| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next
 Post subject: Re: Baby & Kid Updates Thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:39 am 
Married to the wolfman

sunshower wrote:
zelda has her first tooth!

Congrats!

The Emperor has cut his last baby molar and his first canine in the past week. The other three canines are all bulging and I hope they come through soon for everyone's sake.

Mitten, I think it's awesome that you are taking advantage of opportunities to get a break from Walter! It's definitely not heartless. When I was towards the worst part of my PPD, I was lamenting all the things I felt like the Emperor deserved to have at a support group, and someone told me something that really stuck with me: your kid deserves to have a parent who is healthy and happy and has her needs met too. Part of that is carving out some slice of time for yourself, no matter how small it is.

Also, we followed a similar growth curve, heh. The Emperor was on the pound a week plan for the first six weeks.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

coldandsleepy wrote:
The Emperor was on the pound a week plan for the first six weeks.

Yes, this is Walt. 5 weeks old and 12 pounds, up from 7 at birth. He is working on a third chin. My mother thinks I'm feeding him too much. (Am I supposed to listen to him screaming instead?!) I think often of this SNL skit:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/187727/saturday-night-live-baby-spanx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

My kid is a hulk: as of today, he can roll over from his tummy to his back. He is very excited.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:11 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mittenmacher wrote:
My kid is a hulk: as of today, he can roll over from his tummy to his back. He is very excited.

Wow! Go Walt!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:55 am 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

Not my kid, but the girl I'm an aupair for is 10 and starting to get a little boy-crazy. She and her friends practice kissing on her cabinet and tell me alllll abouttt the cuuuuute booooyyy at schooool. It is adorable and hilarious to watch. I completely forgot about this stage of life!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Everything wrote:
Not my kid, but the girl I'm an aupair for is 10 and starting to get a little boy-crazy. She and her friends practice kissing on her cabinet and tell me alllll abouttt the cuuuuute booooyyy at schooool. It is adorable and hilarious to watch. I completely forgot about this stage of life!

That is hilarious;! When I was pre-teen, my dance teacher told us when she was our age, she used to practise kissing on her hand, like between her thumb and forefinger. I thought that was genius!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:15 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Inez has (her dad's) giant feet. Like, I'm going to have to cut the toes out of her footie sleepers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

coldandsleepy wrote:
So the Emperor loves music and loves to dance and we play him basically everything we like. We are people of fairly eclectic music tastes, so he's heard a lot of stuff at this point.

Out of all of it, he has become insanely attached to the Petshop Boys. We have a DVD of a live Petshop Boys show and it is basically his favorite thing on earth.

I can only listen to the Petshop Boys for so many hours a day, so I've been experimenting with various songs on YouTube, trying to narrow down what he likes exactly... and it more or less comes down to dance music. The stupider, the better. Anything with a big unsubtle beat and he's clapping, dancing like crazy, signing MORE and PLEASE over and over.

It's kind of hilarious to watch, and makes up for the fact that I don't really care for a lot of dance music myself.

I just saw this. Too cute! I hope Kai likes dance music because its my favorite!

If you'd like, check out my youtube channel - I have tons of dance music favorited! Maybe you'll find some stuff both of you like:
http://www.youtube.com/user/aubade1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:41 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Aubade wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
So the Emperor loves music and loves to dance and we play him basically everything we like. We are people of fairly eclectic music tastes, so he's heard a lot of stuff at this point.

Out of all of it, he has become insanely attached to the Petshop Boys. We have a DVD of a live Petshop Boys show and it is basically his favorite thing on earth.

I can only listen to the Petshop Boys for so many hours a day, so I've been experimenting with various songs on YouTube, trying to narrow down what he likes exactly... and it more or less comes down to dance music. The stupider, the better. Anything with a big unsubtle beat and he's clapping, dancing like crazy, signing MORE and PLEASE over and over.

It's kind of hilarious to watch, and makes up for the fact that I don't really care for a lot of dance music myself.

I just saw this. Too cute! I hope Kai likes dance music because its my favorite!

If you'd like, check out my youtube channel - I have tons of dance music favorited! Maybe you'll find some stuff both of you like:
http://www.youtube.com/user/aubade1

haha Dahlia is obsessed with dancing and music too. It is so freakin cute (and lucky too, because Papa likes the music LOUD). If she hears anything with a heavy bassline, she drops whatever she is doing and just gets down...it happens at home with commercials on TV, or in the park if a car with a boomin' system drives by, anywhere. When we listen to grind stuff she likes to sit in a chair and kick her legs like crazy to the blast beats.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Too funny! So far Walt really likes to boogie, too. His dad loves old-timey country music; they dance together and sing about Mama and trains and lost love and drankin'. We sing this Bob Wills song to him all the time because he is so fat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJON2YxoEU&feature=fvw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That's adorable Audrey!

I can't wait until this summer to take Kai to the free dance parties they have on the boardwalk at Coney Island. It is outside, so we can stay far enough away that it won't be too loud, and I'm going to get him ear protection too. I can't wait to dance around with him!! Luckily I have a few other friends who I used to go dancing with that have babies now too, so we'll have the house music baby massif there haha.

Also- I just asked my boss if I can work 4 days instead of 5. He said he doesn't mind, he just has to check with HR. GOD I HOPE HR SAYS IT IS OK!!!!! Here's hoping!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:59 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mittenmacher wrote:
Too funny! So far Walt really likes to boogie, too. His dad loves old-timey country music; they dance together and sing about Mama and trains and lost love and drankin'. We sing this Bob Wills song to him all the time because he is so fat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJON2YxoEU&feature=fvw

That's funny, it reminds me of when I babysat my twin nieces, who were 3 at the time, and 5 year old nephew. My brother is really into country music and they used to sing "achy breaky heart" to me all the time, with a little fake twang and all. Now they're all grown up - I have to remind them next time I see them. In front of their boyfriend & fiance. Ha!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:20 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Aubade, fingers crossed for you!! that would be really great.
meanwhile, we are trying to figure out what type of job my partner can apply for (his unemployment finally ran out and things are getting kind of tight) that will work around my work hours (noon-7pm). Meh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Pinko wrote:
Inez has (her dad's) giant feet. Like, I'm going to have to cut the toes out of her footie sleepers.

The first thing I saw when the nurses bought Reno over to get weighed and what not were her feet and they were exact replica's of her Dad's enormous feet. When my MIL saw Reno's feet for the first time she actually apologized to my Mom about it! Reno isn't even 4 yet and she's already rockin' a size 13 shoe. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Thanks audrey! Good luck to your partner on his job search!

I just heard back and they said it is ok!!! WUHOO! It is only one day more to be with him, but I think it will make a big difference. I'm so happy!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

congrats, aubade! an extra day with your baby is totally awesome, and i'm sure it will make a big difference!

also, this thread needs more pictures. how about some pics of inez's adorably large feet or more walter pudging out or some video of all these dancing babies!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Aubade, that is awesome! I'm so happy for you.

Walter had his 2 month check-up yesterday, and he is in the 99th percentile for weight, 23rd percentile for height. The doctor wasn't concerned and said he'll get slimmer once he's crawling, but geez. What a chub. His eating seems to be slowing down, so hopefully the weight gain will, too. He is 9 weeks old and is up 8 pounds from his birth weight. On the one hand, I can stick it to my relatives who said he'd starve to death on vegan breastmilk, but on the other hand, it makes me cry to think of all the money wasted on newborn and 3-6 month clothes he wore once or not at all. He got several expensive little outfits for Christmas, and I've had to stuff him into them, take a picture for posterity, and then pack the outfit away in the closet. I almost need to have a second kid just so I can get some use out of these baby clothes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:48 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Dash is springing a tooth. He'll be 4 months old on the 30th. That's slow for my family, where all the babies got their first teeth at 3 months, but I am not excited about it because he's a breast muncher.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 pm 
Married to the wolfman

mittenmacher wrote:
on the other hand, it makes me cry to think of all the money wasted on newborn and 3-6 month clothes he wore once or not at all. He got several expensive little outfits for Christmas, and I've had to stuff him into them, take a picture for posterity, and then pack the outfit away in the closet. I almost need to have a second kid just so I can get some use out of these baby clothes.

Ha ha ha, tell me about it. The Emperor hit 18 month sized clothing at 7 or 8 months old. We luckily didn't buy much of his smaller clothing (most of it was given to us) but still, what a waste. On the other hand, he STILL wears 18 month clothing now and isn't showing any signs of sizing up.

He's still learning a new word almost every day. Yesterday he learned "flower" and "pee pee". He's a freaking word monster. But he really only talks when it's just me or my husband with him. As soon as new people enter the picture, he's silent. Is this where shyness starts? Or is it my bad influence? I talk about 300% more when we're alone together. I don't know.

He's not physically shy-- he'll walk right up to other kids and grown ups and mooch snack off of other moms at the park and climb into people's laps and stuff. So maybe the problem is me.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:40 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Wow, teeth at 3 months? That is early! I hope Dash makes it through with as little discomfort as possible.

c&s, it must be fascinating to watch The Emperor learn language like that! I don't blame him for clamming up around strangers, I do the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think Inez might be getting on board the giant vegan baby train. We had her two week appointment today and she's gained a pound and a half in ten days. And grown an inch. I can't believe she'll be two months old the next time we go for a check-up.

I can't wait for words! That is so neat.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Way to go Inez! Pinko, you won't believe how fast the first 2 months go by.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:02 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

coldandsleepy wrote:
He's still learning a new word almost every day. Yesterday he learned "flower" and "pee pee". He's a freaking word monster. But he really only talks when it's just me or my husband with him. As soon as new people enter the picture, he's silent. Is this where shyness starts? Or is it my bad influence? I talk about 300% more when we're alone together. I don't know.

He's not physically shy-- he'll walk right up to other kids and grown ups and mooch snack off of other moms at the park and climb into people's laps and stuff. So maybe the problem is me.

Dante did this as well. Anytime he hit a new milestone he would spend a few months only doing it around us. The worst was walking. He would revert to crawling if anyone else was around and then we'd get comments like "He's still not walking?" I think everyone thought we were making it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

coldandsleepy wrote:
mittenmacher wrote:
on the other hand, it makes me cry to think of all the money wasted on newborn and 3-6 month clothes he wore once or not at all. He got several expensive little outfits for Christmas, and I've had to stuff him into them, take a picture for posterity, and then pack the outfit away in the closet. I almost need to have a second kid just so I can get some use out of these baby clothes.

Ha ha ha, tell me about it. The Emperor hit 18 month sized clothing at 7 or 8 months old. We luckily didn't buy much of his smaller clothing (most of it was given to us) but still, what a waste. On the other hand, he STILL wears 18 month clothing now and isn't showing any signs of sizing up.

Mittens, the amount of money spent on teeny weeny baby clothes is just a shame, isn't it? I would get stuck on certain pieces of clothing and then one day I'd root around to check the other things in Zora's drawers and lo and behold they are too small! This as led me to go about once a month to thrift stores. The only new clothes Zora has now are gifts.

Coldandsleepy, Zora is sounds like the same size-wise as the Emperor (I think cloth diapers are partially to blame too). She's wearing 18 month-old sized suits and she's not quite 7 months.

Zora is also super quiet around new people. She sees her biodad (I call him this not because I have a new dad picked out for her yet, but it'll eventually be the case...) every two weeks or so and she's really toned down- hardly any sounds, she just stares. Same thing when we go out in public, with the exception of the produce section at the grocery store.

Oh! We have tooth number one halfway in! I've been bitten about five times and dear god does it hurt. Zora thinks it's hilarious, of course. And I have a hard time keeping a straight face after she grins for my forgiveness.

In other news, we've been enjoying our winter out here- I've been making snow shoe trails in the back field the last couple of days, with Zora in the backpack. There are a bunch of willows at the edge of the property where moose have been nibbling away.

And. As much as I'd love to have a supportive partner to enjoy the daily adventure of parenthood, my folks are still very supportive and this single mama deal rocks! Especially the cosleeping part. :)

Now if I can just convince my ex to be consistent about child support and visitation. I shall find out soon when we go through mediation. Cross your fingers for me!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

For the first 8 weeks of his life Walter screamed and cried every time I changed his diaper, and it was stressful. But recently he seems to have figured out that diaper change=clean diaper=comfortable, because he's stopped crying and now smiles and coos the whole time. It's lovely, and makes my day much happier. Baby smiles at regular intervals are so much better than crying.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 102  Next