| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Road Trip Recipes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi PPK. I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, figured I'd finally say hi/ help! Hopefully I posted this under the correct board.

I'm going on a road trip Wednesday! I need to stock the car for 2 people for a total of probably 30 hours. I'm planning on one "dry bag" (oat bars- definitely need a good recipe for these, pita chips, nuts, almond butter, bread ..) and one cooler (large hummus, carrots, jelly, i just made some seitan- what can i do with it? ..). Any idea how I can incorporate some vegetables in there? I'll also keep a couple plates, forks, knives and napkins in the backseat.

We will also be spending 3 days in a hotel in the middle of all this. I'm not opposed to eating out or stopping at a grocery store, but I obviously won't be able to cook in the room. I know the town has some good vegan places to eat, but i would prefer not to eat out all the time.

Basically I'm wondering what kind of homemade snacks you've had the most success with.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Road Trip Recipes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We bring some basics: PB&J, apples, oranges, carrots, celery, cold potatoes, nuts, pretzels. If we have leftover pasta with sauce we'll bring that and eat it cold. We also bring a thermos with museli and the little boxes of rice milk. We stop at Wendy's and get a plain baked potato and a garden salad if we want something hot. We also pack dried fruit: candied ginger, figs, pineapple, banana chips. We pretty much eat the whole time we're traveling!

Hope you enjoy your trip!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:00 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Since you made seitan, you could cut them into cutlets and put them in Subway sandwiches for something a little more filling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Muffins are usually good - especially lemon poppyseed or pumpkin bran
Trail-mix
Salsa and tortilla chips
Grapes
Potato bread rolls (super moist so I think they would be okay for a few days)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I always take too much for road trips. I tend to go overboard with cookies, but Boyfriend usually just wants savoury things like sandwiches. So I think that for our drive home for Christmas I might cut up things for sandwiches in advance and keep them in little containers, so we can assemble them on the road and nothing will get soggy.

I also bake chilli-soy marinated tofu for sandwiches and burgers, but Boyfriend has taken to eating it cold on its own. If I cut the slices thin enough, it's almost like jerky. So I'll probably make some of that to keep him happy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Erinnerung wrote:
I also bake chilli-soy marinated tofu for sandwiches and burgers, but Boyfriend has taken to eating it cold on its own. If I cut the slices thin enough, it's almost like jerky. So I'll probably make some of that to keep him happy.

yeah i was thinking about doing something like this with the rest of my seitan loaf.. it just has such an awesome flavor on it's own though. maybe i could slice it thin and broil to make it kind of jerky-like, and then cover it in a good marinade. there's a chinese place that makes vegan "spare ribs" out of seitan, just gotta come up with a sauce. that stuff tastes good cold, too.

i'm actually going to try to avoid making any cookies. i have chewy oat bars in the oven (hopefully they come out ok) right now, which i'll wrap individually in cellophane. and i made a 4-can batch of delicious hummus. got some tortillas.. i was thinking about some kind of a roasted root mash (i like cold mashed potatoes and all those root veggies are in season).

oh and i'll definitely make kale chips!

my omni passenger is going to roll his eyes so hard (:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

allisahn wrote:
my omni passenger is going to roll his eyes so hard (:

Not if he eats so much delicious vegan food that he physically can't move!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This is my answer to everything: chili! Chili is just fine when it's cold, so you can just pull it out of the cooler and dive right in.

Also: Tasty Bite. Little foil pouches of veg*n Indian food. It doesn't need to be refrigerated and you can heat it up under the hood of your car if need be.