| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Happy Herbivore Cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:03 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just got the Happy Herbivore cookbook and even though i haven't made anything in it yet there are a ton of recipes and pictures. I did make the black bean brownies from her blog which i thought were surprisingly good. Has any one made anything in the book yet?

Post subject: Re: Happy Herbivore Cookbook
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I ordered the book from Amazon the other day. I haven't gotten it yet, but the pages I've been able to look at online make it look like a really nice book, and just looking at the table of contents there's a lot I want to make.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh wow the recpies on the blog look good, I could do with another low-fat cookbook.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm probably going to go buy this today. I'm going to use these recipes in my diet plan, with the AFR recipes. Personally, I'm not really into the oil-free thing but everything she always makes looks great so I'll try it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

I got my copy in the mail yesterday and so today i decided to make the whole wheat pancakes which were simple but good and then i made the hawaiian chickpeas for dinner today which was tasty and cheap, i liked the spicy and sweet combo. I think the book is pretty good and i look forward to trying a lot more stuff from it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:37 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was a tester for this book and I can safely say that you all won't be disappointed. Lindsay always finds ways to make creative substitutions and use common ingredients in unique ways. The results are fast and delicious. Seriously, get this book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:48 pm 

I ordered mine today, it's not available in-store in my state for some reason.

Nick, Maybe you can answer this. I was looking in the book through Amazon and The calorie count for things like the french toast seem unbelievably low. Does it not take into account the bread, and only counts the batter thing? I really hope she doesn't use some kind of weirdly low calorie bread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm 

Niev wrote:
I ordered mine today, it's not available in-store in my state for some reason.

Nick, Maybe you can answer this. I was looking in the book through Amazon and The calorie count for things like the french toast seem unbelievably low. Does it not take into account the bread, and only counts the batter thing? I really hope she doesn't use some kind of weirdly low calorie bread.

A few of the recipes show the nutrition facts without the bread. only items like the french toast where an individual piece would be easily calculated by the individual. This was due to such a large variability of calories between breads.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 pm 

got it. my daughter gobbled down the chorizo quinoa but it tasted off to me, but I have a head cold so everything is weird. the cornbread is good and light. We had mexican cabbage lastnight which was a hit, pretty simple to make.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:01 pm 

Aliks wrote:
got it. my daughter gobbled down the chorizo quinoa but it tasted off to me, but I have a head cold so everything is weird. the cornbread is good and light. We had mexican cabbage lastnight which was a hit, pretty simple to make.

The cornbread is one of my favorites. I make that quite a bit and switch it up some. For example, throw a handful of raspberries in it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm kind of dissapointed that so many of her recipes use fake beef crumbles. I immediatly skip over any recipe using them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:40 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was testing for her for a while but I wasn't impressed by 90% of the recipes. Then I got sick and had to back out anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:37 pm 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

maygles wrote:
I was testing for her for a while but I wasn't impressed by 90% of the recipes. Then I got sick and had to back out anyway.

Ah that sucks. I was tempted to get this but it looks like it's a mixed bag review wise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I flipped through it. I dunno, it looks liked a bunch of recipes from other vegan cookbook authors changed just slightly so that the fat is removed. That happens way too often these days!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:50 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
I flipped through it. I dunno, it looks liked a bunch of recipes from other vegan cookbook authors changed just slightly so that the fat is removed. That happens way too often these days!

I thought exactly that when I looked at the search inside. I did order it, so I'll do a full review when I get it. I'm no fan of fat free for the sake of it though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

vijita wrote:

I believe in this case it is done deliberately and I would never support her.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

celyn wrote:
vijita wrote:

I believe in this case it is done deliberately and I would never support her.

That is awful! At least she should have given credit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Efcliz wrote:
vijita wrote:

I thought exactly that when I looked at the search inside. I did order it, so I'll do a full review when I get it. I'm no fan of fat free for the sake of it though.

I thought the exact same thing!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

jojo wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
vijita wrote:

I thought the exact same thing!

I would like to know which recipes you think may have been stolen from other books. I own like 20 cookbooks that are specifically vegan and i havent seen anything that looks that way. If its true that certain recipes were taken without giving due credit then yes that would be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm 

The omelet comes to mind. It's baked, rather than fried (which might well be borrowed from the Fat-Free Vegan blog), but the ingredients are almost identical to Isa's in Vegan Brunch, which was quite the innovative vegan recipe. I mean, I just wish she'd give credit, like Isa does to Julie for the VB sausages, rather than attempting to build this empire based on borrowed ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:50 pm 

Man. Now I'm all worried because I already ordered it. I hope it isn't going to be a complete waste of money, even if it isn't I'll feel bad if it does turn out that she just rehashed the recipes of others.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:55 pm 

I'm not trying to be mean...it's inevitable as vegan cookbooks explode in popularity that there is going to be some repetition. Don't take my word for it. I don't have a copy and I've never tried any of her recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:28 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

vijita wrote:
The omelet comes to mind. It's baked, rather than fried (which might well be borrowed from the Fat-Free Vegan blog), but the ingredients are almost identical to Isa's in Vegan Brunch, which was quite the innovative vegan recipe. I mean, I just wish she'd give credit, like Isa does to Julie for the VB sausages, rather than attempting to build this empire based on borrowed ideas.

I just looked at both recipes and they are similar with the exception that Happy Herbivore's uses powdered garlic not fresh, smaller quantity of chickpea flour, and no black salt. She admits that its similar to other vegan omelet recipes except that these are baked which even Susan from fat free vegan did it on the stove. I totally get that your not trying to be mean and your just stating your opinion which i think that when your buying things especially cookbooks its good to get varied opinions. I think that the look inside option on Amazon is a good tool and usually when i buy cookbook whose authors have blog i like to try out some of the free recipes that they have on their website to see if its even worth it to buy. I personally kno that the things that i've tried have been really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:57 pm 

Yeah, there have been a number of vegan cookbooks books released recently that seem to lean on their predecessors for content, which I know makes sense in that cooking techniques/tricks basically become public domain. I'm just starting to feel a bit ripped off when I shell out for a cookbook that basically teaches me how to modify all the recipes in my cookbook collection, since I already do that myself, without a book deal. That's why I'm really loving the books that specialize in veganized foods from different cultures (such as Viva Vegan) rather than just reinventing the silken tofu omelet.

To each their own, of course! If I wanted to eat a non-fat diet, I'm sure that the HH cookbook would be much more appealing to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:47 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

See, to be totally fair, Joni had a tofu omelet on her blog ages even before Vegan Brunch came out. And I dare say someone else had one before she did too. I'm certainly not saying Isa copied it, just that like Vijita says there's not too many really new ideas with the same set of ingredients. I'll be very interested to look at the book though.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next