| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What do YOU guys think??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Vegans don't eat animal products. Eggs are an animal product.

/debate.

Wanna join me in some road kill stew?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:15 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I like compassionate vegetarian.

Thank you for rescuing the hens!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:28 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I've thought before that if I had ex factory-farm hens I would eat the eggs but I never heard about feeding them back to them before! I must admit it sounds a bit creepy but if it has research behind it then that's a good idea. The smell/texture/taste of eggs doesn't really appeal to me anymore and I can do awesome baking without them so I'm content to leave them to the animals. Don't stress over labels but if anyone asks you can say you don't eat or wear animal products except for the eggs that come from your foster chickens because you can actively see and monitor how they are treated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

YOu know the egg eating hen thing is funny. A quick google only brings up how to cure egg eating in hens (culling the offender apparently :P) and I know I had one egg eater in my flock, but she died a couple of months ago :(
Tried to find something about it being harmful but couldn't.... damn sites only interested in stopping them.
I don't THINK it would harm them, not in the same way as feeding animal derivatives to cows and pigs does.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:54 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Veglicious wrote:
I've thought before that if I had ex factory-farm hens I would eat the eggs but I never heard about feeding them back to them before! I must admit it sounds a bit creepy but if it has research behind it then that's a good idea. The smell/texture/taste of eggs doesn't really appeal to me anymore and I can do awesome baking without them so I'm content to leave them to the animals. Don't stress over labels but if anyone asks you can say you don't eat or wear animal products except for the eggs that come from your foster chickens because you can actively see and monitor how they are treated.

I think on refelction I would rather let the hens retire and eat their eggs (after all I have to buy their food :P) and NOT be a card carrying vegan than not rescue them. I feel proud that my girls have had an extra 1-2 years (so far) of free range hen happiness and if the shedding of a label is the price then so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:58 am 
Nailed to the V

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:
YOu know the egg eating hen thing is funny. A quick google only brings up how to cure egg eating in hens (culling the offender apparently :P) and I know I had one egg eater in my flock, but she died a couple of months ago :(
Tried to find something about it being harmful but couldn't.... damn sites only interested in stopping them.
I don't THINK it would harm them, not in the same way as feeding animal derivatives to cows and pigs does.

I asked about this when I visited Sunny Day Farms & she said that feeding the eggs back can extend their short lives. We were talking about genetically modified turkeys, but I imagine it applies to chickens. That or the dogs eat the eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:05 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

HandsInTheDirtAgain wrote:

I used to volunteer at Hen Heaven, a local chicken & turkey sanctuary & they fed all the eggs back to the hens or gave them away to people who would otherwise be buying eggs.

Not-For-Profit Cupcakes: Operation Icing.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4