| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gardein
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

allularpunk wrote:
rabidchild wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
I don't hate the stuff, buuuut I don't think it's good enough to justify the price. Not even the tenders. There, I said it.

How much do they run there? (Or other places) The tenders are $3.99/bag here, which is cheaper than either a box of veggie burgers, or a box of vegan tenders (whichever brand it is that makes vegan ones, I forget offhand). I don't mind paying $4 for a treat every now and again!

the bag of tenders i bought was about $6 here. (i was feeling 'rich' [ha].) and it feels like a one portion bag to me.

For me, a bag is like 3 portions. My husband, I'm sure, would finish it in one go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:23 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The tenders are definitely only one portion for me.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

When I lived in TN, Kroger carried the non-frozen products. Then no one bought them, they would almost expire, and I would buy them for 50% off! I agree that the sauces are nothing to write home about, but they're good for a quick meal. When I visit Brian I get the meal ones that are stuffed and come with rice.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

I had a sicilian trio one and it was just okay but I want try other stuff. Zpizza has Gardien crumbles and Daiya so I go there sometimes and I really like the crumbles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I picked up the seven grain tenders and buffalo tenders on sale at Fred Meyer a few days ago. I sprayed a baking sheet with oil and I was shocked at how 'oily' the tenders got after a few minutes in the oven at their unique baking time. Next time, I'll probably just stick them on parchment paper, sans spray oil. I liked them, but I think the price (and on sale for $3.99 a bag) doesn't justify more than a lazy dinner treat. I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also - 100% better than that TJ's soy nuggets. I just wish they were sold in bigger quantities. I felt like a crasshole buying such a small bag.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've only had the chicken fingers. I didn't like them, but that's because I don't like anything trying to be like meat except for a few things.
I still have half a bag of them left and really don't want to eat them, but they are kind of pricey to just not eat them.

"If I was a celebrity with Twitter, I would totally use it to fork with people" -DangerZone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 am 

I've never oiled a baking sheet with the tenders. I'm getting mad because someone else is buying all of them at my local grocery store and my kids want them all the time. They are also around $4 a bag here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

Keep the sauce on the side! You should probably at least try the sauce, but I thought it was gross. The buffalo tenders themselves are fantastic, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

For the Gardein lovers:

Right now there's a $1 coupon on their website. It let me print it twice.

http://www.gardein.com/ecoupon.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I've only tried the buffalo tenders once and didn't like the sauce at all.
I used the wings in a burrito with pan-fried kale seasoned with a bit of soy sauce and garlic and it was fantastic, though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:01 pm 
Crazy bat lady

One time at WF they had frozen stuffed Gardein--it was stuffed with marinara & Daiya. It was awesome. My husband wanted it every night. When I went back someone had bought it all! Boo!

At the same time they had the "stuffing" stuffed Gardein, which WF uses for their vegan holiday meals.

They haven't had either since, even though I keep asking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Hapax Legomenon wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

Keep the sauce on the side! You should probably at least try the sauce, but I thought it was gross. The buffalo tenders themselves are fantastic, though.

oh, I actually did this last night! I thought the sauce was unenjoyable spicy and had I had agave around, would have added some to it. I totally over-baked the nuggets and thought they were dry, but I'm glad I didn't bake them in the sauce. Also, I think it's gross that the package recommends pan-frying and serving over pasta.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:14 pm 

I actually have lucked out a few times and found the frozen chicken nugget type Gardein at Cost-Co. I was so excited, because they were SO much cheaper and the portion was a lot bigger than what my grocery store carried (which seems to have stopped carrying them already). After a few months of not seeing them, I bought three bags to store in my freezer this time around.

I know it's a big box store so my food is most likely flown in from who knows where, but they are also my source of big bags of organic quinoa, organic spinach, and real maple syrup, which I can't usually afford at WF.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:22 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I like Gardein every now and then, but I only buy it once in a while - usually when I have a good coupon or it's on sale or both, since it's too expensive to get all the time. I have a few $1-off coupons that don't expire for a couple of months, but I'm holding off in hopes that Publix puts the stuff on sale buy 1/get 1 like they did a while back. I'll still use the coupons no matter what, but I can't resist a double-whammy coupon/sale combo!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

amethyst wrote:
I like Gardein every now and then, but I only buy it once in a while - usually when I have a good coupon or it's on sale or both, since it's too expensive to get all the time. I have a few $1-off coupons that don't expire for a couple of months, but I'm holding off in hopes that Publix puts the stuff on sale buy 1/get 1 like they did a while back. I'll still use the coupons no matter what, but I can't resist a double-whammy coupon/sale combo!

Agreed. It's a bit pricey without the coupon, but I've enjoyed most of the products I've tried.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:04 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Has anybody shredded the Gardein breasts? I want to make BBQ chicken sandwiches and I'd prefer shredded but it the texture's funky I'll cube it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:36 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

VeganMeredith, B_A_D, Arisaig, Sobeys now carries the frozen stuff as well. I found it by accident walking by the hungry man dinners. It's no where close to all the other veg stuff.
Buffalo wings... they were just ok. I probably wouldn't buy them again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:18 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The Schneiders meatless burgers/meatballs/nuggets are all in with the meat at Sobeys too, which I like in a way - for meat eaters who might try something new.

I don't know if I mentioned this before but the Superstore has their own brand of "chicken" nuggets that are made with Gardein. Everyone in my house likes them (omnis and veggies) and they are way cheaper than the little packs of Gardein-brand nuggets.

I cook them on parchment paper. They turn out better that way than on sprayed metal pans.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Arisaig wrote:
I cook them on parchment paper. They turn out better that way than on sprayed metal pans.

I've had really good luck with parchment paper too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

I kind of like Gardein. I think the wings would be better with a hot sauce/EB combo, but I liked the heat the sauce that comes with them has. It was kind of mellow but had a good heat background. I was also impressed by the beefless tips, the marinara stuffed chicken "breast" and the crispy tenders. I didn't care for the BBQ shreds, which I had high hopes for. Riblets are so amazing that I would just chop those up if I wanted something BBQ-ey. I would be interested in trying the whole line but most of the podunk stores here only have the fridge stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We grilled out with some friends last week and the grocery store we went to had nothing to grill, so we picked up a bag of the breaded chicken tenders. I hadn't had them before, but they were great on the grill! Everyone else wanted to try a bite and thought they were really good. I'm still always a little freaked out at how "meaty" they are and have to re-read the package every other bite. Definitely something I will keep in mind for a pinch again!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

VeganMeredith wrote:

I can't find the ranch recipe I thought I had, anyone have any good suggestions?

AFR!

Has anyone tried the BBQ skewers? My mom bought me a box of them. I normally don't even bother with fake beef things, because I never, ever liked beef, and I hear that fake beef is often terrible anyway. I don't want to throw away her $4 or whatever, but I really doubt I'll eat them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm 
Chip Strong

Maybe I am crazy but I mixed the buffalo sauce with goddess dressing and it was the bomb. Also, the new mandarin chickn ones are awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:10 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Rubella wrote:
Maybe I am crazy but I mixed the buffalo sauce with goddess dressing and it was the bomb.

Not crazy. I love that combo!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next