| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The things we do to save money
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:58 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I like the Agave Bread from 500 Vegan Recipes. I make it with ww flour. It's my go-to sandwich bread, because it sliced fairly well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Mack the Spork wrote:
-switched to bar shampoo - lasts a long time, and I don't need conditioner when I use it.

I used regular bar soap when my hair was only a half inch but it dried it out horribly. I've never heard of actual bar shampoo- where do you find it?

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mushroom slave wrote:
Mack the Spork wrote:
-switched to bar shampoo - lasts a long time, and I don't need conditioner when I use it.

I used regular bar soap when my hair was only a half inch but it dried it out horribly. I've never heard of actual bar shampoo- where do you find it?

You can get them from Lush, but you may be able to get cheaper options too. I've only seen them in Lush though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

KarynMC wrote:
I used to go to a training school to get my hair dyed (waaay cheaper than a normal salon), but that's out, now. Can I use a box over the salon color and not fork everything up?

You definitely can. I did it for years and never had a problem. The only issue I have had is that I can't do the back by myself as I have short hair and use really dark dye. My neck and the backs of my ears end up looking rather interesting and I refuse to buy a mirror just to see the back of my head every 6 weeks. Unfortunately I am now partner-less so I have no one to do that part.

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

bigpinkjellybean wrote:
You can get them from Lush, but you may be able to get cheaper options too. I've only seen them in Lush though.

Thank you, I'm googling them right now!

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:37 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The Shampoo Bar I tried lathered nicely but seemed to hurt my hair.

I typically dye my hair (a natural-looking) red. I don't lighten my hair, and I'm a born brunette, so it usually ends up fairly dark.

I'll try doing it myself the next time. Maybe I'll wait until I see my mom/sister again and make them do the back... At least I went for a longer cut last time, so it can grow out for a while and look like it's on purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I bought a J.R. Ligget shampoo bar. It is lasting and lasting. It isn't as yummy smelling as Lush, but it's not bad. You can get it for $1.14 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/J-R-Liggetts-Bar-Shampoo/dp/B0016B3ZAE/ref=pd_sbs_bt_1

May get you on the shipping, though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:10 pm 
Ignore this!

Fee wrote:
I'm going to a job interview tomorrow with brown sharpie covering a bleached section of hair that the dye washed out of because I can't afford more dye. Here's hopin I land that jobble.

This thread has given me lots of ideas to save even more money, but this is still my favorite tip. I can't use it because my hair is already light-colored, but still. And covering a hole in one's tights by drawing on the leg with sharpie?! It's like sharpies are the duct tape of the new millennium!

Btw how did the job interview go?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Nummers wrote:
Fee wrote:
I'm going to a job interview tomorrow with brown sharpie covering a bleached section of hair that the dye washed out of because I can't afford more dye. Here's hopin I land that jobble.

This thread has given me lots of ideas to save even more money, but this is still my favorite tip. I can't use it because my hair is already light-colored, but still. And covering a hole in one's tights by drawing on the leg with sharpie?! It's like sharpies are the duct tape of the new millennium!

They're supposed to call me next week, but I'm sure they were dazzled. I didn't nervously throw up on anyone and my hair looked good and there was an office dog who nosed my crotch every couple of minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Fee wrote:
They're supposed to call me next week, but I'm sure they were dazzled. I didn't nervously throw up on anyone and my hair looked good and there was an office dog who nosed my crotch every couple of minutes.

Best of luck, it sounds like it went well. Any office with an office dog should be pretty awesome.

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:40 pm 
Ignore this!

Fee wrote:
Nummers wrote:
Fee wrote:

I think dogilingus during an interview totally means that you'll get a job offer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 pm 
Inflexitarian

glad you dazzled them with your sharp hair and other sparkling qualities Fee!

I just remembered another electricity/money saving thing I've been trying to do: sweep instead of vacuum. I kind of hate sweeping, but when I'm not busy with paid work, time saving electrical devices are more of a luxury than necessity. And I need vacuum bags now, so more money. Luckily I was given the vacuum cleaner, don't think I would have gone out to buy a new one in this economy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:34 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

-I haven't had a haircut since October '09. It would be cheaper to get one, though...my hair is so long I use a lot of shampoo and conditioner D:

-I eat beans and buy tofu 3-packs from Costco when possible, but I miss buying tempeh and VWG : (

-I'm trying to use all the clothes I have instead of buying new stuff just because I think "I have nothing to wear"

-We unplug all the things we can and when I'm alone at home, most of the lights are turned off : p

-I buy my nooch and quinoa in bulk : D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Even though I really wanted to, I didn't request to be a tester for the pie book. Going without pie to save money is will power.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

mushroom slave wrote:

silverlining wrote:
I bought a J.R. Ligget shampoo bar. It is lasting and lasting. It isn't as yummy smelling as Lush, but it's not bad. You can get it for $1.14 on amazon.

This! I can get JR Liggets at some Whole Foods locations - unfortunately only 1 of the 3 near me carries it. I may ask next time I'm in one that doesn't. They also have their own website, last time I was running low I bought about 8 bars at once and I keep them in the freezer for extra long lasting freshness (suggested on the site or label, I forget).

http://www.jrliggett.com/

It took me a while to quit conditioner when I first started using it. You know that smooth, slippery feeling you get from rinsing out conditioner? You will have the opposite of that with the bar shampoo. Your hair will feel almost "squeaky" clean, but if you have faith you will notice it is super soft when your hair DRIES. If you were here right now I'd make you pet my hair for proof. ;)

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mack the Spork wrote:
It took me a while to quit conditioner when I first started using it. You know that smooth, slippery feeling you get from rinsing out conditioner? You will have the opposite of that with the bar shampoo. Your hair will feel almost "squeaky" clean, but if you have faith you will notice it is super soft when your hair DRIES. If you were here right now I'd make you pet my hair for proof. ;)

Aww, I havent gotten to pet hair in so long... ;)

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:25 pm 
Nailed to the V

mushroom slave wrote:
Aww, I havent gotten to pet hair in so long... ;)

haha! I guess that's another way I save money, though not by choice. my apartment doesn't allow pets so I save money on the food, toys, and medicine I'd be buying for my 25 dogs if I could, and pet Mr. Spork's hair instead.

I love those delusional first few minutes of the day where I grossly underestimate my love of sleep. -lurky mclurkerson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Fee wrote:
Even though I really wanted to, I didn't request to be a tester for the pie book. Going without pie to save money is will power.

Same. It took a lot of will power.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:06 pm 
Like Anal, But Backwards

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
I've been doing surveys for amazon giftcards on opinionplace.com for about a year. The surveys are totally boring and you can only do one a week or so, but you get from $1-$3 in giftcards (I think you can get paypal credits too).

If anyone knows any other legit survey for money type sites, I'd love to know.

Does anyone know of any UK sites like this?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

zaqette wrote:
- Spend absofuckinglutely no more than $40/month on food (groceries + eating out + coffee). I get free coffee at school by setting up communal coffee twice per week, yay!
- Make my own tofu and soymilk (and okara, which makes a decent hobo breakfast cereal) and bread. So cheap and easy!!
- No cable, no landline

I'm jealous of your restrained food budget! I'm trying to be better. Making some sausages from scratch at the moment actually and I just made 6 lentil burgers. I don't even buy a lot of processed food, at all really. I think it's just because my pantry is overflowing with different ingredients, some which are more 'gourmet' (especially some things like Mexican groceries I just picked up, not that cheap in Australia). I also really want to start making soy milk, tofu and tempeh, my friend is in China and is going to see if she can get me a soy milk maker.

I'm teaching myself how to garden and I just bought a vintage Singer in meticulous condition off eBay so I can teach myself how to sew...but that might prove a bit more complicated than I thought! Luckily my boyfriend's mum is very talented so I think I'll be making use of that.

I thrift a lot and I've started buying things I can't find there from eBay (sewing machine, ice cream maker, waffle maker).

I make my own bread, ice cream, yoghurt...

I try to avoid the supermarket, however, I haven't been good at that lately.

I got really into making beans from scratch but my city recently flooded, we lost power for days and I lost all my soaked and frozen beans! Plus, I had to be organised and defrost them! I never really got completely down with that, so I recently chucked a bit of a tissy and bought a million cans of beans to have on hand but really, at about $1-1.50 a pop, it's not that bad, compared to packaged meat alternatives and the like.

I henna my hair.

I don't have a car.

Most of my cleaning products are from scratch (like baking powder and vinegar, soap nuts, a bit of liquid castille soap thrown in).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:28 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Everyone asking for bread tips, I just started last year and I really recommend just going to the library and getting out a good bread book to have a play. I recommend Peter Reinhart's. I'm sure there are lots of resources online too. I have made recipes from here:
http://www.breadtopia.com/
No-knead breads are a great place to start.
As for it going hard to quickly, I'll usually cut a loaf in half and freeze the other and I also make a lot of sandwich sized rolls like these:

Then I just pack them with some grilled seitan/tofu and salad fixings or just plain salad, jam, your general sandwich things, wrap it up and off I go!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:22 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We keep our heat around 62, my husband likes to turn it down to 58 when we're gone for more than 10 minutes.
I trim my dog with a kitchen shears between grooming, so she can go twice as long.
I save envelopes from credit card junk mail to reuse at school.
Leftovers never go to waste.
Cooking at home is more fun than eating out anyway, right?!

Most awesome money save this month- a local dealership was offering $4.95 oil change! With tax and such, we spent just over $6. I was so excited about that!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 am 
Huffs Nooch

Haircuts are so expensive. But I need one. I can eat my fringe. That's gotta be wrong.

But otherwise, don't eat out, don't drive much (I don't drive but as a family) and wear lots of jumpers and heating occasionally.

I get SO many clothes from Oxfam it's silly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i color my hair at home. i buy large bottles of dye and developer from the beauty supply store and mix it up myself cause it's cheaper than the boxed kits. i haven't gotten my hair cut in like 2 years. i give myself little trims but mostly i wear it up so it doesn't matter.

we eat out once a week, i cook mostly from scratch the rest of the time. we live 5 minutes from my husband's work so he does not have to commute and can come home for lunch most of the time.

i don't really shop...i mean i shop for groceries and baby supplies, but i don't really do "window shopping" cause it just makes me want to buy stuff. when i do buy clothes, a couple times a year, they are usually from target or h&m.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I forgot to say all the cloth we use in the house! Ez is cloth-diapered (which would save us a lot of money if I didn't find myself buying new cute diaper covers every other month or so). It's excellent to think that the same diapers that fit him when he was born will take care of him all the way up to potty training. And if we have another child, we won't need to buy any more diapers! Prefolds are also great for rags, clean up big spills, and I used them for my postpartum periods. I use the mooncup, and I love it!
We're also starting to use "family cloth", which is basically just using Ezra's cloth wipes on our butts. Toilet paper is one of those things I hate spending money on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next