| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pole Dance
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:43 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Couldn't find a topic on this yet. I'm taking lessons. Its fun and an amazing workout, especially for the upper body. Anybody else?

Post subject: Re: Pole Dance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would love to but I lack coordination/rhythm/grace. I would totally look like Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:04 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

We have a few pole dance centers near my house and I considered it but I'm very, very out of shape and I thought it might be a bit too hard on my body as a starting point for fitness. Rock on, though! I'm so glad you're loving it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:48 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Well it seems like the fitness center I attend has all different levels of fitness/grace/rhythmn. I figure as long as you are having a good time it doesn't matter! Its nice too because they totally emphasis the exercise aspect as opposed to sexuality. We start each class with stretching and toning. I can already feel a difference in my upper body strength, but I haven't gotten to the point of doing anything too fancy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:10 am 
WELFARIST!

I have not done pole dancing (although when people are really skilled at it, it can be amazingly awesome) but I have done stripaerobics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I want to try that someday! It looks so skilled and graceful.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The class times at my gym are really inconvenient; I might ask if they would consider doing an open gym one afternoon a week. At this point I have mastered a few basics so I wouldn't mind just working at my own pace. Either that or I might just buy my own pole. $300 for a good quality one, same ones they have at the studio! My parents might give me strange looks when they come over though haha.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I just read the hoop thread because it was topped, which made me think to search for a pole dancing thread because my studio has both.. and here it is at the top.. funny coincidence. I have been pole dancing for about a year.. maybe a little less. The studio where I take classes also offers burlesque, striptease, hooping, as well as yoga, zumba and bunches of dance/cardio/fitness classes.. but I generally stick to pole classes since I get my cardio elsewhere.

Anyway pole dancing is seriously awesome and I just thought I'd point out that if you're even mildly interested, you should try it. Odds are you'll be hooked. When I first tried it, I had a Groupon and had always thought it looked kind of fun but I was VERY skeptical about whether I'd enjoy or stick to it long term- and now I have my own pole at home. The studio I go to has an absurd name (Oh My You're Gorgeous) and I was expecting everyone there to be actual dancers/strippers or for the whole thing to be in someone's basement.. but it's quite the opposite- there were soccer moms and college girls and average people like me. Skinny, medium and fat. And at least where I go, the instructors (there are a couple but the owner is the main pole instructor; she has a million certifications) really know how to modify exercises and moves to start at the bottom, possible for everyone, and work up as you get stronger/better. I was shocked how quickly I was able to do things I couldn't do the week prior, going to class only once a week with no practice in between! I eventually bought a pole for my house because it's so much fun.. and it's a super upper body workout that balances my lower body being worked so hard with ice hockey, which I play recreationally.

It does seem each studio/gym has their own focus.. some places seem more focused on the exercise/fitness angle and girls wear tennis shoes and do a lot of toning work.. others more the dance/sexy side where you where heels.. but the studio I go to is a nice blend of both- the sexy side makes it fun, and for a tomboy like me, a little me-time in front of the mirror sticking my asparagus out and getting used to doing things in an intentionally sexy way is so out of character and alien that it probably does me good. We wear heels and boots because it's fun, but sometimes we go barefoot if we're working on new moves. But it's not all just walking around the pole rubbing your hands in your hair either; there's so much strength and power involved in a lot of spins and holds that you'll definitely get sore and build muscle if you work hard.

For people who think they'll embarrassed- you might be, but so was everyone else when they started, and trust me, most people are paying attention to themselves, not you..

For people considering buying a pole for home- SO WORTH IT. There are two super reputable companies: X-pole and Platinum Stages. I probably wouldn't consider a pole made by anyone else; these are going to be safe and what's more- they are moveable.. I can put my pole up and take it town in 20 minutes with another person to help. They are tension mounted against the ceiling and don't leave marks or anything.. so I can take mine down when I don't want guests to see it or I need the open space. Plus you will have so many friends who want to jump on it when they see it.. Plus there will be awkward questions about whether your boyfriend/husband/partner "likes it" and then you'll laugh and tell them your husband actually tries to do moves on it too and that you have never actually "danced" for him because that would be too funny!

If anyone's in the Pittsburgh area, I highly recommend:http://ohmyyouregorgeous.com/ (Again, try to get past the website and name...)

She had to enlist the ACLU to fight for the right to open her studio; there was some pretty serious press coverage at the time. She's great.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:51 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

My friend just finished 2nd in the National Pole Dancing Championships and she is in crazy good shape! She teaches in NYC somewhere, it is a great way to exercise! Pics needed if you get into it!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm totally going to try it out when I can afford to! Just found a nice studio near mine! Check out this video!

http://www.butterflyfitnessstudio.com/page3.htm#q2
Looks fun!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Super fun!! I wish my studio did more choreo instead of focusing solely on spins and tricks.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:11 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I would probably do it if it wasn't so darn expensive and if I wasn't worried that I'd end up sad that I couldn't practice at home. I was looking yesterday and there is a studio near me that you can do unlimited classes for $50 for two weeks. I'm really debating it because my finances are way to tight right now, but I know that I need some exercise that is fun otherwise I'm going to get depressed just hanging out without a job at my house. Here's on of the teachers at the studio doing a routine. The music is cheesy, but she's AMAZING. I'm in awe of her strength:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlYSqnn0 ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:05 am 
Saggy Butt

graffitipassion wrote:
I would probably do it if it wasn't so darn expensive and if I wasn't worried that I'd end up sad that I couldn't practice at home. I was looking yesterday and there is a studio near me that you can do unlimited classes for $50 for two weeks. I'm really debating it because my finances are way to tight right now, but I know that I need some exercise that is fun otherwise I'm going to get depressed just hanging out without a job at my house. Here's on of the teachers at the studio doing a routine. The music is cheesy, but she's AMAZING. I'm in awe of her strength:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlYSqnn0 ... r_embedded

I am totally in awe of Anjel's work, she makes it all look so easy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got a 1/2 off deal on Groupon. I just need to find the time to go take the class! I am nervous but excited!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay! Have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 am 
Not NOT A Furry

ItsBoiling wrote:
My friend just finished 2nd in the National Pole Dancing Championships and she is in crazy good shape! She teaches in NYC somewhere, it is a great way to exercise! Pics needed if you get into it!

Wow! Those women are amazing. I once worked with a chick who competed (don't remember if she placed), and she did INSANE Cirque du Soleil shiitake on the pole. I don't think some people realize how demanding pole dancing can be!