| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Aussie & NZ Thread!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:50 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Erinnerung wrote:
I used to judge people on their coffee orders when I was a barista. I was always nicest to the people who just ordered black, brewed coffee and less friendly (but still vaguely pleasant) to the ones that just came in for a bucket of sugar and whipped cream.

Once I was getting a coffee and one of the dudes that worked there was going on about how he hated how people were all 'fancy' with their coffee " oh yeah, can I have a skim, soy, tall, flat white etc..." and was a little embarrased when the barista called out for me to pick up my tall soy flat white...

I prefer using self-checkout, mostly because no matter how I put my stuff on the conveyor belt on a 'person' checkout they always pack it completely the wrong way. But I do find the safeway/woolies one to be so fussy and will have an error when I've hardly touched it. The coles one is a bit more user friendly!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ladypenelope wrote:
I prefer using self-checkout, mostly because no matter how I put my stuff on the conveyor belt on a 'person' checkout they always pack it completely the wrong way. But I do find the safeway/woolies one to be so fussy and will have an error when I've hardly touched it. The coles one is a bit more user friendly!

Yesm, the ones at Coles are much better and way less buggy.

For_Esme wrote:
Hello :)

Hey!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ladypenelope wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
I used to judge people on their coffee orders when I was a barista. I was always nicest to the people who just ordered black, brewed coffee and less friendly (but still vaguely pleasant) to the ones that just came in for a bucket of sugar and whipped cream.

Once I was getting a coffee and one of the dudes that worked there was going on about how he hated how people were all 'fancy' with their coffee " oh yeah, can I have a skim, soy, tall, flat white etc..." and was a little embarrased when the barista called out for me to pick up my tall soy flat white...

That's not bad at all! I used to get people who wanted three kinds of syrups, a quarter of a shot of coffee and double whipped cream... all inexplicably with skim milk.

And we don't have Coles self-checkouts! Maybe it's because of the booze.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So you can judge others: just came back from Loving Hut. Yes, I went on Saturday AND tonight. I'm a little piggy. OINK OINK!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:32 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

My judgement says that you are a lucky koala! I went to My Heart Garden for lunch today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:14 pm 

Veglicious wrote:
My judgement says that you are a lucky koala! I went to My Heart Garden for lunch today.

Cool! Are you a UQ student?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:48 pm 

Dammit I'm hungry now. And all my doughnuts from La Panella are finished. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Im going to go to Loving Hut during my lunch break on Friday, i really want some more of those yummy wonton things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:30 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Im going to go to Loving Hut during my lunch break on Friday, i really want some more of those yummy wonton things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

schwa wrote:
Dammit I'm hungry now. And all my doughnuts from La Panella are finished. :(

If you get to go more than once a year then I have no sympathy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

so this is probably not the correct place to ask, but anyone know of any kiwi sources of either agave and/or liquid smoke?
We've got a mate coming over from California next month and I'm contemplating ordering some online delivered to his place and get him to bring them over for us because I've never spotted either in any shops around here, but thought I'd check the source of all knowledge first! : )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:34 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

oncewerewesties wrote:
so this is probably not the correct place to ask, but anyone know of any kiwi sources of either agave and/or liquid smoke?
We've got a mate coming over from California next month and I'm contemplating ordering some online delivered to his place and get him to bring them over for us because I've never spotted either in any shops around here, but thought I'd check the source of all knowledge first! : )

Huckleberry Farms has agave (They are only in Auckland, but do deliveries). As for liquid smoke, i don't think there is a source in NZ for it. If you dont mind ordering it from Australia you could try USA Foods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been wanting liquid smoke for a while too. I can't find it here, but I'm going to Adelaide tonight (YAY) so I'll try to have a look at the markets there. If that fails, I'm getting it online.

I'm so excited to be going home, I haven't been since like April or something. Tomorrow I'm going to my favourite vegan burger place and I'm going to eat a burger bigger than my head. Physical challenge, YEAH.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Erinnerung wrote:
I've been wanting liquid smoke for a while too. I can't find it here, but I'm going to Adelaide tonight (YAY) so I'll try to have a look at the markets there. If that fails, I'm getting it online.

I'm so excited to be going home, I haven't been since like April or something. Tomorrow I'm going to my favourite vegan burger place and I'm going to eat a burger bigger than my head. Physical challenge, YEAH.

I got mine at the Essential Ingredient Store, google tells me you have one in Canberra so you might be able to get it there?

I am also interested to hear how this gigantic burger eating turns out :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ladypenelope wrote:
I got mine at the Essential Ingredient Store, google tells me you have one in Canberra so you might be able to get it there?

I totally thought there might be some there but I couldn't be bothered going. I'll have to be less lazy and try it! I've never been there, but I've seen the wanky ads for it during Masterchef. 'I only use Murray River salt flakes'. Shut up, I use Coles Smart Buy and it's fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:10 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Erinnerung wrote:
ladypenelope wrote:

I totally thought there might be some there but I couldn't be bothered going. I'll have to be less lazy and try it! I've never been there, but I've seen the wanky ads for it during Masterchef. 'I only use Murray River salt flakes'. Shut up, I use Coles Smart Buy and it's fine.

I did walk around the entire store trying to find it (not that I minded, I have a total ladyboner for kitchenwares), so maybe ask if/when you go. I don't think it was even that expensive, maybe $8 for ~100mL.

And I only use Murray River salt flakes because my sister got it for me :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:33 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Sforzando wrote:
oncewerewesties wrote:

Huckleberry Farms has agave (They are only in Auckland, but do deliveries). As for liquid smoke, i don't think there is a source in NZ for it. If you dont mind ordering it from Australia you could try USA Foods.

Nelson Naturally (NZ) sell liquid smoke online - two flavours even! Postage isn't outrageous. I have 100mls of hickory and maple and it'll take forever to get through a bottle.

Zarbo also sells it I think (at least they did a year or so ago), but more expensive and smaller bottles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:25 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

melanie wrote:
Sforzando wrote:
oncewerewesties wrote:

Nelson Naturally (NZ) sell liquid smoke online - two flavours even! Postage isn't outrageous. I have 100mls of hickory and maple and it'll take forever to get through a bottle.
I totally never knew zarbo sold it, i used to go to that shop all the time, but i never checked to see if they sold it.
Zarbo also sells it I think (at least they did a year or so ago), but more expensive and smaller bottles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:54 am 

I get liquid smoke and agave from my local Deli (Toowong village). If you have delis around you maybe ring them up and see if they can carry it. I think all the health food stores here sell agave but I couldn't find liquid smoke for ages (turns out it was at the deli all along but I never thought to look there for it).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:01 am 
Tofu Pup

Are any other Perth veg*ns going to the ARA Cruelty-Free Festival in Subi on Saturday?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:18 am 

KoalaT wrote:
Veglicious wrote:

Cool! Are you a UQ student?

Yeah I am!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:46 pm 

melanie wrote:

Sforzando wrote:

sweet, thanks guys, will check those out! : )

Erinnerung wrote:

sounds amazing! Burger place that does vegan burgers or actual vegan burger place? Jealous if you've got an all-veg burger haunt!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

oncewerewesties wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:

sounds amazing! Burger place that does vegan burgers or actual vegan burger place? Jealous if you've got an all-veg burger haunt!

It's all vegan! And they have awesome vegan desserts, like ice cream and chocolate mousse, but I'm usually too full to eat them. It's a really tiny place and it's always packed though, so sometimes you have to wait for a seat. So many more vegan options here than in Canberra.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:40 pm 

Erinnerung wrote:

It's all vegan! And they have awesome vegan desserts, like ice cream and chocolate mousse, but I'm usually too full to eat them. It's a really tiny place and it's always packed though, so sometimes you have to wait for a seat. So many more vegan options here than in Canberra.

that is entirely kickarse.

I'm just stoked that places like burgerfuel and handmade burgers have an option for us, I can't imagine how great it would be to have the run of the entire menu!
That being said, I'm pretty rubbish at making decisions on food because I'm so used to not having any choices, so I'd probably annoy the hell out of whoever I went to a place like that with...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

oncewerewesties wrote:

SAFE Cruelty Free sells agave http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.nz/foo ... #blueAgave (but so should most health food stores) as well as liquid smoke http://www.choosecrueltyfree.org.nz/foo ... iquidSmoke

Erinnerung wrote:

Sugar Fix stores sell some US products incl. liquid smoke and do some of the larger veggie shops. If you can't it, let me know.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next