| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The New Abortion Wars
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:16 am 
Semen Strong

It is so disturbing that our rights to access to abortion are being chopped away using the salami tactic. Slowly more and more impediments are being erected, so that even if abortion itself remains legal (for now), access is becoming more and more difficult whether because of notification requirements, requirements that abortion providers have hospital privileges (to stop out of state providers flying in), or funding limitations (as we see in the healthcare debate).

Quote:
Twenty-nine governors are considered solidly anti-abortion, up from 21 before the election. In 15 states, both the legislature and the governor are anti-abortion, compared with 10 last year. This math greatly increases the prospect of extreme efforts to undermine abortion access with Big Brother measures that require physicians to read scripts about fetal development and provide ultrasound images, and that impose mandatory waiting periods or create other unnecessary regulations.

Such restrictions, combined with a persistent atmosphere of intimidation and violence, have taken a grievous toll on the fundamental right protected by Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that recognized a woman’s constitutional right to make her own child-bearing decisions. Eighty-seven percent of counties have no abortion provider, according to the Guttmacher Institute.

New Abortion Wars

I also watched Unborn in the USA (instantview on Netflix) and thought it was so thorough and unbiased. It was interesting to watch how concerted the attack and the training is for anti-choice activists, how little any of the anti-choice people thought about the women having abortions and how to address their needs - instead it was all about shame (dead baby photos and protests) and fear (abortion gives you cancer). And it was chilling to watch anti-choicers talk about how killing abortion providers or bombing clinics was the lesser of two evils while in front of Dr. George Tiller's clinic.

Post subject: Re: The New Abortion Wars
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:31 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tofulish wrote:
I also watched Unborn in the USA (instantview on Netflix) and thought it was so thorough and unbiased.

I didn't realize that was available. Thank you for mentioning it. I will be watching that during my kids' nap time.

I get really frustrated with this whole issue because of all the misinformation and scare tactics. It's frustrating when "pro-choice" is treated like some sort of "pro-abortion" stance. It seems so ridiculous to me that the same people that are anti-choice seem to be anti any thing other than abstinence for birth control. Historically we can see how well that worked. Baby farms are not a humane solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I liked Ring of Fire a lot, too, and it is also among the Netflices.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:37 pm 
Chip Strong

i get so angry about anti-choice tactics that i don't even know what to say about them right now.

however, on the bright side, i'm closely involved in a strategy to increase access which has great potential for success in many states-- getting rid of physician-only laws that were created over a hundred years ago and expanding the role of advanced practice clinicians (NP's, nurse midwives, PA's) in providing abortions. it's a service that's well within the scope of practice of APC's, and physician-only laws are a major contributor to lack of access throughout the country. anti-choice orgs are trying to quietly pass strongly worded physician-only laws state by state, and once these laws are passed, they're almost impossible to overturn. please keep an eye out for laws like this being proposed in your state and get involved in campaigning against them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I live in Wichita; where Dr. Tiller was murdered. The clinic has not reopened since his killing, and there doesn't seem to be anyone interested in taking over because of the terror associated with providing this service. Now, Kansas only has Kansas City as a close option for abortion.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for that information Liz the Wiz. I believe I read that Dr. Tiller was the only option for 2nd trimester terminations in Kansas. So I wonder if the KC options are 1st trimester only.

Apparently in the North East US, NYC is the only place you can go for 2nd trimester terminations.
http://www.villagevoice.com/2002-07-02/ ... y-landing/

Quote:
For many in the Northeast who need a second-trimester abortion, New York City is the only choice. In nearby Philadelphia, Boston, Rochester, and Buffalo, clinics that offer the procedure are scarce and getting scarcer, with full schedules and high fees, and almost none will end a pregnancy past 20 weeks.

Quote:
Catherine heard every story imaginable. She took calls from women who were bleeding regularly and fitting into their size-six jeans but were in fact 22-weeks pregnant; teens who'd been too paralyzed by fear and shame to tell their parents; women who had been to "crisis pregnancy centers"—funded by "Choose Life" license-plate sales and anti-choice groups—and lied to about how far along they were; women who wrongly believed they had a 50 percent chance of dying from an abortion; aunts and grandmothers of girls who had been sexually assaulted. Sometimes Catherine would even get a call from a woman who had just been told at her mid-pregnancy sonogram that the fetus was anencephalic—a defect in which part or all of the brain is missing—and that her OB either didn't know how or didn't want to perform an abortion for her. "There are so many reasons why women need second-trimester abortions," says Catherine.

Quote:
Other women, like Katie, are pushed into their second trimester by parental-consent laws or mandatory waiting periods. Thirty-two states now require parental consent or notification, and 26 mandate state-directed counseling and/or a waiting period of up to 24 hours. In Mississippi, second-trimester abortions increased 17 percent after the state implemented a one-day waiting period.

State-ordered delays are not just patronizing. As Catherine points out, 24 hours of waiting can turn into a week, and "a week can mean $800," not to mention a more physically taxing procedure.

So with more restrictions on access, more women will be pushed past the 12 week mark, and into needing 2nd trimester terminations, which are expensive, not covered by insurance and not available.