| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forbidden Rice - what to do with it?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:55 pm 
Nooch of Earl

So I've had some Lotus Foods forbidden rice (about 2 c dry, maybe?) kicking around unopened in my cabinets for months now. It looked cool, I bought it, I haven't done squat with it.

I'd love suggestions for it - haven't cooked with it before, don't really know what it tastes or cooks up like. First, can I make it on the white rice cycle of my rice cooker (also have brown rice, sushi rice, porridge options)? I'm looking for something that will showcase its color and flavor a little bit, since I recall it being a tad expensive (for rice).

(apologies if this has been covered - a forum search didn't turn up much)

Post subject: Re: Forbidden Rice - what to do with it?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:58 pm 
WRETCHED

I'd probably use the brown rice option. It is pretty good with coconut milk. I've just cooked it up and used it with regular dishes but a thai/coconutty curry would be good too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

make this! it looks delicious. just use the avocado instead of egg. it's a ppker's blog/recipe:
http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2008/01/24 ... gratitude/

i wish i could find forbidden rice! let us know how it is!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

linanil wrote:
I'd probably use the brown rice option. It is pretty good with coconut milk. I've just cooked it up and used it with regular dishes but a thai/coconutty curry would be good too.

this, exactly, if forbidden rice is what i think it is. it's black rice, right? i liked how sticky it was. mmmm! goes lovely with thai food. and i did use the brown rice option on my cooker and it was perfect.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:12 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

It's a just like brown rice. I like it in rice pudding because the rice itself stays dark but the puddingy part is pinkish. It really highlights the colors.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

bodhi wrote:
make this! it looks delicious. just use the avocado instead of egg. it's a ppker's blog/recipe:
http://inmybox.wordpress.com/2008/01/24 ... gratitude/

i wish i could find forbidden rice! let us know how it is!

This is awesome! As soon as I saw the thread title I was going to share this recipe from my blog, but you beat me to it, Bodhi! The egginess is from pre-vegan days but now I make it with avocado all the time. It is sooo delicious.

allularpunk wrote:
linanil wrote:

this, exactly, if forbidden rice is what i think it is. it's black rice, right? i liked how sticky it was. mmmm! goes lovely with thai food. and i did use the brown rice option on my cooker and it was perfect.

Use the brown rice option on your rice cooker. Black forbidden rice is different from the sticky Thai black rice used in desserts. This rice cooks up firm and toothy with each grain separate. The flavor is great but a bit earthy/strong on its own without a sauce or topping.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:58 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks all!! I'm going to try that rice and greens bowl as soon as I can pick up the needed things from the store; I'll be sure to report back.