| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [NYC] bikes (a.k.a. suicidal tendencies)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
Joking!

Just kidding...it's not completely suicidal riding a bike in new york, right? Right? This coming from the person who almost got hit by a truck taking a left turn into me and then immediately after almost doored in a span less than 20 seconds on my way back from the post office. Anywho. I'm assuming there are enough bike nerds on here in New York to justify a thread, but maybe I'm the only nut bag.

Is anyone doing the Cranksgiving alley cat this year? http://cranksgiving.org/2010/index.html
Seems fun and low key and it's to feed the homeless for Thanksgiving, which I think is great (I grew up working in a soup kitchen on Thanksgiving....because I worked in a soup kitchen every weekend, since my mom ran it and she was too poor for babysitters, probably because she ran a soup kitchen).

Post subject: Re: [NYC] bikes (a.k.a. suicidal tendencies)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:46 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Oh my god I had my first biking in NY experience this past weekend. I almost died TWICE, but only one of those two was really close and involved a red light and the Brooklyn bridge and a BMW.

In conclusion:

1) Next time I bike in NYC I will obey more traffic laws, even if that means making guy I am dating obey more traffic laws. I mean, yeah.

2) I think biking in NY was scarier than biking in Portland.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:56 pm 
Joking!

pastabake wrote:
Oh my god I had my first biking in NY experience this past weekend. I almost died TWICE, but only one of those two was really close and involved a red light and the Brooklyn bridge and a BMW.

In conclusion:

1) Next time I bike in NYC I will obey more traffic laws, even if that means making guy I am dating obey more traffic laws. I mean, yeah.

2) I think biking in NY was scarier than biking in Portland.

Biking in Portland was scary??? Portland was the easiest place I've ever biked.....but maybe that's because I bike in New York daily. I biked the Tour de Bronx yesterday, that was kind of crazy, none of the cars up there had any patience whatsoever, which is kind of a problem when you have to wait for a thousand bikes to go by. At one point we biked on the highway!!! They closed one side for the tour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

S/he didn't say biking in Portland was particularly scary, s/he said biking in NY was scarier than biking in Portland. The degree to which biking in Portland was scary was not indicated but I'm assuming s/he was trying to say that it's a big change to bike in Portland and then bike in NY. In any case, biking in Portland is awesome but it can be scary at times when motorists don't watch where they're going.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

pastabake wrote:

Yeah, be careful at there. The new crackdown on cyclists IS REAL. (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/nyregion/22bike.html)

My friend was riding on the sidewalk (which I 100% hate and will tell crassholes to get off the sidewalks with their bikes) and cops sped down one-way streets the wrong way to grab her. It was incredibly excessive. (And then it all ended with a night in jail.)

panda wrote:
Is anyone doing the Cranksgiving alley cat this year? http://cranksgiving.org/2010/index.html

It's certainly more low-key for an alley cat, but there are still the regular alley cat folks who are in it to win it.

IsaChandra wrote:
biking in Portland is awesome but it can be scary at times when motorists don't watch where they're going.

They're just checking out each other's awesome "Share the Road" license plates, right?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:58 pm 
Joking!

I guess the voice in my head read that sentence in a way that sounded like she was saying Portland was scary, but yes, New York is scarier than Portland....it's probably scarier than most places except for DFW, LA areas.

I've done alley cats before, but only in other cities, so it will be a nice one to start out with here. I'm not even going to worry about actually winning with my piece of shiitake single speed that desperately needs a new bottom bracket against some 5 pound super fast bike.

And yeah, riding on the sidewalk equals pfft thumbs down, along with salmoning and blowing through red lights.....i will admit I sometimes go after I've looked and made sure there aren't any cars, which is just as illegal, but not completely asshole-ish.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

panda wrote:
And yeah, riding on the sidewalk equals pfft thumbs down, along with salmoning and blowing through red lights.....i will admit I sometimes go after I've looked and made sure there aren't any cars, which is just as illegal, but not completely crasshole-ish.

I'm guilty of checking to make sure it's safe (no cars, no pedestrians) and rolling through a light. If I get a ticket, well, I'd deserve it.

A friend called my office today (while stopped by a cop) to ask if she could be charged with reckless endangerment for blowing through a red light. Yes, yes you can.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm 

I mean, I almost died twice during my wknd of biking in NY, and I almost died once during four years of biking in Portland and it was the fault of slippery road.

So, I mean, in general Portland biking wasn't scary, but it had its moments.

Edit: How many times can I type I mean in two sentences? I mean, really.

Last edited by pastabake on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Portland has it's own unique brand of crazy biking: The Biker Without Lights.

I was amazed by how dark the streets were at night compared to NYC. And, how many cyclists refused to use lights. I was expecting someone to t-bone me at an intersection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 am 
Joking!

Whoa really? I never witnessed a lot of people without lights while I was in Portland.....at least not that I saw (get it?). 'Course I was staying in an area that seemed like it was full of people who are very serious about their bike safety, the NE Alberta area....I think (am I getting that right?) so maybe that's why.

I think most people who bike here have near brushes with death on a daily basis....maybe more like on an every 10 minute basis, especially if they don't follow the rules. It's only a matter of time until I witness one of those dickwads blowing through a light get slammed by a speeding cab. Which I call them dickwads, because they are that, they endanger themselves, they ruin the life of whoever it is that hits them, they endanger anyone around who could also be hit by swerving cars, debris, etc. and they traumatize the people who have to watch them die and get torn into pieces. Actually now I'm getting angry thinking about it along with all the jerks that bike the wrong way, bike on the sidewalk, also refuse to use lights, ooooh it's making panda anguuuhrrryyy. And the people who obviously bike slower, but every time they catch up when I'm stopped at a light they go around me and stop right in front of me and force me to go out into traffic to pass them every time! Sometimes I want to tell them that if they cut me off one more time I'm going to smack them upside the head with my u-lock......which I would never do for anything other than maybe someone trying to mug me or something, but still, I want to say it sometimes, but I also don't because I think it would be an unnecessary spewing of negative verbal diarrhea out into the world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:03 pm 
Joking!

I actually wore a helmet today. I never wear my helmet...I guess it's my one safety infraction....although I kind of have the same mindset about helmets as cyclists in Europe. But so many people have scolded me this week for not wearing a helmet, it made me superstitiously paranoid.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got this impressive black eye after I just moved to New York and was riding my bike, a car full of obnoxious dudes turned a corner too tight, hit the back of my bike and slammed my face into a mailbox. I broke my glasses so I had to walk my bike home.
I'm pretty sure it was deliberate because they drove off laughing.

That was three years ago though, and nothing like it has happened since. I did ride into the back of my friend's bike once though, I came off and gouged my forehead on the curb, it had a flap hanging off and he stuck it back on my face with his thumb and I went to get it stitched up, by the time I got there it was as good as new and didn't need it. We said it was our Superior Vegan Healing Powers that fixed it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:46 pm 

OW, that sounds like no fun.

The only place I've run into a maliciou driver was Pittsburgh, PA, where some dude threw a (full!) can of beer at me and told me to get a forking car.

THANKS, MAN, I will definitely listen to your advice now that you have thrown something at me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm 
Joking!

ugh. it does get tiring biking here, but i wouldn't trade my bike for anything and i was also thinking the other day that I love that I have so many places to bike all the time, every day. If I lived in a smaller city where everything is really close together and I also wouldn't have as many places to go/be as busy or even a bigger city where everything is really spread apart I wouldn't be able to or have as many opportunities to bike as much as I do. I love it. I love that I have no real need for a car within the city, it would be nice to have to leave the city on occasion but I can get most everywhere I need/want to by train or bus, I love that it's faster and certainly cheaper than the subway, and I love everything I get to see simply because I ride a bike and am not either whizzing by in an isolated bubble in a car or stuck underground in the subway. I mean, did anyone ride over the williamsburg bridge this past Saturday (day before halloween)? There's no way to have seen the expansive view of the city and the gorgeous, bright crescent moon and to have taken it all in other than from the bike path.
And then there's also times when douche bags threaten you for telling them to stop walking in the forking bike path and you have to pull out your u-lock and be ready to smash some skulls in. I could do without those parts, but gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 pm 
Joking!

pastabake wrote:
OW, that sounds like no fun.

The only place I've run into a maliciou driver was Pittsburgh, PA, where some dude threw a (full!) can of beer at me and told me to get a forking car.

THANKS, MAN, I will definitely listen to your advice now that you have thrown something at me.

I always yell back for their fat asparagi to get a bike.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 am 

panda wrote:
ugh. it does get tiring biking here, but i wouldn't trade my bike for anything and i was also thinking the other day that I love that I have so many places to bike all the time, every day. If I lived in a smaller city where everything is really close together and I also wouldn't have as many places to go/be as busy or even a bigger city where everything is really spread apart I wouldn't be able to or have as many opportunities to bike as much as I do. I love it. I love that I have no real need for a car within the city, it would be nice to have to leave the city on occasion but I can get most everywhere I need/want to by train or bus, I love that it's faster and certainly cheaper than the subway, and I love everything I get to see simply because I ride a bike and am not either whizzing by in an isolated bubble in a car or stuck underground in the subway. I mean, did anyone ride over the williamsburg bridge this past Saturday (day before halloween)? There's no way to have seen the expansive view of the city and the gorgeous, bright crescent moon and to have taken it all in other than from the bike path.

True that!
I heart this city.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:09 am 
Joking!

I'm getting recommended for a job....that is quite frankly awful, my friend had this job for a year and a half and just quit so now they're looking to replace him. The person he worked with asked our professor for recommendations and he thought of me first and asked if I was interested. I said yes only because I am really desperate to get my credit card and student loans paid off and I might be able to demand a huge salary from them. If they don't give me a gigantic salary, enough for me to pay all my bills with and still pay rent and live a comfortable lifestyle, hopefully more than comfortable so I can buy extra stuff to get a business set up on the side so eventually I can leave that job and also so that we can get a one bedroom apartment and not have to live with roommates. But here's the downfall, other than the fact that I know the person I would be working with is a total lazy douche and that just makes the work even more grueling and the fact that they wouldn't pay my friend a better salary and that's why he quit....It's also a 2 hour commute from Brooklyn by train. If I'm working full time and commuting 2 hours on the train that will seriously take a gigantic chunk out of my biking time which will make me sad and also make me fat....fatter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:34 am 
FAYGO

panda wrote:
I'm getting recommended for a job....that is quite frankly awful, my friend had this job for a year and a half and just quit so now they're looking to replace him. The person he worked with asked our professor for recommendations and he thought of me first and asked if I was interested. I said yes only because I am really desperate to get my credit card and student loans paid off and I might be able to demand a huge salary from them. If they don't give me a gigantic salary, enough for me to pay all my bills with and still pay rent and live a comfortable lifestyle, hopefully more than comfortable so I can buy extra stuff to get a business set up on the side so eventually I can leave that job and also so that we can get a one bedroom apartment and not have to live with roommates. But here's the downfall, other than the fact that I know the person I would be working with is a total lazy douche and that just makes the work even more grueling and the fact that they wouldn't pay my friend a better salary and that's why he quit....It's also a 2 hour commute from Brooklyn by train. If I'm working full time and commuting 2 hours on the train that will seriously take a gigantic chunk out of my biking time which will make me sad and also make me fat....fatter.

Can you bike partway (like to the end of your borough) and lock up somewhere? I live in Long Island and do that when the weather's nice (on foot, I mean. I take the LIRR to the first stop on my line, then walk the few miles home).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:11 pm 

SeitanSaidDance wrote:
Can you bike partway (like to the end of your borough) and lock up somewhere? I live in Long Island and do that when the weather's nice (on foot, I mean. I take the LIRR to the first stop on my line, then walk the few miles home).

Yes, this is what I used to do when I lived waaaayyyyy out in Red Hook and worked uptown.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
Joking!

It's only a 15 minute ride to the water for me, I would ideally bike all the way up to Grand Central and lock up there but there's nowhere to actually lock your bike there safely long term like that. Wish they had bike lockers. And MetroNorth doesn't allow bikes on rush hour trains. I honestly hate the idea of having this job at all except for the money. I would never be home and never see the bf ever and I went to school with the person I'd be working directly with (already know he's a creep douche) and the person who's job this used to be is one of my best friends and he hated it and has told me horror stories of working with this guy....like he naps on the job and lets you do all his work kind of nightmarish. The bike thing is just adding to the pile of no. But the collection calls I've been getting this week and pile of bills I just got are saying yes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow looks like I'm pretty lucky on the near misses. I'm relatively cautious and don't blow throw traffic lights, but I'm in the camp that says it's fine to keep going once you've confirmed the coast is clear of cars or pedestrians. It's like jay walking, a birth right. Just really make sure the coast is clear.

And speaking of which, this weekend I totally rammed a pedestrian when traveling through a green light at a decent clip. Near the Manhattan K-mart traveling east on 9th St. and crossing 4th ave. Pedestrians always cross against the light there but usually they look up and adjust their speed to oncoming traffic. By the time I realized this girl wasn't watching, it was too late for me to anything but slow down. She noticed me right in time to see me hit her full on. Random girl if you're out there, I hope you weren't too bruised! You clearly weren't seriously injured, and you apologized to me. I was a bit too discombobulated and rode off without asking if you were ok. Sorry!