| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: austin vegans!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I am coming to visit, February 19-22! Tell me what's good. Any good shows coming up? Are there places I absolutely have to eat? Are there any good art shows up? Does anyone have a bike I can ride? Will it be warm?

Post subject: Re: austin vegans!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:27 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

On the 21st we're going to see jimmy eat world with david bazan at la zona rosa. it's a small intimate venue so it should be amazing.
Lazy Smurf has a great list here of places to eat in Austin with info about what to order.
Link here: http://lazysmurf.wordpress.com/eating-out/

I recommend:
-Visit Cheer up Charlies: vegan chocolates, kombucha on tap, beer, wine and liquor PLUS behind Cheer Up Charlies you'll find food trailor gems like Iggy's & Me So Hungry which is owned by an incredible gal named Christina. My friend Lindsay works at Cheer Up's and she makes incredible vegan mixed drinks. Oh they also have fresh coconuts!
-Conscious Cravings: incredible chimichurri seitan wraps, spicy chickpea wraps, quinoa salads and baked rosemary fries!
-Counter Culture : Philly Seitan, Jackfruit BBQ and incredible specials like vegan pho and delicious vegan raw desserts like cheezecakes and donut holes. Sue is a genius.
-Veggie Heaven: Great inexpensive quick food around the university. A great place to stop in if you're very hungry and or tired because the staff here won't chat you up. They'll get your order and bring out your food quickly and correctly though.
-Mr. Natural on S Lamar: This is a family owned Mexican food restaurant that's 100% vegetarian with TONS of vegan options.We highly recommend ordering either a taco salad with tofu chorizo and refrid beans and rice with veggies which is huge and inexpensive or potato tacos and avocado tomatillo dipping sauce, the tofu migas which are incredible and the best in town, or *anything* from the lunch specials line. They even have vegan softserve and Mexican sweet bread.
-Bouldin Creek Cafe is 100% vegetarian and is home to the best scramble in the world. Yummy drinks and sandwiches, too.
-Thai Passion: we love their thai yellow curry with tofu. it's fresh affordable thai food that is in a really nice restaurant on 7th and OPEN TIL 3 AM! If you go late an night, you'll probably see us there. I've never had a problem with questionable sauces there. Very knowledgeable staff.
-Mothers has so much vegan food it's nuts. It's so good. You can get a burger, enchiladas and more.

-Dog Almighty has some killer tots and vegan chili dogs, vegan chili tots or fries and vegan chili burgers.

-Whole Foods: for vegan breakfast tacos, vegan sandwiches with daiya and celebration roast, daiya vegan cheeze pizza and other yummies like different types of tofu and specialty products. You must see the Whole Foods store on Lamar and 5th. It's huge and difficult to see all in one day. Try the big john cookies in the bakery cake. They also have vegan donuts in the morning with flavors like chocolate, glazed, raspberry and coconut.

-Wheatsville for popcorn tofu poboys (they recommend getting it on a hoagie but it's so much better and bigger on a yummy wheat bread) or frito pie.

-Toy Joy has incredible vegan softserve (we recommend the shakes like faux butterfinger, mint chocolate and strawberry).

-ClayPit is a nice restaurant downtown with great drinks and Indian food with several vegan options.

-Guero's on Congress: has a separate all vegan menu which has lots of yummy food

-Toms Tabooley on the drag (Guadalupe): A legend for their falafel, tofu, wraps, hummus and tabbouleh

-Spider House is a great cafe for people watching, too.

For stuff to do: Check showlistaustin.org, do512.com, austinchronicle.com
For bike rentals post on craigslist but you can also rent from several places around town at reasonable rates.

"One day you'll see, when tofu takes over the world because tofu can be anything it wants to be!" -bekki

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:42 pm 

I would love to go to that jimmy eat world show. i loved them in high school. how cool!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow, Austin looks so fun! Wish I was going there, but all I get is a crappy trip to San Antonio...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:20 pm 
Hip Goiter

My friends from law school, who are now spread around the country/globe, just decided that we are probably going to have a reunion meet-up in Austin (since it's in the middle)!!! I've never been to Texas so I am so excited that there is vegan food. But holy crepe I would go just for Tom Joy! Really CTate, vegan softserve?! ahhhh!

So who lives there!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

Damn, ctate. Talk about a comprehensive post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:32 am 
Nailed to the V

Go to Bouldin Creek Cafe. Absolute necessity. Best veggie burger I've ever had. The scramble and chorizo is also amazing. cheap booze too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Laser Ox wrote:
Damn, ctate. Talk about a comprehensive post.

yeah! I can't think of anything to add.

Sometimes it is really hot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:05 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Ooo good list! I'm coming to visit in May! I'll be at Renegade Austin this year and I'm SO EXCITED! Road trip!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Veggie heaven is my absolute favorite! If you go there, order the Protein 2000 or the Thunder Tofu and you won't be disappointed. Also, Kirby Lane has a vegan breakfast with tofu scramble, sausage, and pancakes. Last time I went they were out of the vegan pancakes, but everything else was great! And here is a good web-site to find out what is going on this weekend:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/calendar ... 011-02-11/

Last edited by sunnybear on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

Our next Vegan Drinks is on Monday the 21st at The Parlor (Hyde Park location). It'd be real cool if you stopped by.

The temperature has been going between 30 & 70 every couple days. We don't handle freezing well at all. Hopefully, we can get this out of the way & move onto steady weather soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 pm 

Hey! I am HERE! I'll try to make it to the Vegan Drinks on monday. What time?

also....is there anyplace here that serves really awesome vegan pho?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

Vegan Drinks is 7 til whenever, tomorrow.
I haven't found outstanding Vietnamese food here compared to Houston, but Sunflower up north has tofu pho.
Lulu B's trailer has a decent lemongrass tofu sandwich & vermicelli bowl, but no pho.
There is legit Thai food, though. Titaya's on North Lamar is really good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

If you go to Sunflower, get the crepe/omelet thing made out of mung bean flour.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:13 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

We are planning a short trip in May, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the food options because we're only going to be there for a few days! So Austinites, what are your absolute favorites that we shouldn't miss? If you only had a few days, where would you be sure to go? It sounds like Bouldin is a must.

Also, what are the best swimming holes in the area? Favorite record stores and bookstores?

We're thinking of staying at the Austin Motel. Is that in a decent location?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:43 pm 
Hip Goiter

elouise wrote:
We are planning a short trip in May,

When? My law school friends want to have a Memorial day reunion there. And I'd much rather ditch them and eat with vegans :)

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

RandiJM wrote:
elouise wrote:
We are planning a short trip in May,

When? My law school friends want to have a Memorial day reunion there. And I'd much rather ditch them and eat with vegans :)

Aw, sadly we are trying to avoid going during Memorial Day weekend since it would mean more expensive flights/lodging.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

elouise wrote:
We are planning a short trip in May, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all of the food options because we're only going to be there for a few days! So Austinites, what are your absolute favorites that we shouldn't miss? If you only had a few days, where would you be sure to go? It sounds like Bouldin is a must.

Also, what are the best swimming holes in the area? Favorite record stores and bookstores?

We're thinking of staying at the Austin Motel. Is that in a decent location?

You shouldn't miss Counter Culture or Bouldin Breek Coffeehouse. Make sure you have time for those two.

Austin Motel is in a perfect location in the heart of S. Congress. The rooms haven't been updated (or cleaned, seemingly) in decades, but you cannot beat the spot. They have a pool, but if that's doesn't meet your requirements definitely go to Barton Springs. People go bonkers about the swimming there. From Austin Motel you should walk to Guero's for Tex-Mex, they have a separate vegan menu, and Homeslice which in my opinion has the most incredible pizza in the world. Without cheese, it's vegan. They don't have fake cheese which I think is rad. Both places have excellent bars and are fun places to meet people and chat with locals.

Bookpeople is one of the best bookstores in America. Waterloo is one of the best record stores in the world. As luck would have it, they are both located at 6th and Lamar. Also at 6th and Lamar, the flagship Whole Foods. It's enormous and quite a tourist attraction. Very vegan friendly. Pop in for snacks to fuel all your shopping.

There are so many wonderful vegan places in Austin, but if you're super short on time I'd stick around the S. Congress area and soak up those vibes, then venture out to Counter Culture (maybe 15 minute drive) and Bouldin Creek (3 minutes from Austin Motel) if time allows.

Have a wonderful time, I left Austin a year ago for India and it has such a special place in my heart. It's one kick-as s city.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:00 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Woo, thanks Alin!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm 
Hip Goiter

Such great info!

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:53 am 

Yeah, Counter Culture and Bouldin Creek are high on my list, too. Bouldin Creek for breakfast, especially. I would add Conscious Cravings for a seitan chimichurri, which is new since Alin was here. Toy Joy for milkshakes. If you go to Guero's, they have ctate's queso now, so you can cover everything in queso.

Near Counter Culture, there's a book coop, Monkey Wrench books, and a feminist bookstore called Book Woman. Though if you only go to one bookstore, it should be Book People. And Book People is right by the flagship Whole Foods which is fun to poke around.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:22 am 
Tofu Pup

We stayed at The Park Lane Guest house in the SoCo neighborhood when we were there last July. It was awesome! We stayed in the Vicky cottage. Our substitute innkeeper, Sharee, brought us amazing tofu scramble for breakfast :) The owners were away on vacation and no other guests were there at the time. We had the pool all to ourselves. He highly recommend Bouldin Creek Coffee as well. We spent a few hours there enjoying their menu. Jim Jim's water ice, and Toy Joy!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i'm moving back to austin in a couple weeks. can. not. wait. i've lived there before, but i wasn't vegan then, just vegetarian. i'm super excited to try the new vegan restaurants and trailers that i've heard about! the best vegan meal that i remember is the kerbey lane vegan breakfast.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hi Austin!

So I am definitely coming Memorial Day weekend with 6-7 law school friends for a reunion. They have said pretty much that they want to barbeque and go to rodeos and go to Diners, Drive-ins & Dives/Man vs. Food 'restaurants' soooo anyone want to save me and/or feed me? Will anyone be around? Any good concerts going on that weekend? Also, how far away from the city center is the airport? Do I just take a cab?

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:03 am 

I think I've researched this before, and it's about a $30 cab ride or a $13 shuttle ride to downtown Austin. There's also a bus depending on where you're going. The Saturday of that weekend there's a (vegan) barbecue at an animal sanctuary outside of San Antonio, so that's probably going to be the big vegan event of the weekend. Lots of people are carpooling and we can find you a ride if you're willing to be in the car for a while.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next