| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

seitanic, I totally thought about what you said this morning at yoga and I think it helped me. Also the room wasnt hot so it was amazing and everyone else thought I was nuts for loving the coolness.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:20 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, yoga is awesome. It's right up there among the great revelations of my life. Like, at or near the top in that category.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:43 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

PPK, I need your help! I am always in so much pain doing yoga and other exercises on the floor due to my bony asparagus/hips. I'm thinking about buying a proper yoga mat (I've been using a shag-esque carpet), but will that help? The thickest ones I can find at the moment are 1.5cm thick. Do you think this is enough, or will I have to macgyver a pillow support system?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

the extra padding of the mat should help on top of your shag carpet. If you need to use pillows in addition to that for comfort, I'd say by all means, do so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:28 am 
Tofu Pup

I miss yoga class, but I'm having a hard time fitting it into my budget. Do any of you have a favorite video/series?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

avoir_la_volonte wrote:
I miss yoga class, but I'm having a hard time fitting it into my budget. Do any of you have a favorite video/series?

My yoga class was canceled last night so I did the Shiva Rea Yoga Shakti (lunar flow or night time yoga - 50-60 minutes) before bed last night and I feel so calm and positive this morning. I do like that DVD but I find 90 minutes (two different sets of daytime practices) too long but she does have one 30 minute daytime practice. Also, you can pick and choose postures on her DVD which is probably a good thing and I imagine some really like it, but I tend to be wary of doing this, especially for beginners to achieve a balanced yoga practice on their own this way. I mean, I've been doing it for 15 years and I still like a more experienced person to dictate a balanced practice/sequence of postures rather than leaving it up to me. But yeah, I do like her set workouts.

I also like Baron Baptiste (Ashtanga), Rodney Yee (he's kind of hatha to me, which is a general practice, with a smattering of all the yogic influences together. I think hatha is great especially for starting out. It's how I started), Nicky Doane (Ashtanga), Eoin Finn's "Yoga for Happiness" has set lengths of all kinds so there's really no excuse for missing your practice - from 20 to a full 90 minutes - he's ashtanga style which is a rather physical and challenging yoga as you may already know - Kundalini practices (Nirvair Singh Khalsa - him especially = my fave and also, Gurmukh, Ravi Singh and Carol Carlsson all come to mind for good kundalini practices). Some others will surely have some excellent recommendations and I'm probably forgetting some. I have a lot of yoga DVDs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks so much! I'm challenging myself to do at least 5 days at home, and hopefully I can fit one class in per week. I've just got to do something...these winter blues are kicking my asparagus!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:54 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I got a yearly membership to My Yoga Online when it was on crazy sale ($5/month) recently and I LOVE it. Just love. I practice every morning and almost every night.
Eoin Finn's "Yoga for Happiness" is my fave; I usually do the "quickie" half-hour routine in the morning. It's a little touchy-feely and weird -- everyone in the video gets up to snuggle with the teacher after practice, like a big hug orgy -- but it's an intense workout and I feel great afterward. I've also done Yoga Nidra a couple of times and it's amazing. Really helps with my anxiety.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 pm 
Chard Martyr

Haha, I've taken classes with Eoin Finn and, if this helps in any way, he's way less creepy that portrayed on the videos. Like, WAY less.

He's a great teacher!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:54 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Shiva Rea has some excellent Dvd's. I particularly like Daily Energy. But Fluid Power & Trance Dance are also good. There is a great feature which enables you to be able to create your own practice from different sections of the dvd. You can do anything from a 5 minute meditation to a 20 minute flow & you can keep adding to them to increase the length of the practice depending on how much time/energy you have. There are also some pre-set programmes to follow too. I think they are really worth trying out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:50 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i haven't taken a bikram class in, like, forever, and i went back today. i was unrested, dehydrated, and anxious. in short: it was a pretty grim 90 minutes.

but i went, right? and getting the first class out of the way means i can go back tomorrow without the anxiety part. and, ideally, rested and hydrated!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:04 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I start up my weekly kundalini 90 minute classes in late September, calcy. I've been neglecting my practice and I know it'll be rough at first but it'll also be worth it even thought there are parts that won't be at all fun while I'm doing it. It's all about the afterwards.

And yeah, you went and it'll keep getting easier! <3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

a little while ago, i realized that i feel like i've been crying all day. that was really a rough class for me, emotionally and physically. it doesn't help that my life is starting to get really hectic and complicated.

anyway, onward and upward.

my bff used to crow about kundalini; she loved it. one of these days, i'm gonna seriously explore all the options out there...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just went to my first yoga class yesterday and it was amazing! I am hooked. I've done at home dvd's before, but they are nothing like what the class was. It was gentle vinyasa class and the instructor was great at soothing and giving direction. I felt totally comfortable and at ease through the whole thing. Can't wait to go back!

We did this meditation thing at the end with heated eye pillows. Anyone know what the proper term for it might be? She was spouting off the real names for everything so fast I couldn't figure out what it was called. But it was wonderful.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:50 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

i just started going to bikram yoga classes and got really sick (dehydration, vomiting, etc) after each of the first three classes i went to. i'm hoping that this week will be better. we'll see how it goes!

(formerly known as wintermitts)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mollytea wrote:
i just started going to bikram yoga classes and got really sick (dehydration, vomiting, etc) after each of the first three classes i went to. i'm hoping that this week will be better. we'll see how it goes!

That's not good. Make sure to be really hydrated and don't push yourself when you are starting out. I used to err on the side of drinking too much water during the day, that I often had to leave class to pee once I hit the spine strengthening series and was laying on my stomach. When I first started I would only do one set of each of the standing postures and sit down to watch the other set. Now that I've been going for so long the heat doesn't affect me nearly as often as it did at the beginning. Although I still have the off class where I feel like I'm going to die.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:45 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i used to do kriya but i've been doing kripalu (yoga groupons are the best!) and i'm doing hatha (groupon!) next but then i'll probably go back to my kripalu lady because i think i love her. i still miss my kriya guy but i'm too far away now. sad.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:02 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

yeah, mollytea, it's best not to push yourself so hard at yoga that you're feeling ill. Any bad feelings are usually a sign you've gone too far into the postures before being ready, so ease back and realize that it takes work and practice sometimes to get into a full posture. I always use my breath as my guide for knowing how far to go because once you lose the smooth flow of your breath in a posture and your breath becomes ragged or it's difficult to breathe, that's a sign you've gone too far, so ease back to the point where you can still maintain a smooth breath and then play with your edge from there--you're smooth breathing is a good guide that anyone can use while practicing to stay in your zone.

One of my exes from years ago used to tease me about my "kamikaze yoga" practice because I'd definitely push myself too hard and looked at it as a physical exercise as opposed to a meditation--and while yoga is a physical exercise and can be a very demanding one, I've tried to look at more as a meditation these days because that's better for me and better for my body and mind and I see true progress through being patient with myself rather than pretzeling myself into positions my body isn't ready for.

I've been doing more yoga lately and feelin' awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

GraciaKai wrote:
I just went to my first yoga class yesterday and it was amazing! I am hooked. I've done at home dvd's before, but they are nothing like what the class was. It was gentle vinyasa class and the instructor was great at soothing and giving direction. I felt totally comfortable and at ease through the whole thing. Can't wait to go back!

We did this meditation thing at the end with heated eye pillows. Anyone know what the proper term for it might be? She was spouting off the real names for everything so fast I couldn't figure out what it was called. But it was wonderful.

GraciaKai - i think you are referring to savasana, it's also called "corpse pose".

i'm so glad you loved your yoga class! isn't it the best?! i'm just getting into ashtanga yoga these days, it's a change up from my usual vinyasa and hatha classes, but i love it, too!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:30 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just moved to Austin and am looking for a good yoga studio to join so I can get back to a regular yoga practice. Anyone in the area have recommendations?

In the meantime, I'll share these videos that leave my lazy bum in awe. I should be motivated, but just watching the videos make me feel like I've worked out. Hehe.
Briohny Smyth of Equinox
Time lapse of Meghan Currie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

i love yoga. i have been going to this place in my neighborhood that seems to have a lot of dancers... or maybe they are gymnasts. they do crazy, beautiful moves involving basically floating from plank to standing with no jumping involved. i's a little intimidating so i am feeling slightly less motivated to go there.
thinking about starting bikrim for faster results.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So there are these free yoga classes in the town square section of the Shops at Don Mills (for anyone who lives in this 'hood, they are held every Tuesday and Thursday, 7-8:00 p.m. (here's the Events page link in case you're interested: http://www.shopsatdonmills.ca/en/custom ... vents.aspx ) This is at Don Mills and Lawrence Ave in Toronto.
So anyway, I go to this class which is free and weather permitting it's held outdoors and because the instructor was awesome, it was an AMAZING class. The instructor gave wonderful instruction with excellent cues and saying the right things at the right times--I've been practicing for 15 years and my sister a few years now and we both learned stuff from this guy. The routine was challenging but also gentle with thorough instruction for alignment and modification and something for all levels of practice. He emphasizes the spiritual aspect of yoga and that it's not just a workout. I felt so relaxed and positive the next day. This is run through the Titika store btw. Anyhoo, the guy who was instructor is opening up a studio at the Shops in December but he runs the free class at the town square every second Tuesday through the summer. Anyway, I highly recommend going to the free sessions when this guy is on because it was a great class and once his studio opens in December, I'll definitely pay him for lessons. I actually felt kind of like a thief when I left because it was free--you know, I pay for classes all the time that weren't as beneficial as that one. My sister and I plan to go to all of his sessions through the summer. Anyway, if you live around here and are interested in trying some yoga, give it a shot!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I'm on day 2 of a 21 day yoga challenge to help the time pass while my guy is away at an artist residency! The challenge means, to fit my schedule I'm going to have to mix up my classes and take some restoratives and advanced classes that I would normally shy away from. I want to be able to kick up to headstand by the end of the three weeks, but my only expectation is to actually make it to practice every day. I'm excited! Woo! Yoga :)

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

so awesome, indexandicon! while i don't practice yoga every day, i do practice 6 days a week (ashtanga, mysore style) - and i love it so much. getting out of your comfort zone is an awesome thing; that's how i started ashtanga - i thought, "i am too ___ and ____, i'm not ___ and ____enough to do this." but i nutted up, tried it anyways and i cannot get enough. i think it rocks the most socks you've taken on the challenge!

keep us posted on how it's going and hoooooooooray for all the awesome yoga!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:14 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Thanks happy :) So far, so good! My obliques are KILLING me, but I feel like going everyday is leading to some really major breakthroughs via repetition and I feel immediately stronger. Yesterday I wound up having a semi-private class because only one other person showed up, and it was a pretty profound experience.

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next