| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How do you stay fit and still eat like a mofo?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've found that it's all about walking for me..which has been a strange discovery. I think it's the consistency. I've always worked out, but not every single day like I do with walking. I walk with Olen about 2 hours in all each day, and I've lost about 20 pounds by that alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 pm 
Impressive boner

I exercise now more than I have for the rest of my life (roller derby 2 to 3 times a week and training to run a 5k) and I'm maintaining my weight. I eat sugar and wheat very rarely and don't drink alcohol. I think I eat too many carbs and not enough fibre/protein to lose weight. I feel a little less chubby though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i eat like a mofo and don't exercise and am at my lowest weight since i was what, like, thirteen? i'm hefting around a 20 lb sack of potatoes (read: my 11 month old daughter) for about 18 hours a day and breastfeeding... and no matter what i eat, i still lose weight. the sad thing is that it's mostly muscle mass, but like i have the time or energy to really exercise properly. i literally don't know if i could even eat enough to actually feed my daughter and expend a bunch of calories in a yoga class... and i'm talking hard-core food... nut butters, oil drizzled on everything, avocado, tofu, beans, cans of full-fat coconut milk liberally poured into everything else.

so yeah, metabolism, and breastfeeding.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

It depends what you mean by "eat like a mofo." I have days when I exercise and relatively high intensity for 2+ hours, and on those days, yeah, I eat a lot (by necessity--I'm hungry!). But that doesn't mean stuffing my face with every single treat available to me, and it doesn't mean eating until I'm stuffed. Just like on days when I don't exercise as much, it means eating until my body tells me it's got enough to go on for awhile.

The only time I "eat like a mofo" (aka half of a large pizza, beer, and some cookies) is when I ride 70+ miles on my bike, and that's only because I'm starving and just need to get the calories into my body. But that only happens a couple of times per year. If it were more frequent, I'd spend more energy refueling properly on those days.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Get a physically demanding job. I ate SO MUCH FOOD ALL THE TIME and was also more fit than I've ever been!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Quote:
When I was biking to work every day (8 miles round trip, a total of 5 hours per week) I lost a ton of weight even though I was eating between 1800-2500 calories per day.

Ooh, I like the sounds of this. I'm just starting to bike for the first time in my life and it's 9 miles of trails between my home and office. I really want to do it! My only concern is sweatiness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Queen Bean wrote:
guy burgess wrote:
probably not a helpful answer but honestly my metabolism does all the work for me so I can eat like a mofo and not do a lot (but I do). It's actually a bit of a curse in some ways as I'm very light, but I don't deviate at all, so this must be my natural weight.

JEALOUS!

My metabolism sucks. I am trying to lose weight right now, and when I work out for 45 mins each day, plus eat a completely whole foods diet (I am even on a cleanse, eliminating gluten, alcohol, and sugar), I am lucky if I lose a whole pound that month!

I guess I just wanted some reassurance that once I get to my goal weight, I'll be able to eat chickpea cutlets and jelly donut cupcakes and cinnamon buns and chocolate peanut butter pie with reckless abandon, as long as I work out pretty hard, but I guess that's a fantasy. I've always been of the opinion that it's easier to restrict what I eat than to work out, but lately I've been OBSESSED with food, and I realized life is too short to deprive myself of vegan cupcakes, cookies, and savory treats!

I do like the idea of maintaining a good diet for the week and then relaxing on the weekends. That seems manageable.

I'm certainly no registered dietrician, but maybe you are not eating enough to maintain your metabolism. It's all about eating the right foods. I have been trying to lose weight, and I realized when I eat less I don't lose as much. It's all about getting filled up on fruits, veggies, and whole grains though.

I've also been loosely following Jackie Warner's program from her book This Is Why You're Fat, on which you eat clean for 5 days, then you can eat 2 cheat meals on the weekends. That doesn't mean pigging out all day for two days, but you can definitely have an cinnamon bun for brunch. It's important to eat clean for the other 5 days though and to cut out refined sugars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I ate all day when I was following Jackie's plan closely, 3 meals and 2 snacks. She emphasized having a protein with your snack, like an apple with nut butter, or carrot sticks and some hummus. That helps maintain the energy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:36 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

eat when hungry
do NOT eat when NOT hungry (e.g. bored, angry)
eat a lot of soup

4 - 6 hours of spinning classes / week

hate driving and be unable to park => a lot of walking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:59 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Also, be young...as I got older, what I thought was easy to maintain got less so. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

stardogchampion wrote:
Also, be young...as I got older, what I thought was easy to maintain got less so. Just sayin.

Yes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

My metabolism keeps my weight in check for me. In the past I did worry that pretty soon my metabolism would desert me and leave me to gain lots of sudden weight, so I became careful about not going overboard with the "anything goes" eating pattern. Also, having a fast metabolism means that if I miss a meal or don't have 24 access to snacks, I can fork up my eating pattern for a whole week, so I try to keep myself full at all times and not eat junk food, even though I "can" without adding on pounds.

If I had to give my advice for maintaining a healthy weight, I'd say
1) Eat breakfast every day, and make sure you're stuffed when you leave the house in the morning
2) Make a habit of eating brown rice instead of white, whole wheat pastas instead of regular white, and whole grain breads, again instead of regular white bread. Treat more refined (ie white) foods as a treat rather than a staple.
3) Don't avoid working out because of fear of increased caloric intake. Working out makes eating so much more enjoyable, and reduces associations between eating and guilt. If you work out and then eat a big healthy meal, you can feel great about yourself in a way that isn't so easy when you're lazing on the couch starving all day. Being more positive about the foods you eat will in turn instill more ideal/healthy eating patterns.
4) Keep carbs to 1/3 or less of what's on your plate. If you're hungry, by all means eat more pasta, but also eat more of whatever vegetable and protein you've got as well.
5) Take a few moments now and then to love and appreciate simple ingredients, especially fruits. An evening routine I really enjoy (and miss, thanks to the anti-candida diet!) is having a nice mug of herbal tea with a few dates. My mom does this too - every night she and my dad have this cute little ritual where they go down to the kitchen and share a small bar of dark chocolate, like it's the most amazing dessert in the world. Getting excited about simple and classic ingredients helps you remember that you don't need to make/eat big elaborate desserts. Because I don't know about you, but often times when I do eat big pieces of cake or whatever kind of junk food, I end up inhaling it so quickly that I barely even enjoy it all that much.

Sorry if that's not terribly helpful. I notice you said you're on a cleanse diet. How long have you been doing that for? Have you been on it for a while or just starting? I know that for me the sugar cravings were pretty unbearable for the first couple weeks, and I don't really even have much of a sweet tooth to begin with. I couldn't even have normal conversations with people because all I could think about was cake. But now that I'm a few weeks in I'm actually enjoying it in a weird way, and it's given me a new outlook on eating sweet foods as treats to be appreciated rather than daily staples you chow down because of habit. If you're still in the starting out, sugar-craving-despair phase, it helps to know that things won't stay that way indefinitely - unless you start eating like a mofo again, in which case you'll continue to crave mofoey foods in excess. And then it just comes down to metabolism I guess.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2