| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just rarely clean, so my cleaning products last longer. Also, tshirts and cats can both clean spills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

graffitipassion wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I collect loose change.

Oh yeah, we do too! We have a couple jars full. But you have to take it to the bank...those Coinstars rip you off.

The coinstar machine near our place doesn't take a percentage if you redeem the coins for gift certificates, and one of the options at ours is Amazon.com, which you can buy groceries and shoes and all manner of other useful things on. We recently brought a few years worth of collected change to one and ended up with something like $70!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:24 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

ndpittman wrote:
I feel like there was also info on making your own cleaning products in Vegan Girl's Guide to Life, but I could be misremembering.

There is! I completely forgot about that, thank you for the reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've been doing surveys for amazon giftcards on opinionplace.com for about a year. The surveys are totally boring and you can only do one a week or so, but you get from $1-$3 in giftcards (I think you can get paypal credits too).

If anyone knows any other legit survey for money type sites, I'd love to know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Synovate.org has surveys that you do for points and then you can redeem your points for $$. You won't earn a lot of money doing this, but I've earned almost $10 by doing a couple of surveys a week for a few months.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:54 pm 
Ignore this!

Sarah-Jane wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I feel like there was also info on making your own cleaning products in Vegan Girl's Guide to Life, but I could be misremembering.

There is! I completely forgot about that, thank you for the reminder.

Plus if you google cleaning with baking soda and white vinegar, you'll find lots of information about how that's all you need to clean everything in your house.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:16 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I've been doing surveys for amazon giftcards on opinionplace.com for about a year. The surveys are totally boring and you can only do one a week or so, but you get from $1-$3 in giftcards (I think you can get paypal credits too).

If anyone knows any other legit survey for money type sites, I'd love to know.

Pine Cone Research pays $3 per survey. I don't get invited to do too many, though. Sometimes it's only around 2-3 a month.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

graffitipassion wrote:
elouise wrote:

I stopped buying books, except for school. Denver has a great library system and I am utilizing the hell out of it.

Yes, the libraries are a good one. You can rent movies and music too!

I was feeling sad and desperate the other day, looking through Amazon for a new book to make me feel better when it clicked in my head that I could go to the library. Sheesh...it's such an obvious easy way for free entertainment!

<3 for both of you on behalf of the American Library Association and the PPK International League of Vegan Librarians. Remember this love when your damn state legislature tries to cut funding to libraries.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:35 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I wash and re-use ziplocks, my lunches made of leftovers come to work in empty eb tubs or reuseable containers. I save all my jars from stuff for leftovers too. I cook too much for me & my daughter so I always have leftovers since sometimes big batches are cheaper.

I only buy new clothes when my old ones don't fit or have fallen apart and even then usually also with my mom's money.

I paint when I can find canvasses at goodwill that will work well for what I want to do. I am super excited because the house I will be living in had 5 mysterious canvases show up in the garage between when I looked at it the first time and when I was there last week.

I buy everything I possibly can in bulk. I am planning on starting to make my own almond milk, soap, lotion, and cleaning stuff as soon as I learn how. This spring I want to learn how to can and make jams and jellies.

I sometimes get free stuff to review for cafemom. Unfortunately they've only picked me twice.

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lobsteriffic wrote:
Synovate.org has surveys that you do for points and then you can redeem your points for $$. You won't earn a lot of money doing this, but I've earned almost $10 by doing a couple of surveys a week for a few months.

ashley wrote:
Pine Cone Research pays $3 per survey. I don't get invited to do too many, though. Sometimes it's only around 2-3 a month.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I ate two 36 cent instant Mr Noodles for supper today. I feel sick, incidentally.

A big motivating factor in my decision to chop off my hair (from to the small of my back to a boy-short crop) was that I could cut back drastically on shampoo. And of course I cut it myself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:07 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

oh my goodness. My life belongs in this thread, though most of it's the same stuff everyone else is doing.

*vinegar/baking soda for floor washing/cleaning
*no shampoo/conditioner
*never had a manicure/pedicure/facial/wax/any other 'beauty' cost
*haircuts once a year or less
*leftovers for husbands lunches frozen in tofu containers
*reduce waste as much as possible, we only put out a rubbish bag about once every two months
*re-use plastic ziploc bags/jars/containers
*all beans, gluten flour, all spices/herbs/nuts bought in bulk
*vege garden to supplement produce shopping
*produce bought from local asian store [waaay cheaper than supermarkets]
*haven't bought new clothes in ... over three years?
*wear shoes till they break, tape them up, keep wearing them
*I had my first ever cup of tea on new years eve, but am too cheap to use a 'whole' tea bag so I'll only have one now after the husband's made one, re-using the same tea bag
*haven't been to see a film at the cinema since early 2007
*haven't bought a drink in a bar since mid-2008
*avoid meeting friends for meals outside of the home wherever possible
*borrow most books/dvds we want to read/watch from my in-laws who have tonnes
*bake for gifts wherever possible
*no heating in our house at all [but it doesn't get thaaat cold here so that's not much of a biggie]
*I do one of those online survey things too and have just earned enough for a $20 gift card
*Use credit card whenever we do have to buy anything so we earn reward points
*Use only home made seitan/'sour cream'/'mayonnaise'/whatever other alternatives
*bake bread at home
*only ever have home made cakes/cookies/snacks of any kind
*no pay tv
*we don't give each other gifts for any occasion
*dry laundry outside unless its really raining
*always take [homemade] food with us when we are going out for more than a few hours [husband gets very hungry and gets very grumpy when he's hungry, but knows I won't let him buy any food while we're out]

I'm sure there's way more but that's all I can think of for now! : )

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I grew up pretty poor and doing a lot of things cheaply comes naturally to me. Like it never even occurred me to PAY someone to dye my hair. Dude! $7 for a box of hair dye is already expensive enough!

Actually, part of why I don't dye my hair anymore (and haven't for many many years) is that dye was too expensive.

I've been trying to make changes recently to save more money. We're on one income right now and it gets kinda tight towards the end of the month, so. Some things I've done recently:

- switched ENTIRELY to cloth towels rather than paper towels. We started moving this direction a long time ago but finally cut the paper towels off entirely 6 or 7 months ago.

- drinking less coffee out of the house (1 or 2 times a week instead of 4 or 5 times a week) and just getting plain coffee rather than a fancy drink.

- drinking more water and less everything else.

- eating more cheap greens and fewer more expensive vegetables.

- eating WAY less packaged food and going out to eat way less frequently.

- only buying used clothing for my toddler. There is NO reason I can think of that I should shell out $20+ for a onesie that he'll wear for six months and then grow out of when I can spend $0.50 buying the same item used. (I already bought almost all of my clothing used, and infrequently.)

And I'm getting ready to start growing some of my own food too.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

graffitipassion wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
-I'm going to start a raised bed garden, and grow the things I eat most - kale, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, etc.

Here's a good article about which vegetables are worth growing and which ones aren't. Lettuce is a good one!

http://lifehacker.com/5611860/stock-you ... han-to-buy

Oh, handy! I might just try multi-colored carrots for fun, but regular carrots are super-cheap, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm going to start mining this thread for ideas because I'd love to be more thrifty.

things I do:

-quit dyeing my hair
-cut my own hair (8 years! but I need to figure out how to do so with my current haircut)
-Diva cup (seriously. I would like to calculate what I've saved since I got it; I feel like such a smug mustard every time I walk past the tampon aisle.)
-we keep the heat pretty low and have lots of blankets around
-Mr. Spork is a crazy person about saving on electricity - everything in the apartment that draws power even when it's "off" (think those little standby lights on tv, computer monitor, whatever) is plugged into a power strip that gets turned off while we are sleeping/not home
-I've been wearing the same work shoes since I started the job - 2.5 years
-wear my work uniforms over and over for a month or more before taking them to the laundromat
-get gift cards for xmas/bday and save them for when I need clothes, which is not often
-switched to bar shampoo - lasts a long time, and I don't need conditioner when I use it.

I need to do more savings with groceries and cleaning supplies and such.

Hair dye people: when I did dye mine, I got it at Sally Beauty Supply. It works out to about $4.50 each time, cheaper than the $7-$10 stuff in the box. Less if you have short hair and don't need a full 3oz color each time.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:30 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I used to go to a training school to get my hair dyed (waaay cheaper than a normal salon), but that's out, now. Can I use a box over the salon color and not fork everything up?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I need tips on making bread. Every time I make it, it comes out too thick for my taste. It also gets hard in a day, which I hate, because it is just me and my boyfriend. Any tips?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

KarynMC wrote:
I used to go to a training school to get my hair dyed (waaay cheaper than a normal salon), but that's out, now. Can I use a box over the salon color and not fork everything up?

I've done it. Find something that's as close as you can to the color you normally get done, and follow the directions for roots + touch up. If the color is close and your hair usually takes color fine, it will be no problem.

It's trickier if you're going much much lighter than your natural color though.

For reds rinse in cold water at the end of your shower (post shampoo) to slow the fading. Seriously, my color would last 3x longer. And BAM the second I would forget/skip the cold rinse...

Also for reds, avoid Feria like the plague. It bleeds like a bisque. HATE.

*disclaimer: I am not a colorist, have never taken any sort of cosmetology classes. All my knowledge was gained through trial and error of dyeing my hair for 10+ years.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:05 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

graffitipassion wrote:
Our faucet leaks when we take a shower, so I put a bucket underneath to catch the water. I then use that water to save money on watering the free lettuce seeds I planted outside.

The government totally advised us to do this during our drought, so I don't think it's weird at all.

I need more tips to save money. I blow a lot of it on cookbooks, even though I'm also a library fiend.

One I can think of:
When I last moved house, I would take all the old coca cola etc. boxes from work and use them as my packing boxes. I don't have a car so I'd just take 2 or 3 home with me everyday on the bus until I had a nice collection.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:18 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've just realised how terrible I am with money. I spend WAY too much money on junk food/take away.
In the last month I spent over $127 on junk food alone!! :S

Then I never have any money to buy clothes and other things I NEED.. gahhh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

gooberboggle wrote:
I've just realised how terrible I am with money. I spend WAY too much money on junk food/take away.

This was a big one for me, being too lazy/tired to cook after a long day of work and overspending on takeout or restaurants, while letting my fresh produce waste away at the same time.
Now when I go to the market I immediately wash and chop everything up and freeze it all in ziplocks. I also blend my greens for my smoothies and freeze them in ice cube trays.
Also, one Sunday a month or so, I make big batches of easily usable foods, like a triple batch of beanballs, chickpea cutlets, tempeh burgers etc. and it all goes in the freezer. It's so much cheaper than eating out, and just as easy and quick as cooking fake meats. It may be a teeny tiny bit less healthy to eat frozen veggies instead of fresh, but it was that or rotten veggies anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:18 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'd also like to know what recipes the bread bakers here use. I guess I have the opposite problem of newsie15 in that my bread always turns out too crumbly / not dense enough to use for sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I would love to figure out how to send gray water outside to the garden instead of the sewer. And collect rain water from the roof for the garden too. We just had a big rate increase on water, so the idea of turning the hose on to water things outdoors doesn't make my wallet very happy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 am 
Naked Under Apron

designedtobekind wrote:
graffitipassion wrote:
designedtobekind wrote:
-I'm going to start a raised bed garden, and grow the things I eat most - kale, broccoli, lettuce, carrots, etc.

Here's a good article about which vegetables are worth growing and which ones aren't. Lettuce is a good one!

http://lifehacker.com/5611860/stock-you ... han-to-buy

Oh, handy! I might just try multi-colored carrots for fun, but regular carrots are super-cheap, anyway.

and here's a super great site that has tons of information on home growing awesomeness (from Cornell University): http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homega ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:38 am 
Naked Under Apron

bofiek wrote:
I'd also like to know what recipes the bread bakers here use. I guess I have the opposite problem of newsie15 in that my bread always turns out too crumbly / not dense enough to use for sandwiches.

we halve the recipe for Dave's Killer bread and don't use a bread machine. here's his recipe http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?pa ... recipe=122 and here's what i do to make this bread for my spouse ('cause i'm xgfx):

ingredients:
3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten
¼ cup sugar
2 tsp dry active yeast (we love red star yeast the most!)
1 cup & 2 tbsp very warm water
2 tsp molasses
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt

equipment:
- 2 small mixing bowls
- large mixing bowl + lid
- bread pan + clean, damp kitchen towel

directions:
place the very warm water in one of the small mixing bowls. stir in the sugar & the yeast – set aside for 5 minutes until it’s nice & bubbly and all “activated”. place 1 ½ cups of whole wheat flour in the large mixing bowl along with the molasses & oil. leave it alone until the yeast is ready to go & then pour the sugar-water-yeast mixing into the large bowl. combine well & stir slowly for 5 minutes. the consistency will be similar to pancake batter. once the “sponge” is combined well, cover & let it rest in a warmish place (i leave it out on the counter – but keep it away from drafts) for 1 hour. before you put the whole flour away, go ahead & mix up the other 1 ½ cups of flour + vital wheat gluten + salt in the small mixing bowl. set aside. when your “sponge” has vegged out for an hour, uncover and add in the flour mixture from the small bowl. combine with a wooden spoon to form a dough (sometimes you may need a little more flour if it’s too sticky, if it’s too dry add in a little warm water, just 1 tbsp at a time or so). drop the ball o’ dough out on your lightly floured countertop & knead the dough for 5 minutes. that’s 5 minutes – and stick with it! don’t skimp on the kneading (it’s my favorite part!)!!! leave the ball o’ dough on the counter & cover it with that damp, clean kitchen towel. let the dough rest for 15 minutes. after it’s rested – roll it into a log (i also drop the log on the counter a few times and give it a good pat/spanking to get all the air bubbles out) to get the air out. lightly grease your bread pan & place the log o’ dough into the pan. cover the bread pan with that clean, damp kitchen towel & let the dough rise in a warmish place until it starts to peak just over the top of the pan (usually about 45 minutes or so). once the bread is peaking the top of the pan preheat the oven to 350. uncover the bread just before you place it in the oven. bake on 350 degrees for 35 minutes. remove from oven & pop the bread outta the pan. mmmmmmmmmm!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next