All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EDMONTON: the thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

hello edmonton people! let's do things.

Post subject: Re: EDMONTON: the thread
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am happy that I came to the second page as I was just about to make the same post :)

I completely agree - we need a meet-up in the near future!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:51 am 

Ok Edmonton ppkers - how about a meet-up in November? I know we recently talked about it on the old boards. Someone mentioned going to an Ethiopian place here in the city, and I have offered to host a potluck at my place. What do you all think?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:25 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

ethiopian is good (though i live RIGHT by langano skies and therefore eat it at least once a week). potluck is also good. i think kecapcrazy is/was away (i'm not sure if she's back yet), and i haven't seen shock troops in a bit (but i can message him on fb if we figure out a date).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:45 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Just back last night....up for a meetup of some kind, either restaurant or potluck. Restaurant ideas? I do like Habesha. There is the lebanese place on whyte ave (all their veg stuff is vegan). There is a new Indian place south of whyte ave (can't think of the name now) and all their veg stuff is vegan, too, I think. I haven't tried Padmanadi's for brunch yet--I'd be game for that, too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:11 pm 

I also live close to Lagano Skies, so a new place would be nice. I didn't know there was a new Indian place, that's awesome. I also haven't been to Padamanadi for brunch, just for supper.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:08 am 

When do you all want to do this? I think we should attempt to make an actual plan or this thread is going to be lost in the abyss of the Square.

This month is really good for me aside from Rememberance Day weekend - snowboarding season is open then!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Hello one month later! Let us eat some food! Habesha or Naryannas would be kick asparagus!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:31 pm 

Is Naryannas the new Indian place near Whyte? I have heard amazing things about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Helloooo Edmonton! :) Just an idea, but there is a birthday thread about, uh, my birthday, in the Foyer (and in the Square) that doesn't specify Edmonton, but that's totally who it's for! Have a look, and see if you have any ideas, or if you can come I would LOVE to have a visit with you all!
It's January 7. Anywhere at all is good for the supper, I think "Tazza" was mis-spelled in the OP, but has anyone eaten there? I know the owner is a really awesome cook, as I have eaten his food, but I have never eaten in the restaurant...might be fun?
They have stuff like Vegetarian platters, (can be veganized, I'm sure) DOLMA, veggie paninis etc. Let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:15 pm 

I would love to be there, but am unfortunately in Calgary for a wedding that day.
Happy early birthday though!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:19 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Tazza is the place in LeMarchand Mansion? I have been there a few times and they've always been able to accommodate. I'll add it to my calendar!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

tofuligans wrote:
Tazza is the place in LeMarchand Mansion? I have been there a few times and they've always been able to accommodate. I'll add it to my calendar!

Hey, awesome! Thanks for the info on Tazza, yep, it is in Le Marchand mansion...glad you have eaten there and had a good experience. Also, I was hoping you'd be able to come, yay!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

The bday at Tazza on the 7th....it's postponed. 'til Saturday now. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I should still be able to make it, but might be a little late. Are you going for 6pm or did I just make that up when I put it in my calendar?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Awww again I am sorry to say I can't make it. Tofuligans, I can't believe it but the roads are so crappy I can't make it. :( Let's go for a raincheck? Hope it won't be too long, should the future weather cooperate. Let me know what works, when, k? Again I do apologize for not being able to make this one...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:40 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I figured that would be the case. The snow is crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hello Edmonton PPKer's! I need some help...
My boyfriend's mom lives there and is a big dog lover. His family always adopts from shelters and supports no kill shelters. Their newest family member is a beautiful dog but has some behavioral issues (from being abandoned) and because of that they have been taking her to classes and daycare so that she learns to interact better with other dogs. This is all being done at the shelter she was adopted from that has a no kill policy.
A couple days ago, she was contacted by a former staff member there that she had gotten to know over the years. This staff member informed her that the shelter has been bringing in dogs from out of the Country for adoption at the shelter. To make room, they apparently have been putting down other dogs that are local strays. I know that "no-kill" shelters have to put down animals sometimes to address over-crowding... but to make room for animals from out of the country seems kinda shady (also, considering that Edmonton is far from a "border-town" even more shady).
She feels like she has been misled by this shelter and angry because over the years she has supported them with thosands of dollars by using their services and by donating time and money in donation drives for them. She contacted me because she's not sure what she should do. So I am contacting you guys in hopes that you might know how the local system works. What would you do, who would you contact to investigate this? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi Edmonton people,

I am from Vancouver and have just been accepted to the U of A to study Occupational Therapy. I'm trying to decide between Edmonton and staying in Vancouver to go to UBC for the same program. Has anyone gone to the U of A? Know any OT students? And, what is Edmonton like in general for a vegan, other than being cold?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

THANKS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm 

Hi almiratanner!

I am a grad student in geology at the U of A right now and I love it here. However, I think you might have a hard time transitioning from Vancouver to Edmonton. This city though is pretty awesome if you give it a chance.

The U of A is pretty and the student life is active. The winters here suck though. It's super cold and long. There is a great local music scene here if you are into that kind of thing. The vegan community/resources, however, are pretty good (although not likely as good as Vancouver). There is 1 all-vegan restaurant, several vegetarian restaurants, and lots of restaurants that are vegan friendly. You can get most of the vegan products you crave at either Earth's General Store (which I highly recommend) or Planet Organic (and even some at the grocery stores such as Safeway and Save on Foods). There is a bulk barn as well in the university area. The Vegans and Vegetarians of Alberta are located in Edmonton and have a monthly potluck, as well as a monthly raw potluck.

Hmmm.... I am likely forgetting some things, let me know if you have any other questions and I am sure the other people on here will add some more info :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks Robynn,

In terms of the nightlife/downtown scene of Vancouver, I'm really not going to miss much because that's not my scene. That's great about the music though. Do you have a health plan as a grad student? What is transit like? Did you have to spend tons of money on vegan winter clothes, like boots and coats?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I also went to the U of A. I was in Law, so I was a bit isolated from the rest of campus, but my experience was pretty good. The campus is nice and generally well maintained, and there are good places to study (though not as many fancy places as McGill, where I did my undergrad!). In the winter, it can suck walking between classes, but there's no real getting around that in any city where there's real winter.

As far as Edmonton itself, if you're going to go to school there, I recommend living somewhere close to the LRT (Edmonton's "subway"). Edmonton Transit kind of sucks (or did, anyway, when I left town), but it's pretty bearable if you live along the LRT or some of the busier bus lines.

You will absolutely need winter clothes. It gets forking cold in the winter. You don't have to spent a fortune, though. You can get second hand goods, or you can usually find stuff at Winners. I found a wool-looking coat there for $45 about 4 years ago. Prepare to buy some long underwear and other good layering clothes. I used to wear a rather shocking amount of clothing on a daily basis during the winter, but that's pretty normal for Edmonton, and it beats being cold!

Edmonton can be a really cool city once you get to know it, but it can be hard to crack that surface. If you do go to the U of A, make sure to get out and do things outside of school. There's a great arts scene in Edmonton (those long hard winters are good for the creative spirit, it seems), and there are lots of outdoorsy things to do as well, even in winter.

Also, Edmonton! I think I'm visiting you in June!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Yes, layering must be key. I heard they have heated bus shelters, though, so you don't freeze while waiting for the bus.

Totally random question - what is the gym like at U of A? I'm thinking I'll be doing most of my running inside since I can barely do it outside in Vancouver winters.

Also, part of my program is a minimum 4 week placement in a rural city (I think population under 85,000). Any good suggestions for places I might want to look into? I think that placement will have me ordering nooch over the internet for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:53 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

There are SOME heated bus shelters, but they really are only the major stations. Most bus stops don't even have shelters, or if they do, they're just the simple glass things with a small bench.

The gym at the U of A is okay, but it's crazy crowded. My friend and I used to spend the extra money and go to the gym at the Kinsmen Sports Centre. It's right down the hill from campus and is HUGE and awesome.

As far as rural placement options, when I was younger, I spent a fair bit of time out in the Didsbury/Olds/Cremona area, and I great to quite like it, though you would definitely want to head into Calgary to get some groceries at least a couple times. I remember there being a great family-owned pizza place in Cremona, which, if it's still there, and if their crust is vegan, you could probably get them to make you a vegan pie (maybe even bring them some vegan cheese to go on it).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just heard that Langano skies burned down in the fire this morning. I love that restaurant. Very sad.

(Also, I work in a hospital with OTs who were trained here and they are fabulous!)