| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The no-sugar support thread
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Meggs wrote:
Anyone have any new suggestions for day two's meals and snacks? I'm more of a snackish/ mini-meals throughout the day person. Maybe hummus is in my future today. What were these rice thins someone was speaking of?

Rice thins are like rice cakes, I'm sure you guys would have something similar

I like them with hummus or tahini.

My favourite meals involve beans/rice or chickpeas/salad or mushrooms/salad with half an avocado. I find I am satisfied and don't feel the need to snack right away.

gunk wrote:
I'll also second pistachiorose's frozen banana suggestion - they really are like icecream, especially when you blend them up with a tiny tiny bit of non-dairy milk, vanilla essence, and possibly some carob or cocoa powder if you're feeling decadent. It's somewhere between a super-thick smoothie and icecream. Pieces of frozen banana are also just really delicious on their own.

Yup, frozen narnas make the best ice cream!

Meggs wrote:
I think they have the Mary's Gone Crackers at my local grocery stores... I'm sure they're expensive, but they make everything organic, vegan, gluten-free, etc more expensive. Forkers. Eating healthy should not be more expensive.

I tried some of the Mary's Gone Crackers twigs recently, they had an awful burnt taste :/ Super expensive too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm 
Bends forks with mind powers

Kitteh wrote:
I tried some of the Mary's Gone Crackers twigs recently, they had an awful burnt taste :/ Super expensive too.

Aww. I just ate a mini-bag of 'em! The "sea salt" twigs are my least favorite- they do kind of have a burnt taste. I like it ok, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 pm 
Chard Martyr

Gotcha! Yep, rice cakes. I'll pick some up with some hummus tomorrow! A new snack a day has been a good way to stay motivated! So I'll skip the crackers; these are way cheaper.

I'm diving into the frozen banana right now- I flavored it with some cinnamon before freezing-- it's really good!

I'm so, so, so grateful for the support and suggestions on this thread! Almost done with day two. Daytime is a breeze, but nighttime sucks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm 

One thing about the rice cakes- they tend to have a high Glycemic Index, which means they cause more of a spike in your blood sugar levels than would a snack with a lower GI. That may or may not matter to you, depending on why you're trying to give up sugar. My goal is to eat a low GI and low sugar diet as a way to manage PCOS symptoms, so it matters to me. With that being said, I buy them on occasion, because they're cheap and delicious with peanut butter.

Speaking of PB- last night I was craving sugar and I ate celery with PB instead. That might be my new after-dinner snack! It's totally a comfort food for me, and celery takes a while to chew, which is good when I'm snacking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

PB and celery is a great idea. I have to be careful with PB. I know it's wasteful, but I buy the individual packets because I tend to not be able to control myself around the stuff. So hummus might be a better option for me, which is still pretty good on celery, or carrots. Incorporating more raw vegetables in general is a good idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had carrot sticks and hummus today! Carrots are always cheaper than crackers/rice thins and healthier too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm 

Meggs wrote:
I buy the individual packets because I tend to not be able to control myself around the stuff.

Ha, I buy the tubs of fresh-ground for the same reason. Because it's all hardened from being in the fridge (and 'cuz it has no sugar), I'm not often tempted to eat too much of it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:44 am 
Chard Martyr

Ugh. Awful night last night. Couldn't sleep, ate... the usual. Stayed sugar free with exception to fruit, though.

morecuminthancumin wrote:
Ha, I buy the tubs of fresh-ground for the same reason. Because it's all hardened from being in the fridge (and 'cuz it has no sugar), I'm not often tempted to eat too much of it.

The little packets I buy have one gram, but no added sugar. If I had a tub of it, hardened or not, it would be history.

I need to get carrots, celery, and hummus. And either salad stuff or more wraps of some sort. Oh, and I'm going to cook butternut squash today, too. And vote.

And yes, I do have a banana waiting for me in the freezer for this evening already. It was that awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:00 am 
Kale Wreath

Meggs wrote:
Ugh. Awful night last night. Couldn't sleep, ate... the usual. Stayed sugar free with exception to fruit, though.

You resisted - go you!

This thread makes me so happy. I love how everyone is so into it! And it's nice to know how everyone is managing and sharing tips and stuff. When I'm out during the day doing schoolwork, I think to myself, "I wonder how they're doing right now?"

Today's update:

Day 3 - no problem! I know that the sugar cravings are going to hit me hard soon, but they haven't yet. I've been arming myself with lots of healthy food when I leave the house in the morning so I won't be tempted. I worry that I'm consuming too much caffeine as a replacement for sugar when I want a pick-me-up, but in reality I think I'm probably consuming close to the same amount but am now more conscious of it.

I found a German coffee substitute that is made from nuts and figs from this sweet little natural foods shop that I found here. I'm going to add it to my warm beverage repertoire for when I want something that feels like a treat but doesn't have sugar or caffeine.

Oh, I also wanted to mention to those of you who miss baking (I do too, but alas, no oven=no baking, and I'm getting used to it), why don't you try savoury muffins or biscuits? Here are two that I've tried and enjoyed:
http://tofufortwo.net/2009/07/24/savoury-muffins/
http://havecakewilltravel.com/2008/12/3 ... y-muffins/
The first recipe calls for 2 tsp sugar, but I'm sure you wouldn't miss much if you left it out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 am 
Chard Martyr

pistachiorose wrote:
This thread makes me so happy. I love how everyone is so into it! And it's nice to know how everyone is managing and sharing tips and stuff. When I'm out during the day doing schoolwork, I think to myself, "I wonder how they're doing right now?"

Me too! It's daytime now, so I'll be ok for the most part, I hope... I'm not used to eating how I am eating (mainly thinking out snacks that will help me stay away from that sugar) and it's weird, but I just keep reminding myself that it's part of the sugar detox and I'm eating healthy things instead of empty caloric sweets that leave me ravenous shortly after.

Ugh... very little sleep- it's going to be a long day!
How are you doing, pistachiorose??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:33 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had a rough night last night too. I wonder if the sugar withdraw causes some sort of insomnia? I normally crash in bed at 10pm but last night I was just laying there not sleeping until after 2am. I thought about getting up for a snack but I was afraid I would wake the baby and I wasn't actually hungry so I was just lying there. I rarely have trouble sleeping, so last night was a big surprise. I'll be joining you in sleep deprivation today Meggs, hopefully tonight is better.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:37 am 
Chard Martyr

Zoey wrote:
I thought about getting up for a snack but I was afraid I would wake the baby and I wasn't actually hungry so I was just lying there.

If I could do this instead of getting up, it would make me a very happy insomniac.

Problem is, you've got a little one to look after all day! I hope you have a good day, Zoey, despite the sleep deprivation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi!

I've been trying so hard to eliminate most sugar from my diet. I have rosacea, and find that when I eat too much sugar, my digestion is way off and red papules pop up all over my cheeks - even bananas are too sugary :( I've been considering going on an anti-candida diet, but the thought is so frightening.

Thankfully I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all, and I don't bake sugary stuff, but it's still really hard to avoid. I even tried to do a sugar cleanse (through a fb thing that jae steele initiated) last month for two weeks, but failed after 3 days. Of course, alcohol was on the avoid list :) My biggest downfall? Fresh muffins from the coffee shop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am 

mishka wrote:
Thankfully I don't have much of a sweet tooth at all, and I don't bake sugary stuff, but it's still really hard to avoid. I even tried to do a sugar cleanse (through a fb thing that jae steele initiated) last month for two weeks, but failed after 3 days. Of course, alcohol was on the avoid list :) My biggest downfall? Fresh muffins from the coffee shop.

Mishka! Fancy meeting you here! I'm Oatmeal Girl on VRF ;)

Totally hard to avoid! Sugar keeps popping up in places I don't expect. Yesterday I bought coffee at school and the soy milk they provide for creamer tasted super sweet. I don't know if they ran out of the stuff they usually buy or if they switched brands...I was so annoyed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oatmeal Girl! Hey!

shiitake - yeah. Milks. I've increased my almond milk intake recently without thinking about the sugar. Homemade almond milk is super easy and tasty, and sugar-free if you make it that way, but it's lacking in all those extra things like vitamin D and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:50 pm 
Chard Martyr

I'm still with the unsweetened almond milk. I can get it super cheap at a grocery near me.
Day three... so far so good.... but it's still daylight. I did successfully resist temptation to purchase snacky sugary foods at both grocery stores I went to, today-- yay.

Hummus, veggies, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, peanut butter, avocados, and wraps are in my future today... Good salad for lunch.

Mishka, I love your name-- my friend's family uses the word mishka a lot as a term of endearment. I adore it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:03 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

pistachiorose wrote:
Oh, I also wanted to mention to those of you who miss baking (I do too, but alas, no oven=no baking, and I'm getting used to it), why don't you try savoury muffins or biscuits? Here are two that I've tried and enjoyed:
http://tofufortwo.net/2009/07/24/savoury-muffins/
http://havecakewilltravel.com/2008/12/3 ... y-muffins/
The first recipe calls for 2 tsp sugar, but I'm sure you wouldn't miss much if you left it out.

Thanks! I've been wanting to pack savoury muffins for my lunches but had no idea which ones to make. i guess i'll start here. do you know i might have to make them in a rectangular tin though, since i have no muffin tins :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

cosmiclettuce wrote:
do you know i might have to make them in a rectangular tin though, since i have no muffin tins :(

You could make drop biscuits on a cookie sheet! Or, pick up some silicone muffin cups what can just sit on a cookie sheet?

Meggs wrote:
Mishka, I love your name-- my friend's family uses the word mishka a lot as a term of endearment. I adore it

So cute :) It's one of the few nicknames I've been able to stand.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm 
Hip Goiter

I loooove making drop biscuits with frozen broccoli and lots of nooch. Haven't in a while. I just throw ingredients together and it always comes up broccoli-y and cheesy.

I drink way too much unsweetened almond milk even when I eat sugar. I'm obsesseddd.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm 
Chard Martyr

RandiJM wrote:
I drink way too much unsweetened almond milk even when I eat sugar. I'm obsesseddd.

It's totally my beverage of choice. Well, other than Kombucha, but that stuff is too expensive to drink all day long.

So I worked out twice today to alleviate boredom and potential cravings, and now I'm eating a nice bowl of shiratake noodles with various stuff in it. Can't wait for my frozen banana! I just hope I sleep tonight. And I'm wondering how Zoey's day went?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:38 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I am doing good! I am sugar free! Please let me sleep tonight. I am feeling all amped up though so that is probably a bad sign. I am also giving up caffeine, since soda was my sugar of choice, so maybe some of my side effects are from that too? I am impressed that you are working out Megg, if I walk too fast I still get a headache so I am taking a break from exercise.

I am going to a potluck Thursday night and I was going to bake cupcakes to show how awesome vegan cupcakes are, but then I realized that I don't have the willpower to not indulge yet so I am going to take hummus and vegetables or chips.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:28 pm 
Kale Wreath

Day 4 has just begun.

I tried the nut/fig coffee sub last night, and it was quite nice!

My heart got minorly fractured last night, so I am feeling kind of bummed and not in the best of spirits. It is times like these when I stop caring about what I eat - and when I feel the need to 'treat' myself. So I'm going to go have a hot bubble bath now (at 1:30pm - I don't have a schedule today!) and read my new Japanese Zen cookbooks in the tub. And try not to think about how sugar usually makes me feel better in times like these :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:13 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

sorry to hear that, pistachiorose... but hang in there! try the banana ice cream, or make a smoothie with peaches and pears, it's to die for!

Zoey wrote:
I am also giving up caffeine, since soda was my sugar of choice, so maybe some of my side effects are from that too?

Could very well be. I had to give up caffeine recently and lit was hell...! The good news is it shouldn't last more than a few days, a week max. congratulations on giving up that soda :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 am 
Kale Wreath

cosmiclettuce wrote:
sorry to hear that, pistachiorose... but hang in there! try the banana ice cream, or make a smoothie with peaches and pears, it's to die for!

Any ideas for something warm? It's gotten colder here all of a sudden and the thought of anything frozen is not appealing :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 am 
Chard Martyr

Zoey, I hope you got some sleep! Congratulations on giving up soda- that has to be tough. I've never been a soda drinker, and wasn't a coffee drinker until grad school... I'll give up caffeine next, after this sugar thing. Coffee is ok, but not the same without all of my added sweetener! I hope the side effects you are having cease soon!

Pistachiorose- I'm sorry you're feeling bummed. What a great choice to take a bath instead. I think that is why I went and worked out last night even though I didn't really want to- it just takes my mind off of things (right now, "things" being sugary things!).

Cosmiclettuce is the best cheerleader! Everyone has such great ideas- peaches and pears? Sounds awesome.

Day three had a lot of temptations, but I made it through. Day four, here we go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 735 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 30  Next