All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Where would PPK live?
House of friend's friend in the bustling metropolis 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
Vegan Intentional Community 67%  67%  [ 44 ]
Swanky house on the outskirts 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Coworker's house needing roommates 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Suck it up and be a grown up that gets their own place 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 66
 Post subject: PPK help me to decide where to live!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:55 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

So, I'm moving to Asheville. Problem is that I have TOO many options of where to live and they all have their own plusses. Its very hard to pick!

Possibilities:
1) Friend of a friend's house, walking distance to places to hang out (and vegan ice cream!). Homeowner is a physical therapy student (possibility for carpooling to school which is an hour away) and yoga instructor. She isn't veg but is veg friendly. She's queer so she'd probably have friend's that I could meet and so this could improve my dating situation; the neighborhood is like lesbianville, to boot. Its a cute and comfy house with a garden. Middle priced.
Minuses- Small, not much storage.

2) Intentional community- I've always wanted to live in one, and this one has a room open right now. Solar panels, many fruit trees, garden and high efficiency appliances, as well as a wood heat stove (though there is also a propane heater as well). The community is vegan! I will get to have vegan "family" dinners! It is also a half a mile from John P's Asheville house, but of course he's not around very often. Cheapest place to live, while also being the biggest room. There is more storage though its garage storage so bugs can get into thing or stuff can leak or whatever. Closest to work as roommate places go. Walking distance to Amazing Savings, land of health food store closeout magicalness (Got 5lbs of Daiya for $3!) nThere is a family with a cute little 3 YO there all the time and the others seem more transient. I'll get to meet many people I suspect, however they could be a different demographic...
minuses- While the house is cool, its got that weird old house smell- I'm sure I'd get used to it though. The land needs a lot of work and i'd feel guilty about not having time to do much on it til I'm done with school too.

3) Swanky house on the outskirts of town (but still conveniently located to the highway and town) owned by a guy who was recently divorced. He seems cool though almost too cool for me? Maybe that's just my bad self esteem talking. He works at a BBQ joint though, but this means he doesn't bother cooking at home. House is really nice and has lots of storage. He also really like The Big Lebowski, which is awesome- he's actually been to Lebowski fest. No garden that I can tell, but the house is heated with biodiesel. Probably least chance for meeting new people but I don't know for sure. Only place with a TV; I actually kinda like TV myself and I have one but don't know if it will be used much in the other places. Most expensive...but its only a difference of $100/month. Least competition for fridge space too. Awesome big kitchen.
minuses- Already mentioned that it seems like the least likely place for me to make friends, but who knows! I could be wrong. He has a cute chihuahua.. However I'm allergic to dogs. His ex wife can take the dog and he said that's fine but I'd also kinda feel bad about keeping him from his cute pup. I'd probably be able to handle occasional doggie visits though.

4) Rent my friend's house. I know nothing about it, except I'm sure I can't afford it on my own. Its also not in Asheville, its in a suburb. Would be doing a coworker a favor.
Minus- would need to find a roommate, its in the 'burbs in the wrong direction from school.

5) My own place, like a real grownup. Doing a different coworker a favor. Expensive for by myself- while I can afford it, don't know if I want to. VERY close to work.

Post subject: Re: PPK help me to decide where to live!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Go for the community. It will be a good way to meet people and the vegans that live there probably know other vegans. It sounds very cool!

(second choice: live alone! Living alone is awesome! You can leave your underwear in the middle of the kitchen floor!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:07 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I say the community. It sounds amazing and since you have always wanted to, how can you say no?

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:11 pm 
Dead by dawn

I'd say 1 or 2 sound like your best bet. If you've always wanted to be part of an intentional community, here's your chance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The community sounds like fun. And if you've always wanted to do it, you should take the opportunity while it's there.

You should also hang out with the friend of friend and make out with all her friends.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i'd pick the community, it sounds like it would be really fun and a good way to meet cool people!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:56 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm an urbanite at heart, so I voted for the friend's friend's house. But the community sounds interesting too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Live in the intentional community and make friends with your friend's friend and then hang out at her place a lot. Have your cake and eat it too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

first two are the best options... the bbq dude? that'll be gross when he brings home meat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

choirqueer wrote:
Live in the intentional community and make friends with your friend's friend and then hang out at her place a lot. Have your cake and eat it too!
Exactly! For garage storage, store your items in garbage bags and off the ground on pallets. I would bet lemon water would help combat a musty smell.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm voting for 1 because I have lived in an intentional community - an experience which beat romantic ideas about such communities out of me. Not easy. But, as it is close by and vegan, you should tell me more about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 am 
Impressive boner

I'm voting for 1 as there seems to be a great opportunity to meet new people that way.

Asheville seems awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'd say the community (my second would be your friend's house). Your "minuses" for this house aren't bad at all. You'll definitely get used to the smell (or just bring some plants inside - ferns are good for air circulation), and I'm sure they would appreciate any help you could spare, no matter how miniscule. Plus, it just sounds like such an awesome place to live!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I vote for house of friend's friend for its convenient location, or the vegan community. Depends on what those vegans are like!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:38 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'd love to live with a bunch of other vegans! I love my husband, but having to stare at his dinner plate across the table every night, not so fun...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Bustling metropolis! Or vegans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I picked #1, but #2 is a close second. Both sound like you'd be pretty happy!

You didn't mention how long you were looking to live in these places (or how long your lease would be). If you can sign on for a year or less, or an indefinite period of time, the community is a good call, but if you're thinking you don't want to move again (even to another apartment or something) for a long time, think which option seems the most sustainable ("sustainable" as in "something you can put up with the longest," not "most environmentally friendly"). If something sours in a community living situation, it can be awful feeling stuck there, even if you're not a part of whatever went wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:47 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I would have to say 5 or 2 really. If 2 would make you more comfortable, go for it.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 am 
Saggy Butt

johnp wrote:
I'm voting for 1 because I have lived in an intentional community - an experience which beat romantic ideas about such communities out of me. Not easy.

Ha, agreed! But i still vote for that because i think it's something everyone should do once in their life.