| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do YOU guys think??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:30 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've been told I'm NOT a real vegan (not here!) that I'm making a mockery of the word by calling myself vegan.

Why?

I have rescue hens, ex bats. They are living their retirement happily free range and ...they lay eggs.
Now I'm frugal as well as vegan and yup we eat them (the eggs that is).

I can't stop them laying eggs and I don't exploit them ,harm them, stop them behaving naturally to make them lay. I don't lay on lights in the winter, as hybreds they don't go broody, they lay their eggs and its the same to them as taking a dump :P I just look after them.

The way I see it is that is not different from me having say a rescue sheep and shearing his wool. He'd HAVE to be sheared and I'd HAVE to dispose of the wool after.

We don't ever EVER buy eggs or eat products with eggs in, come winter when the old girls don't lay we don't eat egg, that simple.

So.... Am I OK, or should I get my coat?

Oh, and when the happy day comes that there are no rescue hens to rehome I'll do without!

Post subject: Re: What do YOU guys think??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I think it's great that you rescue hens and I thank you for doing so! You seems like a really compassionate vegetarian, to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:39 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Burned!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

mel c wrote:
I think it's great that you rescue hens and I thank you for doing so! You seems like a really compassionate vegetarian, to me.

Yes. A vegan is someone who abstains from all animal products as much as humanly possible. Eggs are kind of a biggie. There's no shame in calling yourself a vegetarian.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

This has come up many times on the ppk, and this is usually the consensus:

1. You are a very compassionate vegetarian, as mel c says, but not vegan, because vegans don't knowingly eat animal products, however ethically they are sourced.

2. You can feed the eggs back to the chicken. They like it and it's good for them, so everyone wins!

3. The reason it's not that cool to call yourself vegan is because it confuses people that aren't vegan, and muddies the term. Like, I might get fed eggs at someone's house because their other vegan friend eats eggs so why wouldn't I.

But don't get your coat! We love you regardless of your rescue chicken egg status.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:44 pm 
WRETCHED

We had this subject come up on the old forum before and yeah since vegan means not eating animal products including eggs, even if the source is ethical, that isn't vegan. Others in similar instances give eggs away to those who do eat eggs or accept eating them isn't vegan.

Grandfathered In

Non-vegan ≠ Bad person.

The reason you're not a vegan is because you eat eggs, not because you are harming animals.

You are not harming animals. You are helping animals.

You may stay.

Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So, do you have to eat the eggs? I really don't know anything about hens but I am assuming that if you don't have a rooster then it's not like the eggs would even develop into chickens, right? In that case what is wrong with just not eating them or donating them to a food bank or something.

I think it's awesome that you rescued some animals that needed a home! And this is a good example of why "labels" can suck, because yeah, I think technically you are not a vegan if you are eating eggs...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

There just might, maybe, possibly, extremely rarely, once in a blue moon be a situation where eating eggs could be considered ethical; but it still wouldn't be vegan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:56 pm 

Labels suck :P
I find I say vegan as otherwise people assume that I eat dairy and eggs (and as I said , other eggs are a nono!) so I kind of find myself in this no mans land of more than veggie less than vegan :P

Can't win ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm 

hopshackgirl wrote:
So, do you have to eat the eggs? I really don't know anything about hens but I am assuming that if you don't have a rooster then it's not like the eggs would even develop into chickens, right? In that case what is wrong with just not eating them or donating them to a food bank or something.

I think it's awesome that you rescued some animals that needed a home! And this is a good example of why "labels" can suck, because yeah, I think technically you are not a vegan if you are eating eggs...

This is true, no cockeral so no fertalised eggs, they are just hen periods :P
My dogs get lots of the eggs as well, but I'm happy to be the ethical veggie here ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

veganstephen wrote:
Burned!

I can't tell if this was directed at me or not, but for clarity, my comment was meant in no way to be snarky, just honest and straightforward. The PPK loves all awesome people, vegan or not!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:
I find I say vegan as otherwise people assume that I eat dairy and eggs (and as I said , other eggs are a nono!) so I kind of find myself in this no mans land of more than veggie less than vegan :P

Can't win ;)

I think "strict vegetarian" would work in this case, even if you want to say "I eat a mostly vegan diet" I don't think its too bad at all!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Shy Mox wrote:

Can't win ;)

I think "strict vegetarian" would work in this case, even if you want to say "I eat a mostly vegan diet" I don't think its too bad at all!

AFAIK strict vegetarians avoid eggs and dairy so I don't think that would work. OP you are an ovo vegetarian*.

*Link

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 pm 

mel c wrote:
veganstephen wrote:
Burned!

I can't tell if this was directed at me or not, but for clarity, my comment was meant in no way to be snarky, just honest and stra
ightforward. The PPK loves all awesome people, vegan or not!

Thats cool, I never thought that :P Asked for an opinion didn't I? And seriously, I've been chased off vegan forums with burning torches for being what I am ;) This place is pretty awsome so far :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 pm 

fezza wrote:
Shy Mox wrote:

Can't win ;)

AFAIK strict vegetarians avoid eggs and dairy so I don't think that would work. OP you are an ovo vegetarian*.

*Link

I get that technically I am an ovo veggie BUT that then implies that I eat eggs rather than specific eggs. I just find it easier to tell strangers I'm vegan and then clarifiy it with friends later on.

Last edited by HandsInTheDirtAgain on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:15 pm 
WRETCHED

mel c wrote:
veganstephen wrote:
Burned!

I can't tell if this was directed at me or not, but for clarity, my comment was meant in no way to be snarky, just honest and stra
ightforward. The PPK loves all awesome people, vegan or not!

Thats cool, I never thought that :P Asked for an opinion didn't I? And seriously, I've been chased off vegan forums with burning torches for being what I am ;) This place is pretty awsome so far :D

Although I don't know about other vegan forums, we have omnivores, vegetarians, vegans and every variation here. I think the forum rules say it best but just support a vegan diet, don't post nonvegan recipes/food pictures and we are good :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 pm 

[
Oh for sure! WOuldn't dream of it!!

Glad it seems laid back here. I'm an "every little helps" person and can't stand omnie and veggie bashing. Lots of people do what they can do and some make it all the way! You always catch more flies with honey/agave syrup than vinegar :P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:34 pm 

I get that technically I am an ovo veggie BUT that then implies that I eat eggs rather than specific eggs. I just find it easier to tell strangers I'm vegan and then clarifiy it with friends later on.

And you saying you're vegan implies that you don't eat eggs at all, which isn't true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:37 pm 

How about vegan -ish?
Or should we have another name?
The clinton vegan perhaps ;P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't see a problem with you calling yourself vegan when you go out somewhere to eat and you want to be treated as such. 'Vegan' is just a word used to describe something, and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if you tell a waiter somewhere that you're vegan so that you're not served dairy or eggs. It's easier than telling them your life story. He/she doesn't care if you eat eggs at home.

It's kind of the same thing as maybe going to a cafe and telling a barista that you're lactose intolerant to make sure that they're more careful about keeping milk away from your drink. It might be a lie, but who cares? I'm sure baby Jesus is cool with these little white lies.

But yeah, calling yourself vegan to people that know you eat eggs could be confusing and, well, incorrect. But it sounds like you know that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:43 pm 

fezza wrote:

And you saying you're vegan implies that you don't eat eggs at all, which isn't true.

I perhaps haven't made myself clear, I'm not trying to split hairs and anyone who knows me well enough to know I have the ladies and sometimes partake of an egg knows (because I tell them!) that I am not strictly a vegan in the technical sense but they know not to serve me egg is I go to their home for example.
My point was that in a casual situation its easy to say "no thanks, I'm vegan" when offered food than say "No thanks I'm an ovo vegetarian... no I don't drink milk or eat cheese and Oh by the way I only eat the eggs my girls lay so i won't be eating anything you have on offer here anyway."

Doesn't quite trip off the tongue does it ;)

So I'm not telling people that vegans eat eggs... which seems to be the main worry vegans have when I say this. I do set people straight :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Calling yourself vegan first and then clarifying that you eat your hens' eggs will mislead people as to what veganism is. We've all been in some sort of situation where someone attempts to feed us fish, or eggs, or something with 'just a little bit' of chicken broth, because they 'knew another vegan who ate that.'

I understand that since you are mostly vegan, you call yourself vegan for convenience. But honestly I don't see why it's difficult to say "I eat a mostly vegan diet except for my own hens' eggs." That pretty well covers it and makes it clear that veganism is distinct and separate from eating eggs, without taking two hours to explain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 pm 

fezza wrote:

I perhaps haven't made myself clear, I'm not trying to split hairs and anyone who knows me well enough to know I have the ladies and sometimes partake of an egg knows (because I tell them!) that I am not strictly a vegan in the technical sense but they know not to serve me egg is I go to their home for example.
My point was that in a casual situation its easy to say "no thanks, I'm vegan" when offered food than say "No thanks I'm an ovo vegetarian... no I don't drink milk or eat cheese and Oh by the way I only eat the eggs my girls lay so i won't be eating anything you have on offer here anyway."

Doesn't quite trip off the tongue does it ;)

So I'm not telling people that vegans eat eggs... which seems to be the main worry vegans have when I say this. I do set people straight :)

What was the point of this thread?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:49 pm 

the point of this thread was to find out is I was welcome or not :(