| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calgary AB Canada?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Anyone out there?? Just moved to Calgary from Edmonton, not too far but noticed that Edmonton is represented here but Calgary isn't! Did a search for Calgary in the Square and nothing came up.... I'm driving around and learning the ropes down here, but I miss the wealth of secret knowledge I had about places to eat and shop in Edmonton. (Like the awesome vegan and gluten free Tofu Mango Apple Curry at Lemongrass Cafe, vegan red pesto I could buy at the Italian Centre Shop, Mill Creek Cafe making menu items with Daiya, you know, stuff that isn't advertised but is a vegan treasure hunt.)

So, Calgary, are you out there? Lurking on the PPK? Tell me a story about this city!

:)

Post subject: Re: Calgary AB Canada?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Sucks that you left Edmonton, as I have yet to meet any ppkers here yet!

However, I know there are at least 3 Calgary ppkers on here, who meet up quite frequently so I am sure someone will respond to this soon! They are teapot (teacup?), maggie muggins, and another (can't remember her ppk name and I don't think I am supposed to say her real name).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Go the Coup! LOTS! And there are a couple of Ethiopian restaurants in Kensington that are decent. Planet Organic carries Daiya.

There are definitely a few Calgarian PPKers! My parents live in Southern Alberta, so I make fairly regular trips. I'm not a huge fan of Calgary, but there is good stuff to be had with a little bit of hunting (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

vijita wrote:
Go the Coup! LOTS! And there are a couple of Ethiopian restaurants in Kensington that are decent. Planet Organic carries Daiya.

The Coup is amazing. I have a fierce addiction to their cashew yam burger and the chocolate torte. Budda's
Fusion (formerly Buddas Veggie) is also amazing and is the go-to for 'Chinese' food. There is also a place in Kensington that is vegetarian (maybe all vegan?) called Gratitude.

Also, the local versions of Planet Organic (not that I have a problem with Planet, I love it) is Community Natural (there are 2 locations) and this little place across from the Safeway at the Sunny Side LRT station.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Yay! I've been to Planet Organic to get Vegenaise, and I had a really memorable dinner at the Coup. Loved that place. I will try Ethiopian next, and I am noticing quite a few little Indian eateries in the NW by my house - must go and inquire. I'm also planning a trip out to Banff soon to eat at Nourish - I've heard good things. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yay another Calgarian! I'm not sure if there are any lurkers but like Robynn said there are myself, teapot and studio that live here. I'm not sure what part of the city you live in but as for health food stores there are 2 Community Natural Foods (the downtown one is better as they also have a cafe), 2 Planet Organics (the south location has Dandies!), a place called Amaranth (in the NW) and a little place in Kensington (local but expensive). You can buy Daiya and MimicCream at Community.
The Coup is the most well known veggie restaurant, Gratitude is vegetarian and ok, not my favorite place but decent. There's also a place downtown called Koi that serves some vegan dishes and they are super nice and accommodating. China town has a little hole in the wall called Veggie Fusion Express which serves mostly faux meats but Buddha's Veggie Fusion is better (at least it used to be, I haven't been back since they started serving meat).
I'm at work and trying to think of things off the top of my head, I'll think of some more stuff when I get home.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm 

I've had some delicious meals at Open Sesame, too! (It's a create-your-own stir-fry place, with a handy book listing the ingredients in all of the sauces).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:43 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Oh right, I forgot about that place and I was only there the other night. Just make sure you request the vegetarian wok if you go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:51 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hello!!!
Calgary is getting better with the whole veg scene. The girls already told you most of the stuff so I don't really have anything to add. Almost worldwide vegan bake sale time again though!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Thanks for all the solid gold suggestions! It's so nice to know there are others out there. :)

and... the worldwide vegan bake sale. Is there anything organized here? I would love to bake many things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi, Calgary lurker here.

One place that can be hit or miss, depending on what you order, is Veggie House. It is in a little mall food court downtown:
http://www.theveggiehouse.ca/league.php ... foID=63047
The Orchid Room also has an ok veg section to their menu:
http://www.orchidroom.ca/food.php

Welcome to the city!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

i always think the best strategy for veggie house is to order the special, which is 3 things from the steam table up front and rice. i really love the black bean sauce green beans and they often have them!

some indian food suggestions- there are a couple really vegan friendly veg buffets - maurya in kensington on monday nights, and pushpita (11 st and 12 ave sw) on tuesday evenings. those are both $13. i really enjoy the pushpita one which has slightly different spicing & types of dishes than i am used to seeing at most indian restaurants. i have also heard rumours of "vegan mondays" at wicked chili, which translates as 10-20% off food then? but i haven't been so i don't know for sure. their menu online clearly states what is vegan and gluten free which is nice though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:18 pm 

All you Calgary lurkers should come join us!
Another place is Higher Ground Cafe in Kensington; they have vegetarian Wednesday dinners.
The three of us organized the bakesale last year and are planning to do the same thing this year. I think I speak for all of us when I say that baking help would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:51 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes! We need more bakers this year. The bakesale won't be until April or May but we'll probable start planning soon.

There's also the Calgary Vegetarian Society, they host weekly and monthly meet-ups, although I've yet to go to one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:25 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Hello Calgary lurkers!

Good to "see" some more people here. For a while it seemed like it was just me, teapot and Maggie Muggins. And yes, we do meet up regularly and are planning to ROCK the bakesale (again!) this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:03 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Dear Calgarians, the bf and I are considering a move to Calgary or one of the surrounding cities. How easy is it to be vegan there? I come from a pretty vegan friendly city on Vancouver Island and have never really spent much time in Alberta. Also, is it easy to find a vegan friendly job there?? Thanks in advance.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16 pm 

You're now living in Victoria, right?

Victoria is far more vegan-friendly than Calgary, but Calgary's options are seriously increasing. I would really encourage you to visit before you make any sort of decision! Alberta ain't for everyone, but it can be great for some!

Calgary, like Victoria, is also pretty expensive rent-wise, though if you live in a suburb you can maintain a nice standard of living if you don't mind living in a suburb.

And since you come from VI, do you think you can handle an Albertan winter?

A shit-ton of British Columbians end up moving to Alberta because there are more jobs and the economy is more stable. It can be a bit of a transition (I don't think my BC/Californian-raised boyfriend could ever survive in Alberta, though I could/have) so tread carefully. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 pm 

Thanks for the quick response Vijita.

Yes I am currently living in Victoria. I definitely want to visit before making any decisions. It's just something that keeps coming up in coversation, so I figured I would entertain the idea instead of my usual response of NO.

I don't think we'd be living right in Calgary, probably on the outskirts. Our friends live in Carstairs, so staying with them for a while would be an option. After a few months of work for the bf, buying a house would be a feasable option.

I am not keen on any type of winter, so that worries me. A lot! I have never experience any sort of real winter, the blizzard of 96 (laughs uncontrollably) is the closest I've come.

I am not crazy about the idea as I enjoy living close to the ocean, have lived here my whole life and don't have any reason to go there other than the bf having a good job opportunity and me not having any really solid reasons to stay here. I have always wanted to live in another. I am just not sold on the idea of it being an Albertan city.

I am basically at my witts end with my current job situation and there is not many other options for me regarding employment here, unless I want to take a huge pay cut...I am still working on getting my GED/upgrading what I didn't finish in HS so it will be a few years before I have anything other than real work experience to land be a better or equal paying job elsewhere.

I figured who better than the ppk to reach out to for advice :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:04 pm 

yeah...I grew up in Lethbridge, 2.5 hours south of Calgary. I tried living in Calgary, and hated it. The city has an interesting feel to it, and I've come to believe you really have to try it to see if it's right for you, because I've had lots of friends both love and hate it.

I will say that in the past few years, Calgary has become a lot more tolerable for vegans!

I would probably consider living in Alberta again (though probs not Calgary) if my boyfriend wasn't such a westcoaster. But I do feel a bit more at home out here.

I visited a friend at xmas who lived just outside Calgary (there is a LOT of "outside Calgary"...that city will just grow and grow and grow!), and she loved her home/neighbourhood/standard of living.

The good thing about winter in Calgary, is although it does get bitter-cold, the warm winds can be counted on to clear our all the snow and provide a brief respite. I guess this is more accurate for further South, but Calgary enjoys its fair share of Chinooks. Less slush, like you "see here" when it "snows". :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:19 pm 

The vegan community in Calgary and area is growing at a super fast pace! Ten years ago there was one restaurant and very limited options for everything else. Now we have several restaurants, tons of grocery stores, meet up groups etc. We even have our own farm sanctuary called R.A.S.T.A. The job would depend on what kind of field you are in but everywhere I have worked has been very tolerant. I grew up outside Calgary in Okotoks and it has become super veg friendly as well. We did a vegan bakesale last year and kicked asparagus!
If you come to visit let us know and we will show you the sights!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:27 pm 

Thanks teapot!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:39 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hey Calgary folk!
We will be taking part in the Worldwide Vegan Bakesale once again this year and although we don’t have locations booked yet the confirmed dates will be, Calgary on Saturday April 23rd and Okotoks on Saturday April 30th. If anyone would like to help with planning or is interested in contributing their baking skills please pm myself, teapot or studio or you can email calgaryveganbakesale@gmail.com. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm 

Calgary lurkers come back! We are planning a meet up next Sunday at 6. Is anyone interested in joining us? we are going to do some bakesale planning and order some vegan pizza!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:48 pm 

I may have to keep bumping this thread until the Calgary lurkers reappear. Suit up, its bakesale time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Just a reminder to anyone who happens to be in the area, the Okotoks bake sale I this Saturday!