

vegetalion wrote:
Mount Auburn isn't really an option with this much snow. It's lovely, though; come back in the spring!

Mount Auburn is one of my all-time favorite places; my partner and I had one of our first dates there (May 19, 2004). <3
vegetalion wrote:
For the record, I love walking around Beacon Hill, and it's not far from Faneuil Hall, another iconic Boston site. And if you two are into museums, the Isabella Stewart Gardiner museum is also iconic and awesome and has a cool backstory.

I second this suggestion; the Gardner is also very close to the MFA, which has just opened its massive new Art of the Americas wing. Then you can walk across the Fenway for delicious Thai food at Thaitation!
vegetalion wrote:
ALSO, if your brunch plans aren't set in stone, I'd recommend True Bistro over Red Lentil. I like the food a lot better, plus you'd be supporting an all-vegan place instead of just a vegetarian one!

This. The food is amazing, the people are really nice, and the setting is lovely; they also make a mean Bloody Mary. (Yes, it's true: I agree with vegetalion about everything!)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dr. Apricot wrote:

I was so hopeful that it was! Gah, bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm 

vegetalion wrote:
Nooooo I will be out of town this weekend, but I really want to meet you!

oh! i totally missed your comment. (if it weren't for desdemona quoting you all over the place)

we'll just have to meet up some other time. :-) we visit family in dartmouth a few times a year.

thanks for the suggestions everyone! i'll append my list with all your lovely comments. <3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:04 am 
ugh

ndpittman wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:

I was so hopeful that it was! Gah, bummer.

It has been replaced with a vegan-friendly Ethiopian cafe, though!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Desdemona wrote:
(Yes, it's true: I agree with vegetalion about everything!)

I support this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:33 am 

ok, it looks like we're going to be able to come into boston for pizza today. what time works for everyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

supercarrot wrote:
ok, it looks like we're going to be able to come into boston for pizza today. what time works for everyone?

oh crepe I just saw this- not sure I'm going to be able to make it, my plans are sort of up in the air right now and not sure I'd be able to make it over to allston. I'll watch and see if you guys come up with a time though!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm 

probably between 6 and 7?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:29 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

supercarrot wrote:
probably between 6 and 7?

I could make it by 7- do you mind if I bring my bf who's not vegan?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:59 pm 

no! why would i mind! :-) and 7 is fine. later is better for you?

we're going to be meeting our non-vegan friend too. (he's letting us couchsurf.)

BTW, boston's subway system is very visitor unfriendly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

no 7 is great! I am psyched for pizza.

yeah the T can be a little weird, I think everyone would agree. it has some little quirks that you won't find in other cities' subway systems.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next