| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do you stay fit and still eat like a mofo?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Please, share your secrets with me. Is it all about exercise?

Post subject: Re: How do you stay fit and still eat like a mofo?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't. Even when I was training for a half marathon I gained weight. For me, it's all about what I put in my mouth, and if I want to stay fit, it's never as much as I want. Boo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:14 pm 

Nooooo........not what I wanted to hear!

But thanks for the reality check.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

For me, unfortunately, it is all about exercise. Or ephedra, which has been discontinued :P. I can restrict calories all I want, but my fat is going nowhere unless I exercise it away.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I can't lose weight on just exercise alone. I get so hungry after working out, that I end up gaining back any calories I manage to burn. I think most of us have to moderate what we eat, at least a little. Unless you've got a super quick metabolism, then you probably wouldn't be asking if you did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

It's definitely a balance of both watching what I eat and exercising regularly. There are times when I eat more than usual and I gain weight, even if I maintain my exercise habits.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have to watch what I eat, even if I'm exercising. I eat to maintain my weight, I exercise for my health. I wish it was more magical, sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it's also a lot easier to eat less than it is to exercise. Not that I follow this at all, but in theory it sounds a lot easier to not eat a bagel than to run on the treadmill for an hour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Which is why I don't exercise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:12 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
it's also a lot easier to eat less than it is to exercise. Not that I follow this at all, but in theory it sounds a lot easier to not eat a bagel than to run on the treadmill for an hour.

That is very true, although I usually would rather eat the bagel/cake/ice cream followed by exercise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

I do both. It would be easier to just not eat so much, but I like eating. I also like working out a lot. I cannot "eat like a mofo" even though I exercise "like a mofo." It's just not in the cards for me, sadly.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Sorry, chubby cyclist here! If I don't ride, lift weights, and watch what I eat (which is hard because I eat. All. The. Time).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Meggs wrote:
I do both. It would be easier to just not eat so much, but I like eating. I also like working out a lot. I cannot "eat like a mofo" even though I exercise "like a mofo." It's just not in the cards for me, sadly.

I just wanna make it clear that I am really bad about exercising! I wasn't trying to say that I think skipping a bagel and exercising is the way to go. I hardly ever do it and I've been about the same weight for the last 10 years. I wish I liked working out. It would make my life so much better. I was just trying to make the point that calorie for calorie exercise seems a lot harder than dieting. basically, I don't think anyone can eat like a mofo and stay fit unless they are Michael Phelps, but he probably doesn't get to actually enjoy food because he has to pack so much in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

probably not a helpful answer but honestly my metabolism does all the work for me so I can eat like a mofo and not do a lot (but I do). It's actually a bit of a curse in some ways as I'm very light, but I don't deviate at all, so this must be my natural weight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 am 
WRETCHED

I agree with idji, it is easier to cut out 500 calories from your diet than to exercise to burn 500 calories. When I increase my exercise, I tend to get hungrier which makes me eat more which makes me gain weight. Only if I restrict what I eat can I maintain or lose weight. Although I'd say I'm a bit 'abnormal' due to PCOS and whatever else is going on with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 am 
Saggy Butt

its definitely a combination for me, but weightlifting helps (muscle burns more calories than fat) and NEAT is so so important (non exercise activity thermogenesis - be active!) my usual mo is to be super disciplined during the week and relax a little on the weekend. i dont drink but the weekend (friday and saturday) is usually when we will go out to eat, make big breakfasts, etc. its easy for me to stick to my "routine" diet and exercise during the week, and then i give myself a bit of wiggle room on the weekend.

i also think it depends on whether you are actively trying to lose weight or maintain (not equating either of these things with being "fit," just the thread has kind of gone in a weight/weightloss direction). if you're trying to lose weight then you can easily undo a deficit in a couple of days of crappy eating. if you're trying to maintain, probably not a big deal in the long run.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:01 am 

guy burgess wrote:
probably not a helpful answer but honestly my metabolism does all the work for me so I can eat like a mofo and not do a lot (but I do). It's actually a bit of a curse in some ways as I'm very light, but I don't deviate at all, so this must be my natural weight.

JEALOUS!

My metabolism sucks. I am trying to lose weight right now, and when I work out for 45 mins each day, plus eat a completely whole foods diet (I am even on a cleanse, eliminating gluten, alcohol, and sugar), I am lucky if I lose a whole pound that month!

I guess I just wanted some reassurance that once I get to my goal weight, I'll be able to eat chickpea cutlets and jelly donut cupcakes and cinnamon buns and chocolate peanut butter pie with reckless abandon, as long as I work out pretty hard, but I guess that's a fantasy. I've always been of the opinion that it's easier to restrict what I eat than to work out, but lately I've been OBSESSED with food, and I realized life is too short to deprive myself of vegan cupcakes, cookies, and savory treats!

I do like the idea of maintaining a good diet for the week and then relaxing on the weekends. That seems manageable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:25 am 
Naked Under Apron

This is obvious, I suppose, but I think if you want to eat a lot you need to focus on low-calorie but nutrient-dense foods. You could eat ten pounds of kale a day and not gain weight, and that is a LOT of kale. More than a person could actually stuff into themselves.

I try to remind myself of this, but sadly, whenever I decide I want to lose weight all I want to eat is brownies.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Amy wrote:
This is obvious, I suppose, but I think if you want to eat a lot you need to focus on low-calorie but nutrient-dense foods. You could eat ten pounds of kale a day and not gain weight, and that is a LOT of kale. More than a person could actually stuff into themselves.

I try to remind myself of this, but sadly, whenever I decide I want to lose weight all I want to eat is brownies.

that is a really good point. Also eating generally low-fat and whole grains will help because there will be less calories per bite of food or whatever you'd call it. You can still feel like you're stuffing yourself on tasty foods without it having as many calories as if there were a lot of fat added.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:30 am 

Quarantined wrote:
Amy wrote:

that is a really good point. Also eating generally low-fat and whole grains will help because there will be less calories per bite of food or whatever you'd call it. You can still feel like you're stuffing yourself on tasty foods without it having as many calories as if there were a lot of fat added.

I agree with all of that. I generally eat A LOT during the run of the day, but I eat mostly whole foods so it's not a huge amount of calories. And I never feel deprived. Obviously I indulge on cupcakes and cookies sometimes too :).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Now I am nearer 50 than 40 I find that playing football (the one you play mostly with your feet) five times a week and going to the gym almost every day just about compensates for my nefarious eating habits but I have also recently cut out processed sugar which may be a bit heretical for most PPK'ers but it's working for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
I dont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Adam Crisis wrote:
I dont

Nice.
I plan to try that when the football becomes impossible so I'm glad it's been properly tested.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:36 pm 

I don't exercise much, I do my best to watch what I eat and walk a few times a week if I can. My weight is pretty steady since I eat fairly well.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:33 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've been running (okay, jogging quickly) for about 5 years and have maintained the same weight no matter how much I run; I'll gain weight if I eat too much, but I can get back to my running weight fairly quickly. When I was biking to work every day (8 miles round trip, a total of 5 hours per week) I lost a ton of weight even though I was eating between 1800-2500 calories per day. But if I ran for that long (5 hours for me is about 30-35 miles per week), even though I would be burning more calories per se, I would NOT be able to eat that much and still maintain my weight because I've become more efficient at running than biking.

Cross-training usually helps with staying fit and eating a lot, so find multiple activities to do. You'll feel like you are exerting less energy but still become more efficient at metabolizing.*