| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foodswings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:05 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm probably missing it, but I failed to find a foodswings thread on my search... I'm going for the first time to use my groupon, but I'm not sure what's good. I'm thinking of getting the tempeh reuben, fried plaintains (just because I need to order those any time I go anywhere that sells them) and one of the milkshakes.

Any recommendations? I think someone posted in another the must-go-to thread about the buffalo drmstick and mac n' cheese.

Post subject: Re: Foodswings
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:14 am 
So Totally Yiffy

heeeeeeere we go.
i'll be the first person to say that something (besides prices) changed a little bit when the ownership of this place changed hands about two years ago. but it will always have a place in my heart, it was one of the first vegan fast food places i went to, even when i wasnt vegan.

if someone posted about drumsticks and mac and cheese they were probably thinking of the combo plate, which is three drumsticks (either bbq, southern fried or sweet southern bbq) and then either mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, or french fries. its about $9 now i believe. thats usually what my boyfriend gets, most of the time i get it too. their fries are good.
i used to get the chicken cutlet sandwich for like three months straight every time i went there and then for some reason i got it one day and felt AWFUL, my body sometimes freaks out with vegan mayo. but that sandwich is pretty tasty regardless.
i've never had the plantains there but my boyfriend said they are good. (he's much more of a foodswings menu connoisseur than i am since him and his friend from new jersey used to go there weekly when they lived in new brunswick.)

also good - the potato skins (on the menu as 4Skins), the chicken parm sandwich...
milkshake wise my favorite is to get the tank (chocolate ice cream, peanut butter, chocolate cookies) but with coffee ice cream instead of chocolate, which happened by accident on a day that they were all out of ice cream except coffee and strawberry and we asked for a tank with coffee. my favorite two shakes are the tank and the bellavegan which are basically the same thing except one has chocolate and one has vanilla. but the butterfinger is also good. the firestorm shake there is named after my friend greg straight edge, who doesnt eat chocolate (its a carob shake).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:28 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My partner is Foodswings obsessed! I think it's all right. It will curb even the worst junk food craving, for sure. We almost always get a few of the drumsticks, the buffalo and southern fried bbq are my faves. We had some pretty awesome cheese fries once that were forking fantastic (I think they were chili cheese? I can't remember). I got the new mac and cheese last time I was there and really didn't care for it, but I remember loving the original.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:41 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I have only been there once, and I was both cough syruped and feeling pretty gross so it's kind of blurry, but I got the buffalo chicken wrap and chili cheese fries, both of which were pretty good. Dining partner one (vegan) got creamy mac and cheese and 3 drumsticks (...combo plate), and likes the drumsticks but likes the original mac and cheese better than the creamy. Dining partner TWO (omni) got creamy mac and cheese and was ambivalent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:47 pm 
Member type 4

Metal fries. The best/worst decision you'll ever make.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:19 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

I had the chicken ranch sandwich there. Meh. My boy got the gyro. His was better than mine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 pm 
Just posting opinions on the internet

Biked over there yesterday, love the fries, had the vegan mayo once and I had to go to the bathroom in kind of a weird way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Katiecarlos wrote:
Biked over there yesterday, love the fries, had the vegan mayo once and I had to go to the bathroom in kind of a weird way.

it was so good you had to stroganoff?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The drumsticks. It's all about the drumsticks and milkshakes. I'm a fan of the hurricane (the one with mint ice cream, because I love mint chocolate as a combo in general). I always make a stop there when I come for a NewYork visit, my boyfriend loves it, for him it's not even an option... we are going to Brooklyn and we are going to Foodswings. I always feel a little gross after eating there I think because I eat a lot less deep fried foods since going Vegan and my body's just not used to it. Tom's way more of a junk food Vegan and will plow his face into as many wings as he can eat and gets kinda blissed out about it. But it's worth it, and fine if you don't eat it all the time. They do what they do well and obviously there is plenty of demand for it as the place has always been busy when we've been there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Ooh, I too had the hurricane once and I thought it was pretty good! And I don't even like mint-chocolate combo.

The first time, I ordered the philly and a side of noochy mac and cheese and it was awesome. The nutritional yeast in the m&c wasn't overpowering and I loved the A1 flavored seitan in the sandwich, hah.

The second time, I had the tempeh reuben and I didn't like it as much as other vegan reubens; this one was extremely greasy for my taste and the dressing had whole peppercorns, but probably those are just personal things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, the reuben is really really way too greasy. i always get hot wings and mac nooch although the mac n cheese made with daiya is pretty good, too. eppy's dungeon master is more adventurous and tries new things more than I do. I think he likes the heart attack burger.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:07 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Courtney wrote:
The drumsticks. It's all about the drumsticks and milkshakes.

YES. I love all the drumsticks. My favorite milkshake is the tank.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm 
Semen Strong

The tank was great! I have one more groupon to use. I'm not sure I would go back for the food itself, but the shakes are yummy!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles