| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caribbean Vegan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:34 pm 
FAYGO

Anyone else have Taymer's new book yet? Looking forward to it? I love the conkies and cou cou and Bajan soup with dumplings and so many other recipes. What are your favorites? What are you looking forward to most?

Post subject: Re: Caribbean Vegan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:51 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I don't have it, but it's been on my wishlist for awhile now!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:49 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I don't have it, but we have the same publisher and I have been promised a review copy from them, and she'll get one of mine to review once its done. I am very excited that I will get it and so is my friend whose family is from Barbados.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:56 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Definitely looking forward to it, all the photos I've seen have put it pretty high on my wishlist.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

DOUBLES. Doubles doubles doubles. With mango chutney and cucumber chutney in fluffy white bara. I really like the hearts of palm and tofu scramble, sauce chien, christophenes farci, curried potato salad, Caribbean split pea soup, everyday vegan ham, and Creole spaghetti. I have my eye on the creamy pumpkin soup and the Bajan soup with dumplings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Love, love the everyday vegan ham best vegan ham I have tried to date, then the eggplant & seaweed accras (aka Bajan fishcakes), rummy rum n raisin ice cream and coconut turnovers.

The entire book is so good it seems everything I try is added to my favourites list :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 pm 
Hail Seitan!

Supposedly one of the Barnes and Nobles here has this one in stock, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I'm so excited! I live in a very Caribbean neighborhood in Brooklyn but don't know how to cook a lot of the stuff here, so I am pretty jazzed to learn. Also, I'm kind of a doubles addict. nom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My tester copy came yesterday. It's pretty!

DOUBLES!!! My camera was stolen when I had these so I couldn't take any pictures but they were amazing. Also, scrambled ackee, aubergine akkras (these were the first thing I tested and they blew my mind), vegan ham, stuffed christophene, macaroni pie. The fat free stew was amazing for something fat free. Both the lentil and the beefy patties were amazing. There's still things I want to make too, a creole red bean dish, the lasagne, a couple of rice dishes and more I can't remember.

It's a whole new style of cooking for me, with some ingredients I didn't know before. There's no caribbean community where I live, you'd have to go to Birmingham. But I was amazed that I could get a lot of ingredients at the Indian shop. I don't know what I thought caribeban food was - just Jerk Chicken and stuff tasting of coconut mostly, but this book proved me wrong!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:15 am 
FAYGO

YES, DOUBLES. I wouldn't shut up about them when I came home from Barbados so it was awesome to be able to make them for myself. Also conkies. The ackee scramble was totally amazing. I have a can of ackee I'm saving for a special occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just ordered a copy. I don't know much about Caribbean food (I lived with a Jamaican girl last year, but she didn't cook much), but I'd been eyeing the books that have been popping up here recently.

I'm definitely liking the number of new vegan books covering styles of cooking I'm curious about but haven't really come into contact with. Take that, anyone who thinks my culinary repertoire is limited by dietary restrictions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:47 am 
FAYGO

Chipmunk wrote:
I'm definitely liking the number of new vegan books covering styles of cooking I'm curious about but haven't really come into contact with. Take that, anyone who thinks my culinary repertoire is limited by dietary restrictions!

Dude, seriously. My mother talks about sharing my vegan food a lot and when her coworkers get all "But what do you EAT?!" she gets up on her soapbox "Have YOU ever had a conkie? Or a taco with pineapple salsa? I didn't think so!" (they're mostly kosher and live in the suburbs so most of them haven't eaten anything more exotic than falafel. A few may have had curry once).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:57 am 

Yup. I remember when I was testing for AVK and I met up with some friends from years back who didn't know I was vegan. I got the seriously? and then the "Well what did you have for breakfast?" question, to which I which I replied, quite truthfully, "Cashew stuffed squash blossoms". They were surprised, to say the least.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:50 am 
Saggy Butt

Can anyone tell me about accessibility of ingredients in this book? Maybe someone in europe? I really want it but I'm afraid I won't be able to get a lot of stuff and I'll be left crying over how delicious the recipes sound.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:28 am 

Mine just arrived and from leafing through, I'm going to say things like cassava and breadfruit might be a little more difficult to get my hands on. They do sell cassava on the other side of town, i.e. the part I never go to. Having tried it, I think I might just stick with more readily available root veg and sacrifice a little authenticity. I'll probably make the curried potatoes and pumpkin later. Everything I need is either already in my cupboard or arrived in my vegetable box this week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:42 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've seen canned breadfruit at Tesco Metro, but that stuff is kind of gross. The fresh ones I've seen at grocers in Brixton and Hounslow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:32 pm 

If you have Indian shops I think you'll be surprised at how much you can get there. I'd just ignored that stuff there,
but I have got breadfruit, frozen and fresh cassava, christophenes, scotch bonnets and white sweet potatoes there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 pm 
Inflexitarian

Efcliz wrote:
Yup. I remember when I was testing for AVK and I met up with some friends from years back who didn't know I was vegan. I got the seriously? and then the "Well what did you have for breakfast?" question, to which I which I replied, quite truthfully, "Cashew stuffed squash blossoms". They were surprised, to say the least.

:-). Want this book.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

Ooo, I'm excited to hear about this book! My hubby and I moved to the Caribbean in the last year, and I don't know what to do with a lot of the local food. Especially in a vegan way. I have a local cookbook, but yikes, I really don't know where to begin veganizing...

I'm going to put this on my Christmas wish list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

IslandHomemaker wrote:
Ooo, I'm excited to hear about this book! My hubby and I moved to the Caribbean in the last year, and I don't know what to do with a lot of the local food. Especially in a vegan way. I have a local cookbook, but yikes, I really don't know where to begin veganizing...

I'm going to put this on my Christmas wish list.

Taymer is on the PPK (her PPK name is Taymer, of all things) if you PM'd her questions she might have some ideas to help you along.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

My local Borders has a whole end-cap of vegetarian books now (in addition the the regular vegetarian/vegan shelf). Caribbean Vegan was promenently featured. I'm very excited to get this one -- lots of interesting recipes and I loved the photo insert with the step by step photo instructions for some of the recipes. I'm going to be good and put this on my Christmas list instead of buying it for myself, but I was definitely tempted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm 

I'm really excited to get this. I'm pretty sure there are some great recipes from my father's country that I'll be dying to try. I seriously would not have the patience to try and veganize that my self.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I'm gonna get it on Thursday, yo! Tofish here I come.
Niev, where's your dad from?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 pm 

Veglicious wrote:
Niev, where's your dad from?

Guyana (formerly British Guyana).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm bumping this thread because I now have the book. What should I make first?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm 

I haven't made anything yet, but my father was flipping through it and saw the Cous Cous recipe and got really excited. I imagine that would be great. It's the first thing I'm going to make.