| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need thank you gift ideas
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

Hi. I work at an animal shelter, and we recently opened up a spay/neuter clinic/cat adoption facility. This was mostly facilitated by a single board member and a handful of volunteers that I lovingly refer to as "The Cat Ladies". These women, all retired, have spent an endless number of hours at the clinic; painting, scrubbing, setting up, organizing, cleaning. If I had to guess, I'd say they've probably put in close to 1,000 hours of volunteer time just in that alone. Before that, they helped run what is now my job; taking care of all the cats.

I know they feel terribly underappreciated (and they are) so I wanted to do something to show how much I appreciate what they do/did. I need suggestions for how I can do something like this.

I thought of making food or something, but I don't know if any of them are diabetic, gluten intolerant, etc. I see food as complicated. I want to do something else.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: I need thank you gift ideas
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:06 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

walrus wrote:
Hi. I work at an animal shelter, and we recently opened up a spay/neuter clinic/cat adoption facility. This was mostly facilitated by a single board member and a handful of volunteers that I lovingly refer to as "The Cat Ladies". These women, all retired, have spent an endless number of hours at the clinic; painting, scrubbing, setting up, organizing, cleaning. If I had to guess, I'd say they've probably put in close to 1,000 hours of volunteer time just in that alone. Before that, they helped run what is now my job; taking care of all the cats.

I know they feel terribly underappreciated (and they are) so I wanted to do something to show how much I appreciate what they do/did. I need suggestions for how I can do something like this.

I thought of making food or something, but I don't know if any of them are diabetic, gluten intolerant, etc. I see food as complicated. I want to do something else.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Do you have a bit of money to work with? It could be nice to gift them with some sort of spa treatment--a massage or facial or something. Maybe you can even approach a place known for being community-minded and get them to donate some gift certificates.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:06 pm 
Dildo Queen

i second the suggestion for spa treatment, if you've got some money. or you could treat them all to dinner?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:43 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

You and the other employees taking them out to lunch or dinner would be nice - they would probably appreciate the time spent as much as the meal. Or maybe even a little party in their honor to say thank you - even just some snacks at the shelter and someone to give a nice thank you speech.

Do they have cats/pets of their own? Perhaps supplies for their animals would be appreciated.

Gift certificate to local grocery - doesn't sound too exciting but I know a lot of seniors prefer more pragmatic gifts. I got one once and used it to buy luxury food items I couldn't normally afford, so if though it's practical it can still be fun!

An honorary plaque in the new facility? Or, if you have a newsletter, a special article on all of their hard work. If they feel under appreciated, they might be thrilled with a public acknowledgement. Maybe a local business would make a donation in their honor?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You can never really go wrong with a nice mug with some treats inside - some nice tea, small gift certificate to a local coffee shop, maybe some dark chocolate or something. A former employer often gives handmade mugs purchased at the farmers market as thank yous, I have two of them from her and it's nice to remember how I got them when I'm using them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm 
Saggy Butt

You could make them t-shirts that say something like "proud to be a cat lady of..." whatever the animal shelter is. I think that would be adorable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Petunia wrote:
An honorary plaque in the new facility? Or, if you have a newsletter, a special article on all of their hard work. If they feel under appreciated, they might be thrilled with a public acknowledgement. Maybe a local business would make a donation in their honor?

I think these are amazing. It would be nice for them to see their names commemorating all their hard work, and it is something that wouldn't be too expensive to do - esp if you get a local business to donate the labor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I think the plaque idea is a great one!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks, all! I really like the plaque idea, but the t-shirt idea is cute, too. Whatever I do, I'll be paying for it out of my own pocket, so I need cheap. I know plaques aren't too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I love the plaque idea!

But I also think a little shindig to thank them might be nice. Just some light snacks--nothing fancy or expensive--and punch or something, have the other shelter folk all come out, and say a few words to thank them and then show the plaque that will be getting put up.

Appreciation, especially in numbers with having other shelter members be involved, would absolutely warm their hearts so much, I'm sure!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.