| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 111  Next
 Post subject: Re: the lactation station: share your breast feedin' stuff h
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i'm small chested, so i do both, actually i rock the flannel shirt with a tank under quite a bit and i pop the boob over inside and just unbutton the middle two buttons- keeps me warm and protects my belly button from the ravaging pointer finger. However, in the first couple months, it was summer, and i swear i lived in a nursing tank with both boobs hanging out, surrounded by pillows. It seemed so complicated then.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Can I tell you something weird? My boobs suddenly shrank like a month ago. I lost a little bit of weight... not much... but I guess it was ALL from the boobs. Because I went from being a 40F and filling my cups to the point of spilling to being a casual 38E. I think I could get these bad boys back into my old 38Ds, but that might be a cup runneth over situation.

The Emperor's not nursing any less and I still seem to be shooting out huge quantities of milk, so it's really sort of a mystery. I wonder if this means that when I finish nursing (someday, oh someday) my boobs will shrink down to like, normal person size. Could I be a C cup someday?!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I hear you, c&s. I hope mine shrink. Forget sleeping on my stomach; I can't even sleep on my side because the bottom boob gets smashed underneath me. Waaaay too much of a good thing.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

when i stopped nursing my completely my boobs totally shrunk back down. they were saggier, but definitely smaller. i noticed a lot of tops i used to like fitting me well again. it was rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I heard this story on npr this morning about breastmilk donation:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/24/133110199/moms-who-cant-nurse-find-milk-donors-online

There are a few milk banks around the US where the milk is disease-tested and pasteurized, but they are so expensive--the story said $3.50 per ounce! This talks about women organizing a use-at-your-own-risk network through facebook.

I have way too much milk, and I have to pump sometimes because it's so painful. I've thought about donating, but the official banks won't have me because I've spent more than 3 consecutive months in the UK (mad cow disease, I think? Doesn't matter that I didn't consume any cow while I was there). How do you feel about feeding your kids donated breastmilk? Is it creepy? Worth the risk? A better alternative than formula?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 am 
Married to the wolfman

I meant to pump and donate milk when the Emperor was younger, but it was too overwhelming for me. But a friend of mine has done both donation through a milk bank and much more informal "I hear you need some breastmilk, here you go" milk sharing.

I think it's a really awesome thing to give your breastmilk to someone who needs it, and I would for sure feed my kid someone else's milk if he needed it and it was available. Re: advantages, off the top of my head, babies who can't tolerate cow milk or soy in formula might not have digestive woes from donated milk.

Availability is such a big issue though. How can _anyone_ afford milk from a milk bank? Not that formula's cheap either, but sheesh. Sheesh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

If they pasteurize the milk doesn't it kill off some of the good stuff? I know there's a friend on facebook that is really into raw cows milk because of that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yes, some people worry about that, but the official milk banks have to pasteurize so they don't get sued if somebody's baby gets sick.

I don't think I would feel safe accepting milk from someone I didn't know very well, but if my kid couldn't digest formula I guess I'd do whatever it took to feed him. My husband is very against my donating because he's afraid of the liability (he's a lawyer and very risk-averse). I see his point, but that story got me thinking.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:20 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just did some quick googling out of curiosity, and found this article which says one study has shown that Pretoria Pasteurisation, which you can do at home, destroys HIV which is the biggest risk. I believe it also destroys other harmful stuff, and at this link there is a chart which shows the levels of good stuff in the pasturized milk. I'm not too clear on that chart though, since it seems some of the nutrients are higher in pastuerized milk than unheated, which doesn't seem right. I want to google further but I have to get to doing some actual work at work today, haha.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh, and as for how I feel about it (I'm still not working ha), I think it is a good idea for you to donate if you have extra. Couldn't the liability issue be solved with a signed contract?

Personally though, I don't think formula is that bad. I mean, I was raised on it and I'm fine - probably many of us here were. I'm sure breastmilk is better, but, I haven't seen anything convincing about why formula is bad. Right now Kai is getting about 8 oz a day since I can only pump 5 oz. (he gets my pumped milk from the day before + the formula when I'm at work). I guess I feel better giving him that than milk from a stranger. The biggest issue is that we have to give him the cow's milk based hypoallrgenic stuff, which bothered me at first, but I've since made my peace with him being 90% vegan, 10% vegetarian.

However, if there was some reason why I couldn't have given him any breastmilk at all, I may have felt differently. And I still think it is a good thing that women should have the option if they want it. I don't understand why the official banks make it so expensive. That seems so wrong!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:00 am 
And you never will.

I would give poopiebaby milk from someone I know, without question. In fact, if I knew someone locally who had surplus and was willing to give some to me, I would take it in a hot minute to give myself time away from poopiebaby, since I can't pump and he won't take formula.

My sister and her old neighbor were (and still are!) very good friends, and when they both bad babies around the same time, they babysat for each other and nursed each others' babies. It worked out well for them and while some people might think that is weird, I thought about it and I would actually have no problem letting my baby nurse straight from someone I know and trust.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Well, as I said, I can't donate to the milk banks because of living in the UK (I can't donate blood for the same reason), so I'd have to coordinate with someone outside official channels. There don't seem to be many people looking for milk in my area, but I'm just going to keep pumping and if I don't need my surplus I'll donate if the opportunity arises. I'm staying home with Walter, so barring some medical separation, I don't foresee needing to bottle feed him. Also, he is only 9 weeks, and maybe my supply will adjust to his needs with time.

I looked into the procedure and cost for shipping milk, and it involves dry ice, a lot of packaging, and overnight shipping, so it's not cost effective unless you're shipping a lot of milk (like, gallons). Here is an organization that coordinates breastmilk donation through facebook: http://www.eatsonfeets.org/ Poopie, I'll bet you could find someone in your area who could help (especially since you're not looking for enough milk to feed poopiebaby full-time, just enough to give you a break now and then).

aubade wrote:
Personally though, I don't think formula is that bad. I mean, I was raised on it and I'm fine - probably many of us here were.

Absolutely! I was breastfed for a month and then switched to formula, and I think I'm pretty smart :) And Kai is still getting quite a lot of breast milk, with all the benefits for his immune system; you are doing such a great job of feeding him and working full-time! You go, Super Mama.

poopiebitch wrote:
My sister and her old neighbor were (and still are!) very good friends, and when they both bad babies around the same time, they babysat for each other and nursed each others' babies.

That is so cool!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I think it would be uncomfortable at first, but if there were a reason I needed to nurse someone else's kid, or let mine nurse at another woman's breast(as long as I knew she wasn't on any drugs that pass into milk) I would get over that discomfort in a hurry. I think the difference between formula and pasteurized breastmilk is probably not that great, though. The reason I knew I wanted to try breastfeeding only was the lead-in-formula recalls from a few years back, and I'd feel just as much concern with donated milk about potential contaminants.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm dealing with Reynaud's in my breasts over here. Terrible stabbing and stinging pains every time I get the slightest bit chilly (even when walking from one room of the house to another from the slight temp changes). I'm guessing it was caused by Greta's overly aggressive nursing methods since I got pregnant and my milk became less plentiful.

If anyone has dealt with it and has suggestions of things that help, I am up for trying anything. We are in the process of night weaning and she barely asks to nurse anymore during the day, so I'm hoping that things will heal on their own in the next few weeks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

pungalina, i got reynauds when i had a yeast infection, it healed, eventually and the blanching and stabbing pain passed. for me, though it happened most intensely when my nipples were bare, and when he came off it was worst. i found having a clean cloth to put on and dry off my nipple helped. It sounds like yours is acting up when you are clothed? perhaps wearing more layers on top might help? it sounds worse, but i had it when my son was a few months old, and everything then is a blur.

oh, and as for the milk sharing/milk bank- i would give milk, my sister gave her triplets milk her friends saved for her while she was trying to build up her supply. In kyrgyzstan, where i was a peace corps volunteer, a friend of ours was unable to nurse, and she and her daughter brought a woman and her baby (who really needed financial help- it was completely a win win) to live with them for over a year to basically be a wet nurse. This is what people have been doing since the dawn of time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I had vasospasms for about a month and a half at one point. It was brought on by the Emperor biting during nursing. (Something he fortunately only does when teething.) For me, resting (ha ha) as much as I could and getting him to a place where he wasn't biting resolved it for me. The month and a half sucked, but it hasn't come back, so I'm happy.

A friend of mine had problems with vasospasms/Reynaud's for longer and aside from just trying to never get cold, I think she's had success taking a supplement of some sort... I want to say magnesium? Maybe magnesium-calcium?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:11 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Omg so yesterday for some odd reason I pumped more than ever before - 7 whole ounces!!

Then, I proceeded to forget the cooler in my office overnight.

The only person who I could think of that might still be there to put it in the fridge was the director of IT (a man).

Only after I called and left a totally embarrassing message on his machine, did I think to look at the milk storage guide magnet that came with my pump. The good news is, it said it can last 24 hours in the cooler...but now what am I going to say next time I see the IT guy?!?

DOH!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:13 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This is pretty much exactly how I nurse top-down: http://theleakyboob.com/2011/01/i-breas ... ody-image/
I just can't get the hang of nursing bottom-up. (I didn't even realise it was an option until I'd been breastfeeding for months.) My top slides down and pushes the nipple out of my baby's mouth, I feel all hunchy, blah blah blah. I've seen pics of some amazingly non-hunchy and discreet bottom-up nursing, though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i could never find a nursing bra cut low enough to accommodate that kind of neckline, and i just don't have the boobs/arms/body for spaghetti strapped nursing tank action.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:56 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I guess it just depends on boob size and shape. I could never wear that kind of tank; it would be obscene. It's winter, so I'm always wearing a zip-up hoodie; when I pull up my teeshirt to nurse, I can wrap the sides of the sweatshirt around my tummy for warmth.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
i could never find a nursing bra cut low enough to accommodate that kind of neckline, and i just don't have the boobs/arms/body for spaghetti strapped nursing tank action.

I usually wear a wide-necked jersey knit top over my tank tops -- I don't use nursing bras (I have had lots of trouble finding bras that work with my boobs in this country), but I have some nursing tanks and I like wearing tank tops with shelf bras built in and I'll double up and wear another shelf-bra or something similar underneath for support. (I had a friend who had huge boobs and before her breast reduction, she would wear 3 sports bras at once when she went jogging.)

mittenmacher wrote:
I could never wear that kind of tank; it would be obscene.

Hahahahaha. Maybe not obscene as much as really...erm...noticeable?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm 
And you never will.

What do you guys think about taking cold meds while nursing? I typically avoid the stuff and just let my body do its thing, but today is my birthday and tomorrow is my party, and I really don't want to feel like ten shades of shiitake on my birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

poopie, you should check the labels on anything you want to take, but generally, most cold meds are compatible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:09 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

also, feel better soon, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

poopie, you should check the labels on anything you want to take, but generally, most cold meds are compatible.

Reply to topic  [ 2768 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 111  Next