| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Some interesting and not so interesting changes I've made in the past year to save money:

I haven't had a haircut in a year.

I have nail polish on my toes from September of last year because I don't want to spend the money on remover.

Our faucet leaks when we take a shower, so I put a bucket underneath to catch the water. I then use that water to save money on watering the free lettuce seeds I planted outside.

What are you all doing to save money?

Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:26 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Well, I'm finally coming out of a two-year serious no-money cycle, but some of the stuff I did (some of which I'm still doing):

No mops. I scrub the floors by hand because it's cheaper than buying a mop.

Go to three separate grocery stores/coops to get groceries + a farmer's market. Shopping around saves money if you have 3 hours to walk around to grocery stores.

Use the oven to only heat the kitchen, therefore avoiding turning on the real heater and heating the whole place.

Making giant pots of borscht.

I'm finally going in to get my first haircut in almost 3 years (except for the odd bang trim and one free trim). If you just let your hair grow, it gets really long and eventually starts to get food caught in it when you eat, like a giant beard!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 pm 
Just posting opinions on the internet

I have to say if I were not pretty rich I am not sure I would survive. I get my haircut maybe once a month, and my heat is on constantly! I am pretty sure you guys are superhuman!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Katiecarlos wrote:
I have to say if I were not pretty rich I am not sure I would survive. I get my haircut maybe once a month, and my heat is on constantly! I am pretty sure you guys are superhuman!

You are massively missing the point of this thread. No offense, but broke people have other people's wealth rubbed in their faces enough. Let's let those who don't get monthly haircuts have this thread, yeah?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:49 pm 
Just posting opinions on the internet

I meant it as a compliment I admire your thriftiness!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:52 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Katiecarlos wrote:
I meant it as a compliment I admire your thriftiness!

I get it, and thank you, but still.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

jordanpattern wrote:
Katiecarlos wrote:

You are massively missing the point of this thread. No offense, but broke people have other people's wealth rubbed in their faces enough. Let's let those who don't get monthly haircuts have this thread, yeah?

I'm so sweet I get all the free haircuts I want! And they come with free dinner! And I get to borrow awesome cookbooks!

(I pay in driving the haircutter + boyfriend to far away shows, and moving them a million times a year to equally shitty apartments. my gas money, unfortunately, will not be paid off for years, as it is on my credit card)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'm going to a job interview tomorrow with brown sharpie covering a bleached section of hair that the dye washed out of because I can't afford more dye. Here's hopin I land that jobble.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Fee wrote:
I'm going to a job interview tomorrow with brown sharpie covering a bleached section of hair that the dye washed out of because I can't afford more dye. Here's hopin I land that jobble.

This is brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i've never had a professional haircut. i think it's slowly killing me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I am so used to saving money, that I don't even know how to spend anymore! I got that $20 amazon gift card for $10, and I can't decide what to do with it. Do I buy a pack of Chester's pills, or vitamins that i'm almost out of? Do I buy some mp3 albums or cookbooks for myself?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I am so used to saving money, that I don't even know how to spend anymore! I got that $20 amazon gift card for $10, and I can't decide what to do with it. Do I buy a pack of Chester's pills, or vitamins that i'm almost out of? Do I buy some mp3 albums or cookbooks for myself?

Oh gosh, doggle medication! Bries drops are 100.00$ a month. I'm tempted to ask my doc to prescribe me extra eye medication to give to her (as we both have glaucoma). Sadly that would probably be less than legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I also only get my hair cut once a year, and have for as long as I can remember.

I only see movies at the second run theater ($2.50, baby!) unless it's something I really, really, really want to see right away, like Harry Potter.

I stopped buying books, except for school. Denver has a great library system and I am utilizing the hell out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:04 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Rowan wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

Oh gosh, doggle medication! Bries drops are 100.00$ a month. I'm tempted to ask my doc to prescribe me extra eye medication to give to her (as we both have glaucoma). Sadly that would probably be less than legal.

Oh man, just ask for fun. What do you have to lose!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

mrsbadmouth wrote:

oh,i knew exactly what to buy with it. there was this cookbook that i had been looking at for at least six months but could never justify spending $35 on it. then i got the coupon and it was on amazon for only $20, so after paying the $4 shipping i now have it and i look at it everyday. it is a jam cookbook, so i haven't actually used it yet.

i have been cutting my hair for a long time, as well as dying it. i rarely to never buy new clothes, since being pregnant i needed to buy new things and i found it to be exhausting and kind of scary. i am too cheap to buy hiking boots or waterproof shoes which i really need for work, i also won't buy a rain jacket and always use nate's.
jordan - i have also done the oven thing. in dc nate and i would sometimes lock ourselves in our bedroom and use the space heater to just heat that room, then we would fight about who had to go to the kitchen to get food cause it was so cold down there.
i am brewing my own kombucha and will soon start brewing mead and cider. i also started canning this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:06 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

mrsbadmouth wrote:

This is a big one for me. I got a large Zappos gift certificate for my birthday in early October, and I just yesterday finally spent it, and it's not like I wasn't trying! I ended up getting replacements for some shoes I already have, some sensible boots, and some very slightly not sensible shoes (but still pretty sensible).

Plus, now that I have money to get the little things (like freezer bags, hair tyes, etc.) I still agonize over those purchases. I have a cookie sheet full of frozen TBSPs of tomato paste in my freezer, but I don't really want to spend the $3.50 on freezer bags to store them it in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

elouise wrote:

I stopped buying books, except for school. Denver has a great library system and I am utilizing the hell out of it.

Yes, the libraries are a good one. You can rent movies and music too!

I was feeling sad and desperate the other day, looking through Amazon for a new book to make me feel better when it clicked in my head that I could go to the library. Sheesh...it's such an obvious easy way for free entertainment!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I regifted two Xmas gifts to a friend for her birthday last week. I feel sorta bad about that, its tacky, but in my defense I know one of the gifts was free for the person who gave it to me and the other was from someone I don't know well (co-worker) who probably only got me something out of percieved obligation. And the girl I regifted them to seemed to really like them!

Had my brother in law shave my dog instead of getting her groomed, that saved $35!

Only take my ADD medication when I need to (school, busy day), that shiz is spendy. Only problem is that if I'm not taking it consistently I never really get used to the side effects (upset stomach, dizziness) whereas if I take it daily they sort of go away after a week. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We keep the heat between 60-65 when we are home and around 58 degrees when we are not. Even then, our heating/propane bill was almost $400 this past month and our place is not huge. Eek!

I wash and re-wash any plastic throwaway containers, ziplock, or produce bags and reuse them (partly to save money and partly for environmental reasons).

We don't eat dinner out very often. I cook most nights of the week and we take leftovers to work for lunch.

We make our own ketchup (mostly because it is healthier - i.e. no high fructose corn syrup).

Canning! I love to can produce we get in our CSA in the summer so we can use them during the winter at lower costs (i.e. particularly tomatoes).

I buy very few holiday or birthday presents for friends and family. I usually only shop for my mom and husband for Xmas for example.

I cannot even tell you the last time I got my car washed.

I haven't gotten a pedicure in over a year and a half (although that is mostly due to getting a horrible toenail fungus) and I never get manicures.

I wait months in between haircuts until I cannot stand it anymore or only go if I have a coupon to get money off from my hairdresser.

I started buying beans, lentils, and flour in bulk.

I stopped taking daily showers (partly to save money on heating the water, but mostly because I read that it is bad for your skin to wash daily - it dries you out).

I actually started going to a tailor to get my clothes fixed vs. throwing them out or getting new ones.

We don't have a landline (only cell phones).

I'm considering getting rid of cable and just using our Netflix account or Hulu for entertainment.

I do a large portion of my monthly grocery shopping on the 10th of the month when our co-op gives 10% off to members.

I don't do this anymore, but a few years after I graduated college, I would still use my college ID to get discounts (shh!!).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Abelskiver wrote:
Only take my ADD medication when I need to (school, busy day), that shiz is spendy. Only problem is that if I'm not taking it consistently I never really get used to the side effects (upset stomach, dizziness) whereas if I take it daily they sort of go away after a week. :(

Ughh. This is what my friend has to do with her antidepressants and it makes me so, so sad. She shouldn't have to choose between taking medication that allows her to function or feeding her kid. I thank sweet jeebus that I can still be on my folks insurance plan for a few more years, cause if not it would be around 500.00$ a month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

^i do a lot of those things as well. we don't have cable, only use netflix and hulu and for netflix i only have the on demand feature.
only cell phones here, too
i have washed my car once since i got it and i will be washing it again soon because it is so disgusting, but i am going to wash it in my driveway
i have only been showering 4-5 times a week
i always buy in bulk as much as i can
i never get anyone birthday or christmas presents, you know i love you so i am not buying you more crepe
we still eat out more than i would like, but the last few months have been insane and hopefully when things get a little less crazy i will have more time/energy to cook. that being said we are down to eating out probably 3-4 times a week when we used to eat out at least once a day

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Oh yeah, we got rid of our cable. Even though we can technically afford it, we're too busy to even watch our netflix movies most times, so we don't exactly have time to watch enough tv to make cable worthwhile.

I also don't really shop. It's kind of a no brainer, but people act like shopping for clothes and shiitake is a necessity, which, admittedly, it can be, but mostly it isn't. I don't buy many new clothes, and when i do, it's usually because I actually need them, and most of the ones I do get are second hand or, even better, hand-me-downs.

Also, I drink Simpler Times beer. It's $3 for 6 cans from TJ's. It's not amazing by any stretch, but it's not bad, and the price can hardly be beat. I drink that stuff lots of the time, and then don't have to feel so bad about the occasional bar/booze splurge.

Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Eat a lot of dried beans. Bake my own bread. Use the library for books and movies. Thrift store for clothes. Walk or bike instead of drive. Reuse jars and bottles. Pickle vegetables when they're in season and cheap. Cut my own hair. Drive the same old crappy car I've had for twelve years. Generally resist the urge to acquire crepe.

I look at the meager salaries people complain about and can't imagine what I'd do with that much cash. $30,000 a year seems like crazy money.

Kitchens Planning Manchester

I usually get my hair cut pretty frequently, although my last two appointments had to be canceled and now it's been a good three months. But I do get it done at a cosmetology school that my friend goes to, so it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
My mom has a BJs membership and sometimes I go shopping with her to stock up on things. Hummus, frozen broccoli, fruit and peanut butter are all really good deals there. I found some gardein stuff there too yesterday, hurray!

I guess I have a Twitter now

Last edited by kilgore trout on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

TuxedoCat wrote:

I don't do this anymore, but a few years after I graduated college, I would still use my college ID to get discounts (shh!!).

My student ID also serves as a bus pass. It's awesome and I plan on using that sucker for as long as I can even after I graduate.

Last edited by elouise on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next