| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:55 am 
Nooch of Earl

Oooh, I just made those last week. I've been on a total muffin kick, but these: http://birthingbeautifulideas.com/?p=2920 were spectacular. Like sugared donuts, but they're muffins so they must be healthy, see? [obVeg: "butter" -> earth balance, "1 large egg" -> 1/4 c plain soygurt + 1 T cornstarch, "buttermilk" -> nondairy milk with a little vinegar]

Waffle maker: Like your rice cooker and (with different temperature calibration) your coffee maker, it is essentially a negative feedback loop with a temperature sensor. That little light is on when it's heating and the contents are <212F, and it turns off when they rise above 212F.. because that means the water has boiled out of the surface of the waffle, completing the phase change to vapor and allowing the temperature of the waffle to rise again (remember that bit from chemistry?). Of course, this says nothing about farther inside the waffle, where uncooked bits may remain. I usually go by my waffle maker the first time I make a new recipe of waffle, and after that keep a mental tally of "this is done a little before the light goes off" or "give it an extra couple minutes and then take it out" for each recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made tofu scramble with spinach for a potluck omni brunch yesterday. I've made this many times before and I love it but I was a little nervous if non-vegans would like it. I cut back a bit on the nooch (used 1/8 cup instead of 1/4) because lately I've been getting tired of noochy taste. Anyway, everyone loved it and there was none left. Most people took seconds and made the nicest comments and asked for the recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:00 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

queenofpainting:

The omelets are awesome, but I have to make them without black salt. I am super-sensitive to sulphur, and while I loved the taste when I made them with the black salt, my body hated me for several days afterward. (Now I just make them plain and they're still great!) I wouldn't worry if you can't find the salt, but it does give that "eggy" flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Oh. I love the scones. LOVE them. And the lemon poppyseed muffins. And the coffee chip ones. And cocoa raspberry. And... I think you get the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:05 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finally made the cinnamon rolls and they weren't nearly as time consuming as I thought they would be. They were even easier than the bagels which I have made a couple times. The downside is that I at way too many cinnamon rolls. Next time I am not making them unless I have 10 people coming over.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:36 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the English Muffins the other day. It was so satisfying to make my own from scratch. They were gone quite quickly too! Next time I make them I might roll them a bit flatter and cut them a bit wider.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:42 am 
Huffs Nooch

i was craving muffins for weeks and finally made the VB lemon poppyseed muffins with added blueberries and oh YUM! i uhm, made a double batch and ate half of that.....which means i ate a whole batch, but i'll keep calling my portion a half batch. because it was half of my batch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

annakarenina wrote:
queenofpainting:

The omelets are awesome, but I have to make them without black salt. I am super-sensitive to sulphur, and while I loved the taste when I made them with the black salt, my body hated me for several days afterward. (Now I just make them plain and they're still great!) I wouldn't worry if you can't find the salt, but it does give that "eggy" flavor.

this is really good to know as i am also super sensitive to sulfer! i can't even go into most hot springs without feeling nauseous and like i'm gonna faint.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

The tofu omelets have become a weekend breakfast staple around here. Yesterday mywife added some Field Roast apple-sage sausage to the mix. Heavenly!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:10 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I love this cookbook! My workday breakfast is the smoothie, I make the perfect pancakes every Saturday & Sunday morning, and the scrambled tofu with shiitakes and the individual hash browns are in the weekly rotation for dinner. I also love the omelette and the home fries.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thank you SO much to everyone who volunteered tips on how to make 'non-stick' waffles. The tips really worked!!!! I made the PB waffles today and just kept them twice as long in the waffle iron until there was much less steam coming out of the iron...and they didn't stick at all :) Thanks again

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was going to make the bakery style muffins with blueberries this morning but was out of soygurt. Then I decided to make the lemon poppyseed muffins, but discovered I had used up my lemons. Foiled! I ended up adapting the lemon poppyseed recipe by using an extra 1/4 cup of soymilk in place of lemon juice, leaving out the poppyseeds, and adding 3/4 cup of blueberries. It worked out just fine, and now I have delicious blueberry mmmmmuffins.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The morning casserole is SO GOOD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

bunniee wrote:
I was going to make the bakery style muffins with blueberries this morning but was out of soygurt. Then I decided to make the lemon poppyseed muffins, but discovered I had used up my lemons. Foiled! I ended up adapting the lemon poppyseed recipe by using an extra 1/4 cup of soymilk in place of lemon juice, leaving out the poppyseeds, and adding 3/4 cup of blueberries. It worked out just fine, and now I have delicious blueberry mmmmmuffins.

I hardly ever have soy yogurt but many of my fave muffin recipes call for it, so I always use a sub I saw somewhere on the old boards- basically microwaving soymilk with cornstarch to thicken. Seems to work great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:51 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm not much of a fan of breakfast foods, but I enjoy cooking so I make the waffle recipes all the time for my boyfriend. Even I'll eat the cornbread waffles. I really like the chocolate chip coffee muffins. They're so filling - such a delicious breakfast.

My boyfriend and I use the navy bean gravy to impress omnis. When we made it for Christmas with his (non-vegan) family, they ate more of that than the real meat gravy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:11 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

My fear of ruining crepes kept me away but i had to face the challenge; made the blueberry cashew crepes the other night. fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

That berry compote is amazing. I had people tell me that it was the best compote they had ever eaten

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I finally got this book! I made the herbed drop biscuits and navy bean gravy on Sunday with some gimme lean sausage. So tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:20 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I made the Bakery Style berry muffins last night. I used silken tofu as an egg replacer instead of the yoghurt because we can't get plain yoghurt here as far as I know and I had just the right amount of tofu on hand and thought, what the hell. I also replaced half the oil with apple sauce because I'm trying to do that in most of my baking now, I just don't need the extra fat at the moment!

They still turned out great even with my messing around! They get nice muffin tops.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

scrambled tortillas were nommy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I can prepare the omelette mix and cheesy sauce the night before, then quickly throw them on the stove in the morning? Even though this is a pretty quick recipe it would be so much easier to handle all the grunt work ahead of time. Doesn't look like there'd be anything wrong with it, but just in case someone had a negative experience I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:38 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I would actually prepare the omelets the night before, rather than just the batter. You can gently reheat them the next morning in a warm pan. And yes you can reheat the cheezy sauce, too. Might need to add extra water.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:17 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made Cinnamon Buns on the weekend, and they were amazing. I left off the icing, because I am just not that into icing, and they were perfect! I had some friends over for scrapbooking, and they both loved them as well. Cinnamon Buns may just be up there in the all time favourite food category!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:00 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Me too, dimsimkitty!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:35 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

This super nice old man that works with Boyfriend just gave us a metric fuckton of cherry tomatoes from his garden. He's vegan and can't have gluten, so I was thinking of using some of them to make the tomato rosemary scones (using some kind of gluten free flour) to say thanks. Can I just puree the cherry tomatoes to use as the 'tomato sauce' that the recipe calls for? What we call tomato sauce here is what Americans call ketchup, which doesn't seem right and always confuses me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next