| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Battlestar Galactica
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

just mumbles wrote:
Spoiler: show
Giving up technology was completely unbelievable. That would last right up until the first time a pair of parents are watching their child die of dysentery. No society in the history of the world has ever successfully suppressed any technology without police state measures.

God, that finale was deplorable. Awful. Just, so forking bad. All of the important themes of the show were undermined by the end. I mean, the whole show is supposed to serve as a warning about incautious technological development, but the message by the end of the show is "Don't worry about it: God will take care of it." If they had let the show end as the destroyed Earth, the first planet called Earth, it would have served their message well. "Hey, we forked this up, and no one else is going to bail us out."

The other major theme, the conflict between Cylon and Man, turned out to be nonsense, too. The 'final five' were not Cylon in any meaningful sense. Instead, it was about humans vs. some guy (series of guys, whatever) with developmental problems.

Two things I wish TV would drop altogether: faith vs. reason (guys, you aren't actually having this debate if you make faith reasonable and reason merely obstiant), and forking daddy issues. That goes for you, too, Lost.

Yes! All of this completely! Also, re: technology: imagine you take a small group of PPKers, deposit them in pre-history and tell them they have to make do with no technology whatsoever. I'm betting they would not last all that long. These people were used to flying spaceships. Now, they have to make their own clothes, grow their own food and build their own mud huts, which will have no amenities of any kind. Once again, I say this plot point was STUPID.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was really really disappointed with Caprica. I watched maybe the first three episodes and found them SO boring. My husband ended up watching the whole thing but I couldn't even sit there in the same room when it was on. Just mind-numbingly boring.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

KarynMC wrote:
just mumbles wrote:
Giving up technology was completely unbelievable. That would last right up until the first time a pair of parents are watching their child die of dysentery. No society in the history of the world has ever successfully suppressed any technology without police state measures.

God, that finale was deplorable. Awful. Just, so forking bad. All of the important themes of the show were undermined by the end. I mean, the whole show is supposed to serve as a warning about incautious technological development, but the message by the end of the show is "Don't worry about it: God will take care of it." If they had let the show end as the destroyed Earth, the first planet called Earth, it would have served their message well. "Hey, we forked this up, and no one else is going to bail us out."

The other major theme, the conflict between Cylon and Man, turned out to be nonsense, too. The 'final five' were not Cylon in any meaningful sense. Instead, it was about humans vs. some guy (series of guys, whatever) with developmental problems.

Two things I wish TV would drop altogether: faith vs. reason (guys, you aren't actually having this debate if you make faith reasonable and reason merely obstiant), and forking daddy issues. That goes for you, too, Lost.

Yes! All of this completely! Also, re: technology: imagine you take a small group of PPKers, deposit them in pre-history and tell them they have to make do with no technology whatsoever. I'm betting they would not last all that long. These people were used to flying spaceships. Now, they have to make their own clothes, grow their own food and build their own mud huts, which will have no amenities of any kind. Once again, I say this plot point was STUPID.

I chose to believe in my head that they didn't give up ALL their technology and luxuries, just the space travel part. Otherwise, yeah, it made no sense. Especially with everyone going off to live by themselves. I'm sorry, but Chief would have starved to death immediately living on some island alone.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:08 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

My favorite part was how the writers seemed to be communicating to the audience that they knew it made no sense. When everyone is in the tent planning the future of their crappy ape-fucking society, the lawyer guy says something like "Do you think you can convince everyone to do this?" I don't remember, something like that. They might as well have had him turn and look directly into the camera at that point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

radish wrote:
appifanie wrote:
Okay so I added The Plan and Caprica and the Caprica series to my queue.

Keep us updated if this is good. I was thinking about watching it when I'm finished with Buffy (one more season), but I've never heard anything good about it (though I've never heard anything bad either).

Also, that Helo shirt is fantastic. Totally requesting that for my birthday from a nerd friend!

I have watched most of Caprica. It is the most depressing show I think I ever watched. If you didn't like the religious aspect of BSG you won't like Caprica because that is its main focus. The one true god and terrorism.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

We watched the first season of Caprica and most of the characters drove me nuts, especially all the whiny teenager stuff. We gave up on the second season, but I heard that it did get better over the last few episodes.

The Kara/angel crepe was such bullshiitake. That whole thing was such bullshiitake. It makes me angry.

Though perhaps the point was that they all failed miserably at being cavemen and died and Hera was adopted by the existing people.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:54 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

LazySmurf wrote:
My favorite part of the episode is
when Cheif finds out Tori killed Callie

TOTALLY. I read a spoiler and I kept waiting for it.

LazySmurf wrote:
I have watched most of Caprica. It is the most depressing show I think I ever watched. If you didn't like the religious aspect of BSG you won't like Caprica because that is its main focus. The one true god and terrorism.

Good warning - thanks! I'll go into it expecting disappointment and maybe then it'll be okay. :D

just mumbles wrote:
My favorite part was how the writers seemed to be communicating to the audience that they knew it made no sense. When everyone is in the tent planning the future of their crappy ape-forking society, the lawyer guy says something like "Do you think you can convince everyone to do this?" I don't remember, something like that. They might as well have had him turn and look directly into the camera at that point.

It did have a Lost "we don't know what to do so let's make it batshit" aspect to it.

KarynMC wrote:
just mumbles wrote:

Very valid points mumbles!

Also, it is a bit dumb, but I imagine if
you stick a bunch of people on a spaceship for years, a pretty planet has to look pretty damn good, and worth sacrifice. Not that I'm excusing the stupidity entirely, but still.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I thought Caprica was alright. I wasn't as invested in the characters as I was with BSG, but I was disappointed to hear it got canceled. I'm looking forward to the next prequel (I forget the name and can't be arsed to Google it).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm 

rachell37 wrote:
I thought Caprica was alright. I wasn't as invested in the characters as I was with BSG, but I was disappointed to hear it got canceled. I'm looking forward to the next prequel (I forget the name and can't be arsed to Google it).

blood and chrome. and yeah - i think that BSG w/ different actors wouldn't have had the same magic, therefore prequels/sequels/whatever are at a disadvantage right off the bat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:08 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks for all the warnings. I hated the religious aspects of BSG, so I don't think I'll be watching Caprica.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I actually started watching BSG because I liked Caprica. But then I lost interest in Caprica by the mid-season premiere and never finished the series.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

nickvicious wrote:
Know you'll be hooked! Bwahaha!

And yeah, Ssn 3 isn't all that great. I did like all the stuff with
New Caprica and the insurgency
though.

I forget which seasons are the best because I've always just watched the lot straight through..... that part
when Gaius goes all Pierre Laval is brilliant though. He was a shitty president, but so was Roslin really... and she didn't have a gun to her head at the time. I always feel he gets the rough end of the deal. So he gave up some passwords for kitten. So what? Adama started the war! Roslin is a bloodthirsty drug-crazed maniac!

LazySmurf wrote:
There are a couple episodes that were clunkers

Yeah, like the
boxing episode! Any time I'm watching a TV show and they trot out some needless twaddle in a failed attempt at character development, I shout "BOXING EPISODE!" at my television.

I promised my lesser half I'd watch True Blood if she'd watch Battlestar.... True Blood's proving to be more enjoyable than I thought it would (we rinsed about five episodes the other day as hangover medicine) but I can't wait to drop the BSG-bomb.

molly wrote:
The second time through the series, I really noticed how absolutely stellar the acting is. It's crazy that James Callis (Baltar) was never nominated for any awards. He's just amazing.

Yeah, he's brilliant. Gaius is the best thing about BSG. My favourite character by a country mile. It makes watching Bridget Jones's Diary really weird now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

kara kara wrote:
Also,
WHAT THE FRAK HAPPENED TO STARBUCK? WHERE DID SHE GO? GAAAAH!!!!

She was an angel. She disappeared after her work was done.

elouise wrote:
Don't forget to watch the webisodes first!

Holy cow! I never even saw these. I had heard of webisodes but thought that they were the
young Adama
based ones included on the DVDs. Now I'm even MORE stoked to rewatch it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:34 pm 

Okay so The Plan is good so far. Also, it's enjoyable for all - there are gross parts (burned bodies) and there are naked men and naked women!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:09 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ghost Lips wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

Yeah, like the
boxing episode! Any time I'm watching a TV show and they trot out some needless twaddle in a failed attempt at character development, I shout "BOXING EPISODE!" at my television.

I've heard the same thing from so many people but I think that's my favorite episode of the whole series! I just love Lee and Kara's story, I guess, and I thought the ending was so touching.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:23 pm 

molly wrote:
Ghost Lips wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

Yeah, like the

I've heard the same thing from so many people but I think that's my favorite episode of the whole series! I just love Lee and Kara's story, I guess, and I thought the ending was so touching.

yeah it had it's bad moments and it's pointlessness, but it's perks saved it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

molly wrote:
Ghost Lips wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

Yeah, like the

Lee and Kara's story is the dullest thing about BSG... COULD. NOT. CARE. LESS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:01 pm 

Ghost Lips wrote:

i was all over it until i saw anders. then i was so over kara/lee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:19 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm all about the Dualla.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:26 am 

Ghost Lips wrote:
I'm all about the Dualla.

pre marriage. she has lovely eyes.

eta: caprica movie or whatever will be here monday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

appifanie wrote:
Ghost Lips wrote:

i was all over it until i saw anders. then i was so over kara/lee

The first time through the show I was all about Lee/Kara, and then I re-watched the whole thing and it seemed so obvious and right that she should be with Anders. It was a really major, unexpected change of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

I can get past Dualla's planet-sized forehead.

Like, I literally can't get past it. It has its own orbital defense system.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:18 pm 

watching caprica

Last edited by appifanie on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 pm 

sorry, i totally thought i was posting in the supernatural thread and i wasn't.

#bloodandchrome has some tweets on twitter - i guess they jsut finished shooting it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

We just finished the whole thing last night. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending but overall I liked the series.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next