| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 660 Curries
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just bought this book because it is massive and filled with lots of awesome looking recipes! It's not vegan, but over half the book is vegetarian and vegan recipes. I know some other people have mentioned it here, so I figured I'd start a thread where we can talk about what recipes we've tried because the book is so huge!

Post subject: Re: 660 Curries
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, i just checked it out of the libary. i haven't even opened it yet, but excited!
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:15 am 
Cranky

I <3 this book so hard. It's the sole reason why I'm saving up to buy a food processor!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:18 am 
Tofu Pup

I bought this cookbook a couple of months ago - was so excited that I went to 2 Indian stores and spent much $$$$$ on spices, rices, lentils, etc, etc. I was out of town when I bought it so I'm glad I was in a city where I could do that. When I got home, I vacuum sealed everything, and now I know that it will be good for years! (And thank goodness that trip was made in a car!)

My first recipe was the stuffed baby eggplants - and they were delicious. However, the rest of my family was not quite as crazy about the seasoning as I was, so I ate the entire thing - every single day for several days.

There are still many, many recipes that I am going to make from this book. I don't mind eating the same thing for lunch so it won't be a problem if I have ALL these great curries to myself! If you have a family though, it may take awhile for everyone to adjust to the many wonderful spices in these recipes. Our background is German, and I don't think anyone would say that German food is highly seasoned. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Do y'all make the ginger and garlic purees? It seems so fussy to me to make 1 cup of puree and then only use a tablespoon or two of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:06 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

660? amazing.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:08 am 

mollyjade wrote:
Do y'all make the ginger and garlic purees? It seems so fussy to me to make 1 cup of puree and then only use a tablespoon or two of it.

i was just reading the intro, and I don't think I'm going to do that. I can't imagine it would stay good for as long as it would take me to use it. I guess I will just mash up ginger and garlic with my mortar and pestle as it comes up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

One recipe (I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but I would know if I saw it) in the book has singlehandedly made me like moong dal. Every moong dal recipe I'd tried making before tasted like what I imagine would happen if I added the contents of an ashtray to a perfectly good curry. It's been a while since I cooked from this book, but I've tried several recipes from it and liked them all. So many of the recipes are either vegan or extremely easy to veganize.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I want this.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:38 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have made dozens and dozens of recipes from this cookbook, and it is truly amazing!!!!! I can't recommend it enough! So many vegan and/or veganizable recipes, it's crazy. Not just main dish curries, but appetizers (samosas!), vegetable and rice sides, chutneys, pickles, raitas, and desserts. He does a great job of giving explanations and definitions if you are newer to cooking Indian food, too. Should've added 6 more curries, though. Just sayin ha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I must have this cookbook you speak of!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
mollyjade wrote:

i was just reading the intro, and I don't think I'm going to do that. I can't imagine it would stay good for as long as it would take me to use it. I guess I will just mash up ginger and garlic with my mortar and pestle as it comes up.

this and the generous use of fresh curry leaves is why i haven't used my copy much. i've made a few things from it though, and they were delish! i keep forgetting i have it. i should make something out of it soon..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 pm 

yay! all the positive reviews are exciting. i can't wait to cook from it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 am 
Tofu Pup

About curry leaves - I was wondering if I'd find these. After I got home from buying all the spices (in Denver), I had to make a short trip to Dallas to an Indian store to purchase the leaves.

Now here's my point -these leaves CAN be frozen, but you MUST leave them on the stems. I cut the stems into sections so I had about 8 or so curry leaves on each one, and then put them into a small plastic bag. I put all the small plastic bags into one larger one, and into the freezer they went.

I wanted to try another recipe from this book today or tomorrow, so it's nice to know I have all these spices and seasonings either tucked away in jars or in the freezer so I don't have to drive anywhere in the snow and ice!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:43 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Just in case you guys are interested, this http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=120333&highlight=curries link will take you to another board, where an in depth discussion takes place on this book. The author himself chimes in quite a bit! Lots of recipe reviews.

It's not a vegan board, but they are very welcoming to all food persuasions. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

That thread is great, Angelina. The love all the author's comments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:52 pm 

pinemeadows wrote:
About curry leaves - I was wondering if I'd find these. After I got home from buying all the spices (in Denver), I had to make a short trip to Dallas to an Indian store to purchase the leaves.

Now here's my point -these leaves CAN be frozen, but you MUST leave them on the stems. I cut the stems into sections so I had about 8 or so curry leaves on each one, and then put them into a small plastic bag. I put all the small plastic bags into one larger one, and into the freezer they went.

I wanted to try another recipe from this book today or tomorrow, so it's nice to know I have all these spices and seasonings either tucked away in jars or in the freezer so I don't have to drive anywhere in the snow and ice!

i bought a big thing of fresh leaves and dried them. they smell the same fresh and dried and while i'm sure there's a difference my curries have tasted really good, so it should be ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:53 pm 

Angelina wrote:
Just in case you guys are interested, this http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=120333&highlight=curries link will take you to another board, where an in depth discussion takes place on this book. The author himself chimes in quite a bit! Lots of recipe reviews.

It's not a vegan board, but they are very welcoming to all food persuasions. ;)

oooh! neat! thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

Man, you guys! I really don't need another cookbook! But I'm kind of sold.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:

+1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Efcliz wrote:
vijita wrote:

+1.

Yeah, I just ordered three cookbooks and am now eyeing this one. Maybe I can convince the library to buy it. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:46 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My friend has this book and loves it! She made me a cashew curry from it and it was delish. It's been on my amazon wishlist for a while! I need to get it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

mollyjade wrote:

What you don't use, portion it out, and freeze it. It will be ready for you when you make another recipe.

This is an excellent cookbook if you belong to a CSA. I finally found a way to use turnips that I like in Turnips with Garlic and Black Cumin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:29 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

mollyjade wrote:

I buy pre-made ginger garlic paste at a local Indian grocer. It was $5 for a 16 oz. jar of it. Fresh food purists will cringe at this admission, but it makes prep for Indian (and Ethiopian, and Chinese, and Vietnamese, &c.) food a hell of a lot faster when I don't have to peel and mince/puree cloves of garlic and chunks of ginger every time. Since nearly all recipes that include ginger also include garlic, and I cook with both of those ingredients constantly, I use it literally every day.

Also, I desperately need this book. What a great resource to warm you up in winter!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:18 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

the aloo palak is killer!!!!! so cheap and easy to make, i can't even believe how delicious it is, seriously.